How to link APRS Messenger with APRSIS32

jandgandjochem <vk2jng@...>

Can someone help me with what and where I have to set to get the above two programs linked.

Port for APRS is 8063 I think.

Cheers,
VK2JNG
Gerard

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, the default TCP port for APRS Messenger is 8063. In APRSISCE/32, click Configure then TEXT. When prompted for "Configure as TCP/IP Port", click Yes. If running on the same machine, the IP or DNS: will be 127.0.0.1. Otherwise, you'll need to enter the IP address where APRS Messenger runs. The Port: should be 8063. The Xmit button doesn't do anything yet. Once that is all set, click Ok.

After configuring a new port (any kind of port), you need to close and restart the APRSISCE/32 client, so do that now.

After the restart, you'll be able to Enables / TEXT Enabled. APRS Messenger should give you a popup about having a new connection. All good decodes will show up in your APRSISCE/32 client. If you check Messages / My Messages, then all messages received for any -SSID on your callsign will be displayed by APRSISCE/32. Note that this is only available in the latest version (2010/03/19 or later).

APRS Messenger doesn't support initiating transmissions from this port yet, but at least you can see where the stations are that you're receiving as well as have a buffer of the successfully decoded messages addressed to you callsign.

Oh, and you should run APRSISCE/32 and APRS Messenger each with its own -SSID to avoid possible confusion.

PS. I've cross-copied this to the cross-country list in case other are interested.

jandgandjochem wrote:

Can someone help me with what and where I have to set to get the above two programs linked.

Port for APRS is 8063 I think.

Cheers,
VK2JNG
Gerard

g4ilo

Lynn,

I was going to ask this in the CCW group but as it is relevant to the topic that has just been brought up here, I'll ask here instead. What SSIDs should I use for APRS Messenger and APRSIS/32 both running at a fixed station?

I see that some APRS Mesenger users are using -63 (for PSK63) but I have also seen posts here where you have said that if an RF connection is present the SSIDs must be in the range -00 to -15.

At my station APRS Mesenger is connected to HF (30m) only, and APRSIS/32 is connected only to APRS Messenger.

Also, which of the two programs should be connected to APRS-IS (or should both be connected)? As far as I can see, APRSIS/32 will send to the internet any good packets received from HF by APRS Messenger, so I don't see any need to enable Messenger's own APRS-IS connection. But I could be missing something.

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

g4ilo wrote:
Lynn,

I was going to ask this in the CCW group but as it is relevant to the topic that has just been brought up here, I'll ask here instead. What SSIDs should I use for APRS Messenger and APRSIS/32 both running at a fixed station?
That's a very good question. And the very good answer is that "it's up to you and your preferences", BUT...

I see that some APRS Mesenger users are using -63 (for PSK63) but I have also seen posts here where you have said that if an RF connection is present the SSIDs must be in the range -00 to -15.
Yes, it has been recommended that APRS Messenger be configured with an -SSID of 63 representative of PSK-63. That works because the -00 to -15 restriction is only applicable to packets that will be transmitted natively over AX.25. The AX.25 callsign encoding only allows 4 bits for the binary -SSID. PSK-63 actually transmits the whole packet as ASCII, so there is no numeric or range restriction on the -SSID.

Now, you may ask about gating PSK-63 packets onto an AX.25 RF channel. All such gating should be wrapped as a third-party packet by the transmitting station, not the originating station. The original packet is contained in the payload of the new packet allowing for any -SSID to traverse such a link without issue. Only the native AX.25 station is restricted to -00 to -15.

At my station APRS Mesenger is connected to HF (30m) only, and APRSIS/32 is connected only to APRS Messenger.

Also, which of the two programs should be connected to APRS-IS (or should both be connected)? As far as I can see, APRSIS/32 will send to the internet any good packets received from HF by APRS Messenger, so I don't see any need to enable Messenger's own APRS-IS connection. But I could be missing something.
That's another good question, and one that I haven't thought a whole lot about. I personally run the APRS-IS connection only from APRSIS32 (KJ4ERJ-1) and only have APRS Messenger (receive-only yet as KJ4ERJ-63) connected to RF. I'm also running the latest version of APRSIS32 with Messages / My Messages toggled on so it will field APRS messages for ANY -SSID with KJ4ERJ as the primary callsign. That way I can use the (IMHO) friendly interface of APRSISCE/32 for messaging even if the source was PSK-63.

As with most new software, actual "best" practices will evolve over time and the only thing I can state with certainty at this point is that every unique program or standalone APRS RF device should have its own unique -SSID.

Any other opinions?

PS. Cross-posting this to Cross Country as well!

g4ilo

Thanks.

That's another good question, and one that I haven't thought a whole lot
about. I personally run the APRS-IS connection only from APRSIS32
(KJ4ERJ-1) and only have APRS Messenger (receive-only yet as KJ4ERJ-63)
connected to RF. I'm also running the latest version of APRSIS32 with
Messages / My Messages toggled on so it will field APRS messages for ANY
-SSID with KJ4ERJ as the primary callsign. That way I can use the
(IMHO) friendly interface of APRSISCE/32 for messaging even if the
source was PSK-63.
OK that's what I am doing too. Though at the moment I don't seem to be able to send a mesage from APRSIS/32 over PSK63. How would APRSIS/32 know how to send a particular message? (I guess this would be similar to specifying I or (port) 1 in UI-View. I don't recall seeing a similar option in your program.)

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

g4ilo wrote:

That's another good question, and one that I haven't thought a whole lot about. I personally run the APRS-IS connection only from APRSIS32 (KJ4ERJ-1) and only have APRS Messenger (receive-only yet as KJ4ERJ-63) connected to RF. I'm also running the latest version of APRSIS32 with Messages / My Messages toggled on so it will field APRS messages for ANY -SSID with KJ4ERJ as the primary callsign. That way I can use the (IMHO) friendly interface of APRSISCE/32 for messaging even if the source was PSK-63.
OK that's what I am doing too. Though at the moment I don't seem to be able to send a mesage from APRSIS/32 over PSK63. How would APRSIS/32 know how to send a particular message? (I guess this would be similar to specifying I or (port) 1 in UI-View. I don't recall seeing a similar option in your program.
Right now, APRSISCE/32 sends all messages over all configured RF ports. However, even though APRSISCE/32 sends the message via the TEXT port to APRS Messenger, it doesn't go further than that because APRS Messenger doesn't support transmitting from that connection yet.

I have ToDo list items to only send the message on the RF port(s) where the destination callsign was "recently" heard "local". If none of the ports apply and APRS-IS is enabled, it will only be sent there. If APRS-IS is not enabled, the message will still be sent over all configured RF ports. if none of them have heard the target. I also plan to support individual port configurability on a number of different aspects. The ToDo list is at the bottom of the most recent release notes in the Yahoo group Files section.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