Topics

FT8 Contest

Lynn Deffenbaugh

To all,

Just in case any of you are wondering why the recent poll was posted about HF locator modes, I've been tinkering with JS8Call for use between myself, my son, and my son-in-law all here in Florida in the event of a major hurricane.  We've all put up 40/80 NVIS antennas and have seen the mode work, but thankfully we didn't need to use it this season.

If any of you haven't heard of JS8Call, it's a low signal, keyboard-to-keyboard chat mode that is based on, but incompatible with, the FT8 low signal mode that is in turn a successor to the JT65 mode that, I believe, was originally written for Earth-Moon-Earth bounce communications, hence the need for low signal capability.

Well, you may have noticed (or not) a Configure / Objects / New JT65 menu option that has been in APRSIS32 for a few years now.  That option would require you to point to your JT65 log file which would be periodically scraped for gridsquare references which will be placed on your local APRS map.  Since both FT8 and JS8Call continue to include gridsquare references in some of their transmissions, I've implemented (but not yet released) parallel object types for those modes.

And since there's an FT8 contest running right now, here's what I've copied on 40m over the past 2 hours.  That's 274 stations across the world, but most of them are in the US.

But then again, a path must have opened up between Florida and Japan recently as well:

John KC4LZN

Lynn,

If you have the latest version of JS8CALL, try the turbo mode. It's dependent on the signal strength but if the stations are strong enough, the fastest speed is literally live keyboard to keyboard, comparable to PSK31 and other similar modes. 40m is the most popular place but activity on 20 is present as well. Haven't heard much on 80.

GL es gud DX
73
John
KC4LZN
EL98ds

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019, 08:58 Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, John, I have the latest version of JS8Call.  I do really like the turbo mode, but for our purposes the standard mode with lower signal capability is best.  My son and son-in-law both have smaller lots and HOAs to contend with, so they're both running compromised antennas.  I'm the only one with space for a full 40/80 NVIS dipole away from structures.

But yes, the turbo mode sure makes the keyboard QSOs fly!