Topics

Connect with Kenwood D700A

Joseph LaFerla

I am trying to connect my Kenwood D700A with aprsisce and can successfully receive packets from aprs.  However I cannot transmit.  At least nothing happens when I hit the transmit button on the toolbar.  I have set up the port correctly and transmit is enabled in the settings.  The port is a simply kiss port.  I used to use aprsisce with my other radio (non kenwood) before and it worked fine so I suspect some setting in the kenwood.  The D700a is set to tnc pkt but I tried it with tnc aprs and it still did not work.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks.

Joe VA3JLF

Min

Hi Joe

I have the same setup and the interface can be a pain.

Make sure you have the correct driver if your using a USB to 9 pin D connector (some use a Prolific Chip and you may need to find a driver from 2007)

Try here  https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

You may have to unplug the USB and re plug it to get the Kenwood to suddenly fire up… plug USB port in wait a few seconds and see if the CON sign comes on the radio, then you can try the TX.

This has to be done each time PC is shut down or USB unplugged.

Radio has to be in TNC Pack mode.

Good luck

Min G0JMS

I am trying to connect my Kenwood D700A with aprsisce and can successfully receive packets from aprs.  However I cannot transmit.  At least nothing happens when I hit the transmit button on the toolbar.  I have set up the port correctly and transmit is enabled in the settings.  The port is a simply kiss port.  I used to use aprsisce with my other radio (non kenwood) before and it worked fine so I suspect some setting in the kenwood.  The D700a is set to tnc pkt but I tried it with tnc aprs and it still did not work.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks.

Joe VA3JLF

ve6tdx

Try setting it to aprs12

On Tue., Sep. 29, 2020, 07:20 Joseph LaFerla, <joe@...> wrote:
I am trying to connect my Kenwood D700A with aprsisce and can successfully receive packets from aprs.  However I cannot transmit.  At least nothing happens when I hit the transmit button on the toolbar.  I have set up the port correctly and transmit is enabled in the settings.  The port is a simply kiss port.  I used to use aprsisce with my other radio (non kenwood) before and it worked fine so I suspect some setting in the kenwood.  The D700a is set to tnc pkt but I tried it with tnc aprs and it still did not work.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks.

Joe VA3JLF

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Simply(KISS) type is only for TNCs that can be locked into KISS mode.  The Kenwood APRS radios (outside of the D74) cannot be locked into KISS.

For the D700, use a KISS type port (not Simply) and make sure the radio is in Pkt mode when you start APRSIS32 or enable the port.  APRSIS32's KISS type port will switch Kenwood APRS radios into KISS from Packet mode automatically.

Be aware, though, that if you power-cycle the radio, it will drop out of KISS mode and APRSIS32 will no longer receive packets.  Disabling and enabling the port in APRSIS32 (or stopping and restarting the client) will put the radio's TNC back into KISS mode, provided it was in Pakcet mode to start.  A non-zero Quiet Time setting can automate this reset.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-d700

On 9/29/2020 9:19 AM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:
I am trying to connect my Kenwood D700A with aprsisce and can successfully receive packets from aprs.  However I cannot transmit.  At least nothing happens when I hit the transmit button on the toolbar.  I have set up the port correctly and transmit is enabled in the settings.  The port is a simply kiss port.  I used to use aprsisce with my other radio (non kenwood) before and it worked fine so I suspect some setting in the kenwood.  The D700a is set to tnc pkt but I tried it with tnc aprs and it still did not work.

Any thoughts would be welcome.  Thanks.

Joe VA3JLF

Lynn Deffenbaugh

APRSIS32 only supports the D710 in APRS mode, not the D700.