Topics

Fix RF/TCP message gating (Dev: 2020/10/27 14:46)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I recently discovered that I missed implementing one of the rules for gating messages from the APRS-IS to RF.  http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx states:

Gate message packets and associated posits to RF if all of the following are true:

  1. the receiving station has been heard within range within a predefined time period (range defined as digi hops, distance, or both).
  2. the sending station has not been heard via RF within a predefined time period (packets gated from the Internet by other stations are excluded from this test).
  3. the sending station does not have TCPXX, NOGATE, or RFONLY in the header.
  4. the receiving station has not been heard via the Internet within a predefined time period.
    A station is said to be heard via the Internet if packets from the station contain TCPIP* or TCPXX* in the header or if gated (3rd-party) packets are seen on RF gated by the station and containing TCPIP or TCPXX in the 3rd-party header (in other words, the station is seen on RF as being an IGate).
I was missing the 4th condition from that list.  This development release fixes that issue.

Also, whatever software is using ToCall of >APEG03, likely UISS or the SGATE add-on, doesn't properly ack inbound messages that use a Reply-Ack format (which APRSIS32 does).  This causes lots of retries from the SATSRV, so I have (hopefully temporarily) disabled SATSRV responses if the message comes from >APEG*.

Bill Erhardt

Hi Lynn and to the gang,

I fixed the Loop in UISS SGATE addon and unchecked the AutoREPLY.  That was my fault on K7MT-6 my SGATE for Satellite APRS digi here in Montana.  I checked APRS dot FI and no loop since yesterday….

Bill K7MT

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Lynn Deffenbaugh

But unless you actually modified the code, it still probably doesn't handle acking properly.

The auto-reply was causing the looping, but the improper ack was/is causing excessive retries when a SATSRV request is received.