From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Burt N Sammis via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2021 10:30 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] Computer problems

I am running a desktop on Windows 10 and trying to use APRSISCE.

After downloading when trying to open the file a instead of PRISISCE I get

a horizontal line about 2 inches wide all the way across the screen.

I have tried everything I know to get rid of the line and bring APRISCE up.

To get rid of the line I have to resort to Task Manager.

I have a laptop running APRSISCE with no problem.

There is no sense in running two computers.

Help?

Burt

AF5AA

Rob Giuliano

The most common causes for APRSIS32 to get caught at this point in the startup are:
1. Running the EXE file from within the zip file.
    You must extract the APRSIS32.exe file to a folder with full user access.
2. You extracted the file into a folder that is protected.
    Windows10 has become more and more restrictive of folders.
    With newer Windows 10 releasesm creating a folder in the root (C:\) is now protected (read only).
    You will need to select the folder and ensure the proper permissions are set for it.

The reason for that is APRSIS32 was based of the old WIndows 32-bit philosophy.
It places all support files (ini, maps, etc.) in the same folder as the executable file.

This is contrary to the Windows10 philosophy:
    All applications (exe) should be placed in Program Files or Program Files (x86).
    Any user data should be placed in the user's home folder with the preferred place
       being a folder with the app's name inside the hidden folder AppData
    This ensures that each users settings are preserved for them.