Topics

How to edit or delete PHG from aprs.fi


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

http://blog.aprs.fi/2009/02/deleting-old-phg-data.html

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/4/2021 5:25 PM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Folks,  one of my generic SSID have this PHG entered.  I think I may have used APRSIS32 In the past on this SSID.  Now i no longer using it with APRSIS32,  how do I rid of the PHG?

My current HT/Mobile radios does not see to have and option to edit them.  I can only send beacon text or MIC-E but not PHG.

Thanks, Kit


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Just put "PHG0000" without the quotes at the end of your comment text.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/4/2021 5:25 PM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Folks,  one of my generic SSID have this PHG entered.  I think I may have used APRSIS32 In the past on this SSID.  Now i no longer using it with APRSIS32,  how do I rid of the PHG?

My current HT/Mobile radios does not see to have and option to edit them.  I can only send beacon text or MIC-E but not PHG.

Thanks, Kit


Komkit Listisard
 

Lynn,

What is the different between APRSIS32 "comment" text comparing to another radios with beacon status or comment text?   I have tried to rid of an unwanted PHG by using the radios (FT2D, FT3D, FTM-100 and FTM-400 - I could not find the way to enter PHG0000 to clear it.

I have to fired up APRSIS32 and edited the SSID to the SSID that I want to clear the PHG and that was the only way that worked.

Is the "comment" field a special field that ordinary APRS radio does not have and only existed with APRSIS32?

73, Kit W3KIT


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Different radios call it different things, and unfortunately I believe some radios call the Mic-E "status" field their "comment".

But I believe that every APRS-capable radio has somewhere that you can enter free-form text to be included with your position beacon and that's exactly where the PGH00000 would have gone to clear out aprs.fi's memory.

There is nothing "special" about APRSIS32's "comment" text, it's all in the label given.

I don't have any Yaesu APRS radios, but in my Kenwood D74, there's a "Position Comment" (menu 502) which is NOT it (that's the Mic-E select-a-status from a list including things like Enroute, In Service, Returning, and so forth) and "Status Text" (Menu 503) which is where you can pre-configure up to 5 different free-form texts and select one to be included on beacons.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

PS.  It looks like Yaesu does something similar to the D74.  I've attached 3 pages from the Yaesu APRS manual where it describes the required free-form comment text.

On 2/5/2021 5:19 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Lynn,

What is the different between APRSIS32 "comment" text comparing to another radios with beacon status or comment text?   I have tried to rid of an unwanted PHG by using the radios (FT2D, FT3D, FTM-100 and FTM-400 - I could not find the way to enter PHG0000 to clear it.

I have to fired up APRSIS32 and edited the SSID to the SSID that I want to clear the PHG and that was the only way that worked.

Is the "comment" field a special field that ordinary APRS radio does not have and only existed with APRSIS32?

73, Kit W3KIT


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

I should have also mentioned that when doing the PHG0000 from a radio, you need to transmit the beacon containing the text in range of an IGate to get it through the APRS-IS to aprs.fi.  Checking the raw packets of the station that transmitted the packet should be sufficient to ensure that at least one has been delivered.  aprs.fi's Decoded view is also quite informative to ensure that it interpreted your intent correctly.

It appears that you actually DID get the PHG0000 entered into a radio correctly, but aprs.fi's parser didn't parse it.

2021-02-04 17:19:52 EST: W3KIT>SYPR8P,KV3B-2*,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,W4KEL-12:`iZNl!z0\`"5&}PHG0000_%
   type: location
   format: mice
   srccallsign: W3KIT
   dstcallsign: SYPR8P
   latitude: 39.046666666667 °
   longitude: -77.041666666667 °
   course: 194 °
   speed: 0 km/h
   altitude: 106 m
   symboltable: \
   symbolcode: 0
   mbits: 111
   posresolution: 18.52 m
   posambiguity: 0
   comment: `PHG0000_%
But when you did it from APRSIS32, it got the PHG extracted correctly.

