Configure APRSIS32 for Kenwood TM-D710GA as Mobile

Kent Petty

Hi all,

New to the forum and have been browsing around looking for info on configuring APRSIS32 for use with the Kenwood TM-D710GA in a MOBILE application with the GPS of the 710 also feeding APRSSI32.  There is a lot of discussion on this rig but I can't seem to find a good thread to give a step-by-step on configuring this beast.

We have it working in Fixed application, but we need to get this working in our mobiles.  We have a bunch of folks up here in the Anchorage area with these rigs, and really want to help everyone get setup in a standard wat so we can really tap into the D710 and this application.

Is there an existing thread that mere mortals can understand to get things setup to do this?  If not, are there any experts willing to mentor a setup that can be described and replicated, and/or can a config file be provided that is already set and we would just need to make minor modifications to?

Thanks very much in advance, and I apologize if this is an old rehash.

73,

Kent, KL5T

Eagle River, Alaska

DEC, ARES, Municipality of Anchorage

Vice President, Anchorage Amateur Radio Club

Rob Giuliano

Have you checked the WIKI as well?
 is the specific section on the D710, but there is a lot more there.

Any issues, questions, or suggestions can be posted here for more detail.

[...]

J.Lineback <jelineback@...>

Also suggest a thorough browse through the “Master” Bob Bruninga WB4APR website aprs.org for rich tips on APRS.  He also has specific 710 settings there.

Jerry K4WOF

jelineback@...

Also suggest a thorough browse through the "Master" Bob Bruninga WB4APR website APRS.org for rich tips on the many uses of APRS.

There is also a specific section on the site for the 710 radio.  Good choice, and good luck!

Jerry K4WOF

Kent Petty

Thanks for the tip and link Robert.  There is a lot there and much to weed through, but I think what I need might be there.

I'll print this out and try to dissect it.

Regards,

Kent, KL5T

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:50 AM Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate the tips.  I'll start digging there as well

73,

Kent, KL5T

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:30 AM jelineback@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Also suggest a thorough browse through the "Master" Bob Bruninga WB4APR website APRS.org for rich tips on the many uses of APRS.

There is also a specific section on the site for the 710 radio.  Good choice, and good luck!

Jerry K4WOF

Adam Mahnke

Kent,

If you run into trouble let me know and I can dig up my last configuration file for when I had exactly what you're discussing set up and working great.

The biggest trick is to have the ssid's the same on the radio, and APRSIS32, but only one of them is beaconing location packets.

Sorry about not offering earlier, just now catching up on this thread

Adam
KC2ANT

[...]

Gordon Davids

I just sent a long message off-line to Kent.  If it helps him, and if we get it right, we'll probably have something to report.

73 all,
Gordon / WJ3K

Charles Jessee

I’m just looking to switch from a Yaesu FTM-400 to a Kenwood TM-D7100GA and looking at the Wiki: “ How can you configure APRSISCE/32 to run in APRS mode without usurping control from the Kenwood TM-D710 radio? Well, you really can't if you expect APRSISCE/32 to ever transmit because on the first transmission, MYCALL will be set which changes the D710's identity until it's next TNC reset. However, if you avoid messaging from APRSISCE/32 (or even receiving a message to which an ack must be sent), the following might work for you.“

This seems to suggest that if one gives up major functionality APRSIS32 can work with a TM-710GA. What’s the upside for accepting this downside? If sure I’m missing something...

Bret/N4SRN