D710G

JR Riner

I have read & followed the wiki & menu 604 is on, but I don't seem to be receiving any traffic to the map with the internet disconnected which is how I want it to work.  I just want to see the stations I hear via RF. The radio has gps lock and is beaconing and it shows my proper location on aprs.fi however aprsisce shows my location at home home qth where it last pinged I'm guessing.  I did not set a fixed location in the 710 it just using iGPS.  Any tips would sure be appreciated.
73, KE4PMP-9

Adam Mahnke

Can you paste your RF port settings out of the xml file for review?

Sounds like your radio isn't talking to the software, could be a few different things.

Adam
KC2ANT

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:08 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
I have read & followed the wiki & menu 604 is on, but I don't seem to be receiving any traffic to the map with the internet disconnected which is how I want it to work.  I just want to see the stations I hear via RF. The radio has gps lock and is beaconing and it shows my proper location on aprs.fi however aprsisce shows my location at home home qth where it last pinged I'm guessing.  I did not set a fixed location in the 710 it just using iGPS.  Any tips would sure be appreciated.
73, KE4PMP-9

JR Riner

I can do a screenshot. I guess I'm a DA not understanding the export deal.
73, ke4pmp

Adam Mahnke

That works. If you can give screen shots of your settings related to the D710 port that you have configured, it's a place to start

Adam
KC2ANT

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:19 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
I can do a screenshot. I guess I'm a DA not understanding the export deal.
73, ke4pmp

JR Riner

Well I see one issue.  The info I put in when creating a new port is no longer there. It is greyed out.  That is twice now I have had to re-create the port.
73, ke4pmp

Adam Mahnke

Are you following this one?

or one of the other pages?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
Well I see one issue.  The info I put in when creating a new port is no longer there. It is greyed out.  That is twice now I have had to re-create the port.
73, ke4pmp

JR Riner

Yes that is the page I am on.
ke4pmp

Adam Mahnke

Ok, I'd give the instructions a go again.

one question, Do you have the radio hooked to a USB port, or a standard serial? A lot of times what happens is the COM port changes with the USB-Serial adapter when it is unplugged and plugged back in which will break the connection between the radio and the computer until the COM ports match.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
Yes that is the page I am on.
ke4pmp

JR Riner

I found the log.  It is definitely a port error. I get error opening port 12, but device manager says it is working properly.
ke4pmp

Adam Mahnke

Is APRSISCE set up to look at 12?
Is the COM Port that you're plugged into actually 12?

Do your com speeds match between the radio and the PC?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:44 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
I found the log.  It is definitely a port error. I get error opening port 12, but device manager says it is working properly.
ke4pmp

JR Riner

Okay, I see you said serial adapter.  I am using the RT systems usb cable.  I was told this should work.  If not then that would be the problem.  What do I need? I have a serial adapter but need some other type cable to go to radio I assume?
Thanks,
ke4pmp

Adam Mahnke

Does the RT Systems cable have port retention? It should be a USB-Serial adaptor. I have the kenwood cable, and then I use a USB-Serial adapter cable from startech. It's another connection, but it works fine for me.

silly question. Is your RT Systems cable plugged into the radio body, or the radio head? For programming memories and what not I plug into the radio body, for interfacing with APRSISCE you have to plug into the remote head unit. I'd have to pull the manual again to be sure about the memories, but I know for sure (used it this past Sunday) that the cable goes from the radio head to the PC/Laptop/whatever.

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 12:46 PM JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:
Okay, I see you said serial adapter.  I am using the RT systems usb cable.  I was told this should work.  If not then that would be the problem.  What do I need? I have a serial adapter but need some other type cable to go to radio I assume?
Thanks,
ke4pmp

Rob Giuliano

It sounds like the application is unable to write to the APRSIS32.xml file.
Most likely you either:
a) Didn't extract the APRSIS32.exe file from the Zip file
b) Extracted it into a restricted folder.
    Windows 7 and above restrict access to Program Files and Program Files (x86).
    Also, newer versions of Windows 10 restrict every folder outside the users home folder.

Solution:
Create a folder off the root filesystem (C:\).  I like to use C:\MyApps or C:\WinApps.
   Right-click the folder you created and choose Properties.
   Click the Security tab
   Click the Edit button, and give each entry Full control.
      Administrator should alreasy have it, but Authenticated User and Users probably will not.
Now create a desired folder structure for your apps
   EXAMPLE:  C:\MyApps\Radio\APRSIS32
       This gives a group for all your radio apps, which APRSIS32 is one of.
       I typically have C:\MyApps\Electronics with Ardiono IDE and some other apps, etc.

Extract the zip file or APRSIS32.exe out of it, into  the new APRSIS32 folder.
Create a desktop shortcut with the path set to this new structure and run it that way.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 12:30:58 PM EDT, JR Riner <ke4pmp@...> wrote:

Well I see one issue.  The info I put in when creating a new port is no longer there. It is greyed out.  That is twice now I have had to re-create the port.
73, ke4pmp

Rob Giuliano

Okay - I see the issue seems to be a port issue.
Sorry for the confusion.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 01:05:47 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob, it very well could be either, or both.

On Tuesday, October 12, 2021, 01:05:47 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Randy Love

The RT Systems cable is an FTDI based cable, so it shouldn't jump around on port numbers when plugged into the same PC.

Randy
WF5X