Having trouble talking to a TNC3 via bluetooth

Elden AI7HL

I've attached a screen capture of my port log. I have paired the TNC3 with Windows 11 bluetooth. APRSISCE allowed me to configure the port. The port status is alternating between "Connect" and "Delay". I suppose the log entries explain that.

I've used this setup in the past. This is a new implementation that I am attempting to configure from scratch. It looks to me like my current problem is between APRSISCE and the bluetooth connection to the TNC3.

Help?

Rob Giuliano

The status toggle between Connect and Delay means APRSIS32 is not able to open the port.
It appears you are using the Bluetooth interface (rather than a COM# port).

You may want to post a little more information on how you are connecting to this device:
    which port type:    like Simply(KISS)
        which choice:   <TCP/IP>   <Bluetooth>   <COM#>

If the TNC3 creates one, you may want to try the COM# port method. 

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 05:51:42 AM EST, Elden AI7HL <ai7hl@...> wrote:

I've attached a screen capture of my port log. I have paired the TNC3 with Windows 11 bluetooth. APRSISCE allowed me to configure the port. The port status is alternating between "Connect" and "Delay". I suppose the log entries explain that.

I've used this setup in the past. This is a new implementation that I am attempting to configure from scratch. It looks to me like my current problem is between APRSISCE and the bluetooth connection to the TNC3.

Help?

Elden AI7HL

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 05:41 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
The status toggle between Connect and Delay means APRSIS32 is not able to open the port.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did come to that conclusion... that perhaps I should use the COM port method. I was attempting to remove and reinstall the TNC3 device in the device manager and things went seriously south with the thing getting stuck half installed. It refused to let me remove the second half of the device. So I wiped my hard drive, reinstalled Windows, and decided to take this PC out of service. I may try this again someday. But not right now.

Rob Giuliano

Wow, somewhat drastic measures for a device driver issue.
I am not sure what half a driver is - maybe comm port vs bluetooth device.
I think I would have tried a few things before wiping out my Windows drive. 
Of course if that was all that was setup on it, not a big issue.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Monday, November 29, 2021, 10:07:26 PM EST, Elden AI7HL <ai7hl@...> wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I did come to that conclusion... that perhaps I should use the COM port method. I was attempting to remove and reinstall the TNC3 device in the device manager and things went seriously south with the thing getting stuck half installed. It refused to let me remove the second half of the device. So I wiped my hard drive, reinstalled Windows, and decided to take this PC out of service. I may try this again someday. But not right now.

Fred Hillhouse

I had a BT device get loaded as two COM ports one time. One was for TX and the other for RX. It was bizarre. I removed the drivers and tried again. Same results. This was on a WIN8 system. I never did figure it out and ended up wiring direct.

Fred N7FMH

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Giuliano via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 10:19 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Having trouble talking to a TNC3 via bluetooth

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Rob Giuliano

I had a similar issue, but one was bidirectional and the other was not.
The problems was
1. Port numbers did not come up consistently (COM3 would be TX and COM4 RX, then the opposite)
2. You never knew which was going to be which.

I think the TX port was bidirectional, but not sure.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 01:21:18 PM EST, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

I had a BT device get loaded as two COM ports one time. One was for TX and the other for RX. It was bizarre. I removed the drivers and tried again. Same results. This was on a WIN8 system. I never did figure it out and ended up wiring direct.

Fred N7FMH

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Giuliano via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2021 10:19 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Having trouble talking to a TNC3 via bluetooth

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Elden AI7HL

Yeah, wiping the thing and reloaded was no big deal. The TNC3 is detected as two different devices. These devices show up in the more modern bluetooth device setup in Windows. They also show up in legacy "Device Manager". And these drivers were clearly goofed up. They were showing in one place and not the other. One screen was letting me delete them, and the other was not. Then the screen let me delete one but not the other. Etc. Typical Windows issues where things aren't cooperating. I figured the wipe and reload would be a guaranteed solution... and of course it was.  :)

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 07:18 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote: