Error: Forced Beacon Will Be Sent Whenever GPS Fix is Acquired

Michael McKenzie

I have a GPS receiver connected, Wi-Fi shows off on a Windows 10 tablet, and am getting this error. I am now using a Moto G Power (2021) cell phone and have the Debugging turn on with USB Tether selected, using FoxFi app for cell phone to get to the APRS.fi web site.
What might be causing this error? It all worked before using an LG V20 cell phone.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You have GPS Enabled, but there is no current GPS Fix. And you tried to force transmit a beacon which requires a fix.  APRSIS32 will transmit the requested Forced Beacon once the fix is acquired.

However, the issue is likely that APRSIS32 isn't seeing the GPS properly and that's why you don't have a fix.

On 8/20/2021 4:50 PM, Michael McKenzie wrote:
I have a GPS receiver connected, Wi-Fi shows off on a Windows 10 tablet, and am getting this error. I am now using a Moto G Power (2021) cell phone and have the Debugging turn on with USB Tether selected, using FoxFi app for cell phone to get to the APRS.fi web site.
What might be causing this error? It all worked before using an LG V20 cell phone.

Michael McKenzie

I am getting call signs on the left column constantly advancing and the indicator for the GPS channel says OK. What do I need to do to get a GPS fix? Am I not receiving enough satellites? The bottom two lines of the APRSIS32 display are blank. I have a feeling that should show the satellites received.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What sort of GPS do  you have?  If it is serial NMEA, have you confirmed that you are receiving data from it with a terminal emulator?

You mentioned a Window 10 tablet, a Moto G Power cell phone, USB Tether (which implies a PC), and I have no idea what FoxFi is nor how aprs.fi fits into the picture.

On 8/20/2021 5:50 PM, Michael McKenzie wrote:
I am getting call signs on the left column constantly advancing and the indicator for the GPS channel says OK. What do I need to do to get a GPS fix? Am I not receiving enough satellites? The bottom two lines of the APRSIS32 display are blank. I have a feeling that should show the satellites received.

Michael McKenzie

Found the problem; Com port error in setting up the Win 10 tablet. All works as advertised now.

By the way, FoxFi is an Android App I use to get information back and forth between the Tablet and the Verizon Network. Works similar to having a Verizon hot spot installed in the car. Big difference between the $8 app and ax. $80/mo for the Verizon hot spot  when I only need to use it 3-4 days of the year.

Thank you for the help.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Glad to know it's all sorted out.  Congrats!

On 8/20/2021 7:53 PM, Michael McKenzie wrote:
Found the problem; Com port error in setting up the Win 10 tablet. All works as advertised now.

By the way, FoxFi is an Android App I use to get information back and forth between the Tablet and the Verizon Network. Works similar to having a Verizon hot spot installed in the car. Big difference between the $8 app and ax. $80/mo for the Verizon hot spot  when I only need to use it 3-4 days of the year.

Thank you for the help.

Fred Hillhouse

I create an hot spot on my phone that works well. The only thing it won’t do is assign a specific IP address for a MAC address.

I will have to look at FoxFi now.

Fred N7FMH

Found the problem; Com port error in setting up the Win 10 tablet. All works as advertised now.

By the way, FoxFi is an Android App I use to get information back and forth between the Tablet and the Verizon Network. Works similar to having a Verizon hot spot installed in the car. Big difference between the $8 app and ax. $80/mo for the Verizon hot spot  when I only need to use it 3-4 days of the year.

Thank you for the help.

Avast logo