Can't download tiles from Map Warper

teske.jacob@...

When I try to make a new map tile config with a map that I made in Map Warper, the images that are downloaded are grey only. With some packet sniffing, I found that the requests coming back from Map Warper have a 400 Bad Request status. Does anyone know how to fix this, or of another tool like Map Warper that works better with this software?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you can provide a lot more details, I'm sure we'll be able to help.  Like what is "Map Warper", and how do you have the tile set configured.

You may also learn something if you bring up the OSM trace log and enable it.

On 4/13/2022 3:42 AM, teske.jacob@... wrote:
When I try to make a new map tile config with a map that I made in Map Warper, the images that are downloaded are grey only. With some packet sniffing, I found that the requests coming back from Map Warper have a 400 Bad Request status. Does anyone know how to fix this, or of another tool like Map Warper that works better with this software?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It worked for me.  But remember, APRSIS32 will only display a single TileSet at a time.  it will not do transparent overlays, nor put one incomplete tile set above another tile set.  That said, I picked an arbitrary map from Map Warper, panned and zoomed APRSIS32 to where the map should be located, configured it as a tile set in APRSIS32, and it worked.

I did "1896 Schillner Erie Canal Rome - East side of Rome Enlarged canal" which is in Rome NY from:

https://mapwarper.net/maps/61967#Show_tab

And here's my TileSet configuration:

Make sure you check the https:// checkbox in the upper right corner.  The port should remain zero.  And convert the URL that Map Warper shows to replace the {z}/{x}/{y} to %z/%x/%y and it should "just work".  But you definitely need to be panned and zoomed to where the map should appear or you'll be very unlikely to find it in the sea of gray of undefined tiles.

And I have no idea what the Map Warper server might do if a bunch of us start browsing areas that a map doesn't cover.  I suspect the source IP address and/or the Agent will be quickly blocked from all access.

On 4/13/2022 5:38 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

If you can provide a lot more details, I'm sure we'll be able to help.  Like what is "Map Warper", and how do you have the tile set configured.

You may also learn something if you bring up the OSM trace log and enable it.

On 4/13/2022 3:42 AM, teske.jacob@... wrote:
When I try to make a new map tile config with a map that I made in Map Warper, the images that are downloaded are grey only. With some packet sniffing, I found that the requests coming back from Map Warper have a 400 Bad Request status. Does anyone know how to fix this, or of another tool like Map Warper that works better with this software?

teske.jacob@...

Thank you for the help! I don't seem to have the https check box though. I'm running ver 2020/05/01

Rob Giuliano

The only thing I can think of as to why there is no https:// check box.
It should be in the upper left of the Tile Set configuration box
   from Menu >Configure >Map >Tile Sets >New Tile Set.
I thought that had been there for quite some time.

Best guess is that you are using the last "full release".
Almost everyone runs the development version.

On Wednesday, April 13, 2022, 08:06:52 PM EDT, <teske.jacob@...> wrote:

Thank you for the help! I don't seem to have the https check box though. I'm running ver 2020/05/01

teske.jacob@...

That did it! Thank you both very much!

I have been using PinPoint for a while, but I just switched over. Really, really liking it so far. Kudos and thank you, Lynn!

Jacob K0TES

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Glad you like it!   Spread the word.  I've been wondering how APRSIS32 compares to PinPoint.  Apparently, quite favorably!

On 4/13/2022 8:55 PM, teske.jacob@... wrote:
That did it! Thank you both very much!

I have been using PinPoint for a while, but I just switched over. Really, really liking it so far. Kudos and thank you, Lynn!

Jacob K0TES

Fred Hillhouse

It looks like the tile are from a secure server (https). Unless something has changed, they do not work.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

[...]

Avast logo

Fred Hillhouse

Never mind, I did not see the https check box. Hmm, when did that get added?

Fred N7FMH

[...]

LOL, it's in Development but not in General release.  It got added as more and more web sites switch over to https especially since recent version browsers are trying that before doing http.

On 4/20/2022 1:20 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

[...]

Thank you for adding it! I had asked for the feature some time ago and never noticed the inclusion.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

[...]

Hal Mueller

I wasn’t aware of Map Warper until this thread. I spent some time this evening kicking the tires (or the tiles?). Thanks for sharing!

I noticed that Map Warper is a bit erratic about delivering tiles. I tried the Rome NY canal map, a multi-state historic PNW map, and two other large scale maps of PNW recreational areas. They all worked fine in the iOS/Mac/tvOS map tile client I’m working on. Two others I tried (historic Seattle maps, both large scale) returned 50x errors for all of their tiles.

In all cases, the tiles came through client-side iff the Map Warper web browser rendered the map.

In summary: if you’re not seeing what you expect from MW in APRSISCE, check that Map Warper is not overcapacity/failing.

Hal
N3YX