Disabling GPS

g4ilo

Lynn, a question.

Following your advice on my blog yesterday I have disabled the GPS after fixing my position while my HTC is sitting in its desktop docking station and not moving, to prevent the problem of my position scooting off at high speed due to variable indoor reception. When I check aprs.fi, it appears that I am no longer sending beacons to the network so it looks as if I am not active.

Julian, G4ILO

tim.kirby@btinternet.com <tim.kirby@...>

Julian,

I found that too, on my laptop! So I switched GPS back on and I'm beaconing again. I haven't got a GPS on my laptop, of course :-)

Tim G4VXE

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

Lynn, a question.

Following your advice on my blog yesterday I have disabled the GPS after fixing my position while my HTC is sitting in its desktop docking station and not moving, to prevent the problem of my position scooting off at high speed due to variable indoor reception. When I check aprs.fi, it appears that I am no longer sending beacons to the network so it looks as if I am not active.

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Julian,

g4ilo wrote:
Following your advice on my blog yesterday I have disabled the GPS after fixing my position while my HTC is sitting in its desktop docking station and not moving, to prevent the problem of my position scooting off at high speed due to variable indoor reception. When I check aprs.fi, it appears that I am no longer sending beacons to the network so it looks as if I am not active.
Hum, that is a potential problem, isn't it? As I mentioned in the Blog, I toggle the GPS off when I go indoors to prevent the drifting caused by decreased satellite coverage, and mainly the "locked on one satellite and won't let go" 10s and 100s of mile drifts seen in my AT&T Tilt's GPS (same as an HTC TyTN II).

But you are correct, when the GPS is disabled, position beaconing is also suspended in the APRSISCE/32.....I was actually planning to add Status beacons (> datatype) to the client, I wonder if aprs.is would consider that "active" with respect to the timestamp. Maybe I'll just rethink the interaction between Enables/GPS and Enables/Tracking. It would seem that maybe Enables/Tracking should continue to send your most recent coordinate even if you disable the GPS, at least for as long as the client is still running.....

Consider it added to the ToDo list! Thanks for the observation and suggestion!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS. G4ILS's Blog that we're referring to can be found at http://www.g4ilo.com/2010/01/350mph-jogger.html

g4ilo

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "tim.kirby@..." <tim.kirby@...> wrote:

I found that too, on my laptop! So I switched GPS back on and I'm beaconing again. I haven't got a GPS on my laptop, of course :-)
I wonder if disabling GPS and disabling beaconing ought to be separate functions? If I carry the phone in my pocket around the house disabling GPS is useful, not just because it can't get an accurate position, but to save the battery. But I still want to have APRSISCE running because I want to receive APRS messages. If you've seen my blog recently you'll see that I am implementing the ability to receive alerts of WOTA summit activations by APRS message.

Julian, G4ILO

warpedspeed

Lynn, this topic just answered the question that I was going to ask about, no position Tx without GPS data.

I installed APRSISCE on my old T-Mobile MDA (HTC Wizard 200) last week, and it is cool stuff. However, this phone does not have a GPS. I have been manually putting my posit in the XML file, but noticed that my "little phone" was not making it to the 'net via the IS servers. I can still Tx and Rx messages, so there is happiness there, but I am effectively in stealth mode. This is a great solution for days like today, when I am in the office, and my position will not change. When I leave the office later this afternoon, I will turn off APRSISCE, and a few minutes later my mobile symbol will appear on the map.

Installation of APRS software, and using the WAN at work to connect to APRS-IS would be violations of agency policy where I work. I know this, since I am one of the guys that enforces these policies. So being on APRS at work with a PC is not an option.

This is a great product that allows me to keep a pulse on APRS, while still doing my job.

I agree that it would be a great feature to be able to beacon without GPS. Of course you would have to add a time interval setting.

Thanks for your efforts on this Lynn.

Dean KD4TWJ