2021-02-04 17:55:22 EST: W3KIT>APWW11,KV3B-2,WIDE2*,qAR,WB2IFS-10:@225520h/:eml;#%W- sTPHG0000
   type: location
   format: compressed
   srccallsign: W3KIT
   dstcallsign: APWW11
   latitude: 39.046864745384 °
   longitude: -77.04128360889 °
   symboltable: /
   symbolcode: -
   messaging: 1
   posresolution: 0.291 m
   phg: 0000
   timestamp: 1612479320 - 2021-02-04 17:55:20 EST
So it seems that where the radio put the comment caused aprs.fi's parser to see a leading ` which caused it to not "see" the PHG0000 for what it was intended to be.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

PS.  In the future, please state exactly callsign-SSIDs when asking for help.  It took me a while to translate "one of my generic SSID" to W3KIT with no (actually -0) SSID to find the actual station you were trying to fix.

On 2/5/2021 9:20 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

Different radios call it different things, and unfortunately I believe some radios call the Mic-E "status" field their "comment".

But I believe that every APRS-capable radio has somewhere that you can enter free-form text to be included with your position beacon and that's exactly where the PGH00000 would have gone to clear out aprs.fi's memory.

There is nothing "special" about APRSIS32's "comment" text, it's all in the label given.

I don't have any Yaesu APRS radios, but in my Kenwood D74, there's a "Position Comment" (menu 502) which is NOT it (that's the Mic-E select-a-status from a list including things like Enroute, In Service, Returning, and so forth) and "Status Text" (Menu 503) which is where you can pre-configure up to 5 different free-form texts and select one to be included on beacons.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

PS.  It looks like Yaesu does something similar to the D74.  I've attached 3 pages from the Yaesu APRS manual where it describes the required free-form comment text.

On 2/5/2021 5:19 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Lynn,

What is the different between APRSIS32 "comment" text comparing to another radios with beacon status or comment text?   I have tried to rid of an unwanted PHG by using the radios (FT2D, FT3D, FTM-100 and FTM-400 - I could not find the way to enter PHG0000 to clear it.

I have to fired up APRSIS32 and edited the SSID to the SSID that I want to clear the PHG and that was the only way that worked.

Is the "comment" field a special field that ordinary APRS radio does not have and only existed with APRSIS32?

73, Kit W3KIT


Komkit Listisard
 

Lynn,

Thank you for the reply.  Sorry, I forgot to indicate the SSID in question.  At any rate,  Yaesu radios I have none of the "CUSTOM 0-6" can not be edited.  I am not even sure what they were named "CUSTOM" when one can not be edited.  I post on Yaesu Facebook asking how to edit those "CUSTOM" field but my question was never approved by Yaesu admin, so it never got posted.

Yaesu MIC-E can not be edited,  I can only "select" which one of the pre-defined I wanted to use.

At the end of the day I was able to removed the PHG I did not want from the aprs.fi, just had to do it using your program.

73, Kit W3KIT


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Did you look at the PDF that I previously attached of pages 38-41 of the FT2DR APRS manual?  I'm not talking about the Mic-E comments that includes the Custom options, but the actual free-form text entry and subsequent selection.  The Mic-E statuses are truly just "Custom" and it is up to the local viewer to interpret what they mean completely outside of APRS.  From aprs101.pdf:

This is NOT the free-form text entry capablity described on pages 38 to 41 of the FT2DR APRS manual and also NOT where you neeeded to have put the PHG0000.  But that's all water under the bridge now.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/5/2021 10:24 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Lynn,

Thank you for the reply.  Sorry, I forgot to indicate the SSID in question.  At any rate,  Yaesu radios I have none of the "CUSTOM 0-6" can not be edited.  I am not even sure what they were named "CUSTOM" when one can not be edited.  I post on Yaesu Facebook asking how to edit those "CUSTOM" field but my question was never approved by Yaesu admin, so it never got posted.

Yaesu MIC-E can not be edited,  I can only "select" which one of the pre-defined I wanted to use.

At the end of the day I was able to removed the PHG I did not want from the aprs.fi, just had to do it using your program.

73, Kit W3KIT


Komkit Listisard
 

Yep, I looked at all of the advanced APRS manuals from all of the Yaesu radios.  I have RTsystem programming software for those radio as well.  CUSTOM 0-6 can not be edited.

Few day ago for the heck of it, I picked "CUSTOM 0" in MIC-E and sent it through.  instead of "In Service" or "En Route" I just saw "CUSTOM 0" shows up on aprs.fi :D  

Per APRS101 manual, it did say something about the receiving station knows what "CUSTOM 0" mean.  TBH, I have no idea what is C0-C6 even mean.

C0-C6 can only be selected - there are no free form that once could edit.  Yeasu admin never approved my question on how to edit,  perhaps Yaseu does not even have a clue how to edit it haha.



