Constant DATA streaming?
1) is the APRSIS-CE application constantly maintaining a DATA STREAM connectivity to the internet, via my data plan on my phone? In other words, while I am beaconing, do I have a connection via my data plan, that never disconnects?
2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?
3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?
Lynn -Yes, for APRS-IS to function correctly by displaying all activity, a
constant TCP connection to the APRS-IS server is necessary. This is
true even if you are NOT beaconing. The incoming connection is
controlled by Enables/APRS-IS Enabled. The transmission of your current
location is a combination of GPS Enabled and Tracking Enabled.
Telemetry can also be independently enabled in the current version.
2) Or does APRSIS-CE make a connection,; send a beacon; and then disconnect?This would be the equivalent of a transmit-only tracker and is not
supported by APRSISCE. The whole purpose of the client is to provide
visibility to what's around you as well as providing visibility of you
to others. That's why I recommend an unlimited data plan.
3) I assume that I need to have a constant functioning of my GPS circuit in my cellphone, in order for APRSIS-CE to work. Is that correct?Sort of. In order to transmit your position, yes, you have to keep the
GPS enabled. However, to conserve battery life (the GPS eats more than
the data connection), I routinely disable my GPS (double-click on the
gps fix status box) when going indoors. This allows the client to keep
the current picture up-to-date with respect to others, but saves power
by not running the GPS when you're not significantly moving.
Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile