Buddy feature

tim.kirby@btinternet.com <tim.kirby@...>

Hi Lynn,

Firstly, thank you very much for writing a really great bit of software. Julian, G4ILO introduced me to APRSIS for Win32 last week and I've been running it ever since.

I was thinking this morning that it would be nice to be able to set some sort of alert up so that I could see a message when a particular station or stations appeared on the map or moved or something.

Looking through the menu structure I can see View/Buddies. I'm guessing this might satisfy the requirement! I couldn't see a way to set a station as a 'Buddy' though. Is this something that you were planning to add in the future, or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again!

73, Tim, G4VXE (G4VXE-7)

http://www.g4vxe.com

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Good morning Tim!

tim.kirby@btinternet.com wrote:
Firstly, thank you very much for writing a really great bit of software. Julian, G4ILO introduced me to APRSIS for Win32 last week and I've been running it ever since.
You're welcome. It's like the folks at Google say, "I eat my own dog food". I wrote the client for myself and then decided to unleash it on the public when I figured it hadn't done anything strange to me in a long enough period of time. The UI-View replacement when I heard a rash of "why doesn't it do this" in the UI-View Yahoo Group. I can point back to G4IDE and UI-View as my original inspiration, but quickly quit using that software as I developed my own so as to introduce (what I hope are) new ideas to APRS-IS clients.

I was thinking this morning that it would be nice to be able to set some sort of alert up so that I could see a message when a particular station or stations appeared on the map or moved or something.
Actually, I'm hoping to implement an APRS-IS server (like CQSRVR) that will monitor stations for various triggers and send out APRS messages to a notification station. Maybe I'll consider adding that capability directly in the client for RF use as well....

Looking through the menu structure I can see View/Buddies. I'm guessing this might satisfy the requirement! I couldn't see a way to set a station as a 'Buddy' though. Is this something that you were planning to add in the future, or am I missing something obvious?
View/Buddies is the beginnings of the ability to see when one of your friends (or in my case, my wife) sends packets. I have an item on the ToDo list to make Buddie maintenance more straightforward, but for now it figures out buddies based on scanning the Additional Filter string. Just add elements like the following to define "Buddies".

b/KJ4DXK* b/KJ4ERJ* b/KJ4OVQ*

This will cause the scrolling station list to reverse-video any station starting with that callsign as well as mark that station as a "Buddie" for the View/Buddies display filter. When I get to the Buddie item on the ToDo list, there'll be a separate configuration list of station prefixes to define explicitly as Buddies and APRSISCE/32 will automatically create the filter string.

Thanks again!
You're always welcome. Keep providing the suggestions and together we'll make the client better and better.

TIM KIRBY <tim.kirby@...>

Lynn,

That's perfect - I can easily add manual filter strings, I'm quite happy at command line prompts! Will give that a go.

Thanks again.

Tim, G4VXE