FTM-400XDR won't transmit message from APRSISCE?

Josh KB6VTU

Hi,

I've setup my FTM-400XDR with APRSISCE and it receives fine. I just can't get it to transmit messages?

Is there anything obvious that I might be missing? I keep trying to configure the radio and I always check the Xmit button, but it always gets unchecked.

Is there a thread on this already? I looked, but couldn't find it.

Is it the password? It asked something about a password, but I don't know that I have any type of password. I've never needed one before?

thx,

josh

KB6VTU

Josh KB6VTU

Maybe it's the APRS passcode, but I don't know what that is or where I get it?

Greg D

The APRS-IS passcode is only used to send messages into the APRS-IS (Internet System).  Your RF "passcode" is your Ham license...

I don't know the FTM400 specifically, but in general Yaesu radios' built-in APRS is generally limited.  Receive is good, but transmit is problematic.  Most have better luck with an external TNC of some sort, or using a "Sound Card" equivalent such as Direwolf or AGW.  What are you using for the TNC function?

Greg  KO6TH

kb6vtu@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Maybe it's the APRS passcode, but I don't know what that is or where I get it?

Josh KB6VTU

so I went out and got a passphrase. I can send messages over the internet to the radio, but I can't send messages through the radio when I turn the internet connection off. If I try to send a message the radio never keys up. It does receive, just won't transmit. I can send messages to radios, but only through the internet, not through my radio.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

thx,
josh
KB6VTU

Greg Depew

The tncs inside yaesu radios are locked down and inaccessible for transmitting with a computer. The only way to transmit with a Yaesu is to use either the sound card method such as you would with FlDigi. Or to use an external tnc.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

I've setup my FTM-400XDR with APRSISCE and it receives fine. I just can't get it to transmit messages?

Is there anything obvious that I might be missing? I keep trying to configure the radio and I always check the Xmit button, but it always gets unchecked.

Is there a thread on this already? I looked, but couldn't find it.

Is it the password? It asked something about a password, but I don't know that I have any type of password. I've never needed one before?

thx,

josh

KB6VTU

vince <vince83687@...>

@josh KB6VTU
PASSCODE not passphrase 73
---
-During World War 1 & 2. Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's CallSign?
73 Vince KD7TWW ":>
Thank you for your reply...

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:44 PM kb6vtu@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

so I went out and got a passphrase. I can send messages over the internet to the radio, but I can't send messages through the radio when I turn the internet connection off. If I try to send a message the radio never keys up. It does receive, just won't transmit. I can send messages to radios, but only through the internet, not through my radio.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

thx,
josh
KB6VTU

vince <vince83687@...>

Greg Depew

Thanks for that. I have been wondering myself concerning your answer. Thanks for the tip!!
---

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 12:41 AM Greg Depew goatherder_4891@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

ok, thank you very much. Is there a better radio that would allow for receive and transmit?
josh
KB6VTU

kb8uih88@...

Yaesu's APRS system is proprietary and isn't hackable that I know of. Its use with programs like APRSISCE and others is problematic at best.

Chris

kb6vtu@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Maybe it's the APRS passcode, but I don't know what that is or where I get it?

James Ewen

The Kenwood APRS line works well.

James
VE6SRV

On Oct 1, 2019, at 6:46 AM, kb6vtu@... [aprsisce] wrote:

 ok, thank you very much. Is there a better radio that would allow for receive and transmit?
josh
KB6VTU

Rob Giuliano

Unfortunately, you were sold a "bill of goods" by Yaesu and poor reviewers like the ARRL.  The Yaesu radios are not capable of TX from an attached computer   they only have a built in tracker and the ability to send decoded packets back to the computer.  It is NOT a true TNC.  Pages 155 - 158 are kind of cinfusing as well, but from 156 it says the serial port can send "YOUR POSITION" to the attached pc.  Note there is nothing about received packets.

Only solution is using an external TNC (or sound card) to the data port with audio I/O and ptt. Pins 1, 2, 3, [4 or 5] and optionally 6.  See page 158 of the manual.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 0:58, kb6vtu@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Hi,

I've setup my FTM-400XDR with APRSISCE and it receives fine. I just can't get it to transmit messages?

Is there anything obvious that I might be missing? I keep trying to configure the radio and I always check the Xmit button, but it always gets unchecked.

Is there a thread on this already? I looked, but couldn't find it.

Is it the password? It asked something about a password, but I don't know that I have any type of password. I've never needed one before?

thx,

josh

KB6VTU

Justin Cherington

I’m using a TNC3 and aprsis32. Benefits being I can walk around camp and still view and transmit aprs data. The Kenwoods often have true TNC’s, but also lack touch screens and modern looks. It’s frustrating the 400 doesn’t allow full access on its own, but Yaesu and users certainly don’t make it a secret. And the aftermarket solutions are better in many ways than an internal TNC.

Glenn O'Connor <kf0ed@...>

Walkaround solution: AprsDroid, if an Android phone, a Mobilinkd TNC and any H/T with the proper patch coax.

I’m using a TNC3 and aprsis32. Benefits being I can walk around camp and still view and transmit aprs data. The Kenwoods often have true TNC’s, but also lack touch screens and modern looks. It’s frustrating the 400 doesn’t allow full access on its own, but Yaesu and users certainly don’t make it a secret. And the aftermarket solutions are better in many ways than an internal TNC.

Greg Depew

Your 400 will allow for recieve and transmit. You just can't use the internal TNC. If you've already setup for FlDigi or other sound card modes you're setup for sound card APRS. I personally use an ftm350 and a signal link along with UZ7HO'S soundmodem. Every once in a while I will have to disconnect and reconnect the signallink but I think that is a Windows issue.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: "kb6vtu@... [aprsisce]"
Date: 10/1/19 08:55 (GMT-05:00)
To: aprsisce@...

ok, thank you very much. Is there a better radio that would allow for receive and transmit?

josh
KB6VTU

Greg Depew

Thanks Rob, but I've got the USB power settings set to never sleep. It's just a quirk of Windows. I've had the same problem on laptops with the same setup. It just goes wonky, such is life lol.