Development mode

shoan butler

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Rob Giuliano

Truth is that the development mode is what almost everyone runs.
The release version is very old, but the development version has features that can be kind of tricky to use.
By that I mean you can configure it to pass too much traffic and cause problems.  For that reason it remains "development".  That way it at least makes people more cautious about using the more advanced features, not found in the full release.

So, if you want to experiment with some of the advanced features (mainly passing IS to RF for sure), post your ideas and get feedback as you try them.  That will get you the info on the gotchas that could be lurking.

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 10:21:30 PM EDT, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ryszard Labus

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa

shoan butler

Ok, i understand that part but what do i do? What's the process? I'm do not know computer code or what I'm looking for???? What is the latest version? How do i change it? What do i change to get what I'm looking for? Doesn't this system just have on and off buttons or do i need a degree in computer science to unlock it's features???? The wiki doesn't accommodate the average person that is not code savvy. Very frustrating! Waiting for a reply. Thanks.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 12:02 AM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

[...]

James Ewen

The high tech key to unlock the development version is changing a zero to a one in a file.

If that process is too difficult to complete, then the features in the development version may be too advanced to be accessed by the user.

Think of it as a test of “worthiness”, kind of like the sword in the stone, or Thor’s hammer.

(By the way this is written in humour, not as a slight on anyone)

Seriously though, it’s not rocket science to read the instructions on accessing development mode. If you are after functions available in development mode, you really need to understand what you are going to be doing, especially with the IS to RF gating. You can destroy the RF channel for hundreds of miles for everyone by setting it up improperly.

Invest the time required to understand what you are wanting to play with, and read the wiki on how to unlock development mode.

Development mode is not for appliance operators. (Do I sound like an old crotchety ham radio operator? They were really old when I got into ham radio 30 years ago. I hope I’m not there yet!)

James
VE6SRV

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 10:21:30 PM EDT, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

shoan butler

My xml wont allow me to make changes, there is no box to change anything as described its just a bunch of fixed code. The wiki said something about changing 0's to 1's but thete is no option to change anything on here????

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 4:43 AM, Ryszard Labus r.labus@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

James Ewen

Then you’ve got a different version of the program than everyone else.

If you can write an email, you can get to development mode in the version everyone else has.

James
VE6SRV

<aprsisce@...> wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

KP3FT

Open the APRSIS32.XML file in WordPad or MS Word, scroll down close to the bottom, and look for the line:

0

Change the 0 to 1, save the file, restart the APRSis32 program, then click "About" in its menu.

wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You can't just double-click the APRSIS32.XML to edit it.  You must open it in a TEXT editor like Notepad (but NOT WordPad).  Once you have it open in an editor, search for Development and change that 0 to a 1 then save the file.  Make sure you do this with APRSIS32 CLOSED!

Once you have made the change and saved/closed the APRSIS32.XML file, you can start APRSIS32 and it should be in development mode.  You can check for and download new version using the About menu option.

wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Please do NOT use WordPad or MS Word.  They are not pure text editors and may add things to the file that are not good.

NotePad is a pure text editor and is much more appropriate to this change.

Glenn O'Connor <kf0ed@...>

Please do NOT use WordPad or MS Word.  They are not pure text editors and may add things to the file that are not good.

NotePad is a pure text editor and is much more appropriate to this change.

On 9/5/2019 9:41 AM, Jeff KP3FT kp3ft@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Open the APRSIS32.XML file in WordPad or MS Word, scroll down close to the bottom, and look for the line:

<Update.Development>0

[...]

I have the 2012 version. Here’s the thing. Everyone is saying oh! Just go here, just do this but no one is saying how. “write an email” to what or who? Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the responses but they are not helping because I have been to those areas and either there is no way to configure anything or I just don’t understand.

<aprsisce@...> wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, so e-mail your APRSIS32.xml file to me at KJ4ERJ@....  I'll edit the single character necessary and e-mail it back to you.  Then, with APRSIS32 closed, you can copy the updated file over the original and start APRSIS32.  About will then provide the option to download the latest development version.

But as has been stated here, the Development version enables several features that can cause issues in your local RF environment if not sufficiently understood.  Even the local Satellite tracking can be complex which is why it requires development mode.  If you can't handle editing a single character in a single text file, I'm sure some of the development features will be overwhelming.

As for where the instructions are, they are on the Wiki at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

and

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:editing-xml-configuration

<aprsisce@...> wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

Michael Wright

Lynn,

Thanks for your on-going support for APRSISCE.

Mike K6MFW

KP3FT

OK, good to know.  I've used both here without issue, but then again, maybe it did change some things in the file that affects APRSis32 in a bad way.  I'll use NotePad from now on.

wrote:

Check this out:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

R.

W dniu 2019-09-05 o 04:19, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] pisze:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
SINUX Ryszard Labus
ul. Domaniewska 47/10 02-672 Warszawa
NIP: 548-138-01-53    tel: 666385002
          r.labus@...
http://sinux.pl   http://sinux.com.pl

shoan butler

Does anyone have a minute to run me through this development mode setup???? Would really appreciate it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10