GPX logging

g4ilo

I am expecting delivery of an HTC Touch Pro so hopefully will be trying out APRSISCE real soon.

One question I have: is it possible for two applications to access the GPS at the same time? Reason I ask is that the street mapping of my home town in OpenStreetMap is somewhat lacking, and so I'd like to use my position reports to create a GPX file that I can then use to update the maps. I've been told by people on aprs.fi that the APRS network is not intended to be used for this, so I would need to log the reports locally, and I presume that APRSISCE won't do this by itself?

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

g4ilo wrote:
I am expecting delivery of an HTC Touch Pro so hopefully will be trying out APRSISCE real soon.

One question I have: is it possible for two applications to access the GPS at the same time? Reason I ask is that the street mapping of my home town in OpenStreetMap is somewhat lacking, and so I'd like to use my position reports to create a GPX file that I can then use to update the maps. I've been told by people on aprs.fi that the APRS network is not intended to be used for this, so I would need to log the reports locally, and I presume that APRSISCE won't do this by itself?
You're currently correct that APRSISCE won't do OpenStreetMap.org GPX
files. However, if you look in your My Documents folder, you'll notice
a bunch of .CSV files with yyyymmdd-hhmm.csv looking names. These
contain the timestamp, coordinate, and altitude of each beacon sent by
APRSISCE. When you click Transmit, not only is a beacon sent (assuming
it has been at least the minimum seconds), but a row is added to this
file. I need to a) put this in GPX format, b) give the user a way to
turn on/off/restart this file, and c) give the user a way to put a
coordinate in the GPX file with an entered comment.

Right now, to do b) (restart a new file), either close/re-open the
client (ugly) or toggle Enable/GPS Enabled off and back on. Lucky for
me, Windows Mobile doesn't actually turn off the GPS immediately, so you
probably won't lose your fix if you do the off/on toggle in 15-30
seconds. After 30 seconds, the GPS may do a warm start.

For c)...I did one excursion attempting to collect points for
OpenStreetMap.org. I was on my bicycle and stopped at each corner to
send a message to my home station with the street names and hit Transmit
to have a closely-timed coordinate. However, when I finally got back
home after mapping 3 or 4 neighborhoods in about 3 hours, I got busy
with other things and never grabbed the data. There is still a "hole in
the donut" in southern Palm Bay that OpenStreetMap.org doesn't know
actually has streets!

Add b/KJ4ERJ* to your filter, wait for a beacon from me, center on it
and then drag the map south. You can't miss the hole. Yes, it was
literally known as the "donut hole" at city council long before it was
developed!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

g4ilo

OK. There are conversion utilities that can convert track files between various formats like CSV, GPX etc. I don't know whether they would work with your particular CSV format. If not, it isn't a big problem, as I can probably write a program to convert the files myself. But obviously direct support of GPX would be nice, as would the ability to enter a comment.

Julian, G4ILO

Francisco Guerra <f.guerra@...>

You're currently correct that APRSISCE won't do OpenStreetMap.org GPX
files. However, if you look in your My Documents folder, you'll notice
a bunch of .CSV files with yyyymmdd-hhmm.csv looking names. These
contain the timestamp, coordinate, and altitude of each beacon sent by
APRSISCE. When you click Transmit, not only is a beacon sent (assuming
it has been at least the minimum seconds), but a row is added to this
file. I need to a) put this in GPX format, b) give the user a way to
turn on/off/restart this file, and c) give the user a way to put a
coordinate in the GPX file with an entered comment.

It's a nice feature, and, as Julian (G4ILO) says, "direct support of GPX would be nice".
But, where are .CSV files in /32 version?.
I can convert APRSISCE .CSV files to .KML or GPX with "Poiedit" programm. But There are 2 problemms:
1- the "T" between date and time must be converted to  ",";
2-  "Poiedit" converts longitude data to latitude data and vice-versa. You must change the order before conversion.

Thanks
(CT1AKV)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Francisco Guerra wrote:

It's a nice feature, and, as Julian (G4ILO) says, "direct support of GPX would be nice".
But, where are .CSV files in /32 version?.
APRSIS32 doesn't create the .CSV files as they make no sense until it supports GPS input. If a station can't move, every log would end up with a single entry!
I can convert APRSISCE .CSV files to .KML or GPX with "Poiedit" programm. But There are 2 problemms:
1- the "T" between date and time must be converted to ",";
The T is one of the web standard data formats for a date/time stamp. I actually created this support (and stealthed it due to lack of time) to track our travels in Costa Rica last year where I knew I wouldn't have a live Internet connection. At the end of each day, I uploaded the file(s) to my server back home and it generated OSM map panels showing our journey. You can see these files at the following URL in the dates from 2009-03-32 through 2009-04-06. 2009-04-06 from 18:32:57 through 23:56:00 shows our plane flight from CR to FL.

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/CostaRica/*

(BTW, when you see how slow my outbound server is, you'll know why I distribute the program via Yahoo Groups!)