73, Kit


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Exactly which Yaesu radio are you talking about.  I'll find the right manual and page reference to show you the free-form text configuration for that radio.  It is not the Mic-E status, as you already know.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/5/2021 11:02 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Yep, I looked at all of the advanced APRS manuals from all of the Yaesu radios.  I have RTsystem programming software for those radio as well.  CUSTOM 0-6 can not be edited.

Few day ago for the heck of it, I picked "CUSTOM 0" in MIC-E and sent it through.  instead of "In Service" or "En Route" I just saw "CUSTOM 0" shows up on aprs.fi :D  

Per APRS101 manual, it did say something about the receiving station knows what "CUSTOM 0" mean.  TBH, I have no idea what is C0-C6 even mean.

C0-C6 can only be selected - there are no free form that once could edit.  Yeasu admin never approved my question on how to edit,  perhaps Yaseu does not even have a clue how to edit it haha.



73, Kit


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

C0-C6 mean just what they say and what you have read "Custom 0" through "Custom 6".  There is no way to edit that meaning in any APRS radio or software that I've encountered.  It's up to the local (or global) operating group to agree on what each of those selections mean, regardless of what they say on the screen.

So Yaesu's answer to how to edit them would have been "you don't".

And the Mic-E status is actually sent in 3 bits, so there's no way to communicate any meaning other than the table from aprs101.pdf, the APRS specification document.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/5/2021 11:06 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

Exactly which Yaesu radio are you talking about.  I'll find the right manual and page reference to show you the free-form text configuration for that radio.  It is not the Mic-E status, as you already know.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/5/2021 11:02 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
Yep, I looked at all of the advanced APRS manuals from all of the Yaesu radios.  I have RTsystem programming software for those radio as well.  CUSTOM 0-6 can not be edited.

Few day ago for the heck of it, I picked "CUSTOM 0" in MIC-E and sent it through.  instead of "In Service" or "En Route" I just saw "CUSTOM 0" shows up on aprs.fi :D  

Per APRS101 manual, it did say something about the receiving station knows what "CUSTOM 0" mean.  TBH, I have no idea what is C0-C6 even mean.

C0-C6 can only be selected - there are no free form that once could edit.  Yeasu admin never approved my question on how to edit,  perhaps Yaseu does not even have a clue how to edit it haha.



73, Kit


Komkit Listisard
 

I have FT2D,  FT3D,  FTM-100DR and two of FTM-400XDR and I have gone through their advanced APRS manual, I have yet to came across "how to" edit them CUSTOM0-6 field.

OFC - if I am blind or retarded or both, I could not find it.

73, Kit 


Komkit Listisard
 

HAHA, that's pretty much it... "Nope, you don't edit them CUSTOMs".   :D


Robert Bruninga
 

Custom 6 just means the "6"th custom message.  it means what the sender and recipient both agree it means.
It can mean "need more water" or whatever.

Bob

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 11:16 AM Komkit Listisard via groups.io <w3kit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have FT2D,  FT3D,  FTM-100DR and two of FTM-400XDR and I have gone through their advanced APRS manual, I have yet to came across "how to" edit them CUSTOM0-6 field.

OFC - if I am blind or retarded or both, I could not find it.

73, Kit 


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

For the purposes of adding the PHG0000 to your free-form text comment, you're not looking for the CUSTOM0-6 fields.  They are, as we have stated numerous times, not editable but intended to be "understood" by local operations personnel.

The free-form text comment is what I found in the attached 3 pages extracted from the FT2DR APRS manual.  This is what your original question was about, and what I've been trying to answer.  Regardless of the fact that you've now managed to clear the obsolete PHG information from aprs.fi and had, at some point, managed to actually incorporate the PHG0000 in an RF position packet which was summarily not parsed by aprs.fi.

I believe this case is now closed.  But only if you accept the fact that there is not, and likely never will be, any way to edit the CUSTOM0-6 definitions of the Mic-E status code which is only allocated 3 bits in the Mic-E position packet format specification.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32


On 2/5/2021 11:15 AM, Komkit Listisard via groups.io wrote:
I have FT2D,  FT3D,  FTM-100DR and two of FTM-400XDR and I have gone through their advanced APRS manual, I have yet to came across "how to" edit them CUSTOM0-6 field.

OFC - if I am blind or retarded or both, I could not find it.

73, Kit