Topics

HF APRS set up

Randy Allen

I've looked in the wiki, and while there was some discussion of APRS HF frequencies, is there anything out there detailing how to set APRSIS32 to work with a Signalink USB to run HF APRS?

No special need in mind other than now that I have the radio and Signalink configurations for HF Winlink, FLDIGI and WSJT-X figured out and operating well, I though why not throw something else into the mix and see if I can break it? ;-)

I'm running the current development version (2020/10/05 11:46) on a Win10 desktop to an MFJ-1270C and an IC-2000 for VHF.

For HF I have an IC-706MKIIG with a Signalink USB that I use for HF/VHF Winlink and FLDIGI and HF FT8.  I have the UZ7HO Sound Modem installed for use on VHF Winlink.

So, given these parts, What next?  What type of port do I configure in APRSIS32?   Settings?

I'm thinking it would be best to open up a second instance of APRSIS32 for HF and run it separate from my instance that is on 24/7 for my home station?  Or can the HF and VHF parameters coexist peacefully in one instance?

(For example, I'm thinking that the current digipeat and beacon settings for VHF would not be optimal on HF, and I would basically be using the HF for monitoring and as an HF IGATE if needed, with little or no beaconing, and obviously no digipeating. )

If I missed something in the wiki, please point me at it and I'll go from there.

73

Randy KA0AZS

j.lineback

Randy,

While not answering your basic question, this might be helpful with respect to whether and when to employ APRS HF http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm

Jerry K4WOF

On Oct 18, 2020, at 1:22 AM, Randy Allen <ka0azs@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry,

Thanks.  I actually do have Stephen's page bookmarked and am familiar with it.  It's why I didn't ask about frequencies or radio set up.

As I said in the OP, I don't really have a need other than to see if I can do it and have it on tap if I ever need it.  For instance, I also have a 706MKIIG in my truck. If I ever go rambling out west again, I might be interested in running HF APRS in some of the quieter areas.  Easier to set it up at home in my shack and work out the bugs there and then transfer the config to my laptop and move the Signalink to the truck.

73
Randy KA0AZS

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you've grokked Stephen's stuff, then all you need is to install Direwolf or UZ7HO's SoundModem or some other soft TNC to do the audio decoding from the SignalLink.  APRSIS32 typically interfaces to one of those via either AGW's protocol or via KISS over TCP/IP.

Once you select a sound-card TNC, you can ask back here for which port type to use in APRSIS32.

On 10/18/2020 10:50 AM, Randy Allen wrote:
Jerry,

Thanks.  I actually do have Stephen's page bookmarked and am familiar with it.  It's why I didn't ask about frequencies or radio set up.

As I said in the OP, I don't really have a need other than to see if I can do it and have it on tap if I ever need it.  For instance, I also have a 706MKIIG in my truck. If I ever go rambling out west again, I might be interested in running HF APRS in some of the quieter areas.  Easier to set it up at home in my shack and work out the bugs there and then transfer the config to my laptop and move the Signalink to the truck.

73
Randy KA0AZS

Randy Allen

Thanks Lynn

I am already using UZ7HO's SoundModem for VHF Winlink.  Once I get a chance to play around with that set up I'll ping this discussion again.

73

Randy KA0AZS

Rob Giuliano

So APRSIS32 is already setup then.
The interface is the same as for the VHF.  As far as APRSIS32 is concerned, it only needs to know that a TNC is attached via AGW (or KISS over IP) port.

On the UZ7HO side, you just need to set the on air baud rate and the port settings.
I for one would suggest having 2 different configurations
  VHF - AGW port 8000 with all the proper settings for the VHF radio
  HF   - AGW port 8010 with all the proper settings for the HF radio

On APRSIS32, just enable the port with the proper port setting for whatever activity you are engaged in.

On Sunday, October 18, 2020, 6:18:10 PM EDT, Randy Allen <ka0azs@...> wrote:

Thanks Lynn

I am already using UZ7HO's SoundModem for VHF Winlink.  Once I get a chance to play around with that set up I'll ping this discussion again.

73

Randy KA0AZS

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I thought the same Robert, until I noticed that he said he's using UZ7HO for VHF Winlink, not APRSIS32.

On 10/18/2020 7:50 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I didn't catch that, but I still think the AGW port is still the best bet.

Haven't worked with the UZ7OH application in awhile.
I just checked and you cannot specify the configuration file on startup.
That can make things more difficult.
Might require multiple copies with different configurations.

As you said, step 1 is getting UZ7OH running with the HF rig.

On Sunday, October 18, 2020, 8:34:48 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, I set up a second instance of APRSIS32 in it's own folder and put a second copy of the UZ7HO SoundModem in the same folder.  Running as KA0AZS-1

I currently have it set to AFSK AX.25 300Bd.  It is apparently receiving OK as I was able to decode a position a while ago (VE2SIL-1)

The system will transmit but I currently have beaconing turned off.  Set to no path, no comment.  I transmitted one position and saw it made APRS.FI via VE2GQF-2

I find Stephen's page a little confusing as  he focuses on APRS Messenger settings.

I THINK I have the frequency  I need in the dial (10.147.60 USB) and that's where I was when I decoded the one station.  But I lose track as he covers other dial settings with different modes.

It looks from his writings  like PSK would be a better mode, but am not sure if that is the same as the BPSK AX25 300bd listed as an option in UZ7HO.

At any rate, based on one successful packet inbound and apparently one outbound, it looks like I either have it working, or am just lucky.

Any clarifications or corrections would be appreciated.

73
Randy KA0AZS

Rob Giuliano

I'd say you got it working, but I'd enable TX for awhile and see what happens.

I did a quick glance and it seemed to have some 'understandable' language.

On Monday, October 19, 2020, 3:26:10 PM EDT, Randy Allen <ka0azs@...> wrote:

[...]

Glenn O'Connor

I've just added another port,HF, with once instance of 'IS32, to go along with the already functioning VHF port. The VHF port controls an old AEA PK-900 and the added port controls the AGW based system. Works as advertised.

Glenn-KF0ED

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The danger with creating multiple RF ports in a single instance is that APRSIS32 doesn't track which port heard a station.  So if a message comes in from the APRS-IS for a station, it is transmitted on ALL transmit and message enabled RF ports.  If you're not transmit enabled or have disabled message transmitting on all but one of the ports, you're fine.  But otherwise, you may be spamming one or more bands gating messages for stations that aren't on that band.

The transmit path specification also applies to all RF ports, so you cannot have different paths for the different bands.

Also, the view filters lump all RF-received stations together, so you cannot generate a view that shows just the stations received on a particular port.

Those are some of the reasons I made it easy to run multiple instances.

On 10/19/2020 4:44 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
I've just added another port,HF, with once instance of 'IS32, to go along with the already functioning VHF port. The VHF port controls an old AEA PK-900 and the added port controls the AGW based system. Works as advertised.

Glenn-KF0ED

Randy Allen

"The transmit path specification also applies to all RF ports, so you cannot have different paths for the different bands."

That's why I went with a separate instance.  My VHF Wide2-2 path is not appropriate on HF.

73

Randy KA0AZS