Bi directional I gate will not transmit

Bradley Haney

Morning all.   I am attempting to set up a Bi directional I gate.   I would like to I gate to RF  Traffic that is seen from K9WRA-R I gate.  The only traffic this will see is Fusion radio's that have valid GPS in our area so I know it will not flood our area.   I did the control G  and test the filter of  e/K9WRA-R and i do see hits when  there is valid traffic so the filter appears good but i never see it TX on my  TNC out RF.     Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance.   k9bdh brad 

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You must be running the latest development version for reverse (-IS to RF) arbitrary (filtered) gating.  After setting up and monitoring your proposed filter with Control-G, you then type Control-I with focus on the main APRSIS32 window which will them prompt for final gating approval.  If Control-I doesn't show the prompt, then you either don't have a proposed filter set or you are not running the development version.

Also, filtered IGating must be enabled on each APRSIS32 restart.  It is purposefully not persisted.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 1/18/2022 9:55 AM, Bradley Haney via groups.io wrote:
Morning all.   I am attempting to set up a Bi directional I gate.   I would like to I gate to RF  Traffic that is seen from K9WRA-R I gate.  The only traffic this will see is Fusion radio's that have valid GPS in our area so I know it will not flood our area.   I did the control G  and test the filter of  e/K9WRA-R and i do see hits when  there is valid traffic so the filter appears good but i never see it TX on my  TNC out RF.     Any thoughts?   Thanks in advance.   k9bdh brad 

Brian Webster N2KGC

Do you have a valid APRS passcode and is it entered in the software? IF no then that will be your problem. The other thing to look for is under configure, ports, APRS-IS. In this windows make sure you check enabled, xmit enable, messages and others based on your needs.

Brian N2KGC

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bradley Haney via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 9:55 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] Bi directional I gate will not transmit

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Just to correct some misinformation.  The APRS passcode only controls whether or not packets injected to the APRS-IS will be propagated through the network.  Reverse gating only requires RECEIVING the desired packets FROM the APRS-IS which does not require the passcode at all.  The op's test filter is showing the packets, so that's not the issue and the APRS-IS port settings are fine for the purposes of this question.

But you do raise a good point.  The settings in the RF port can make a difference.  You should review the checkboxes in the intended transmit port settings to verify that they are correct.   At least Enabled, Xmit enable, and IS to RF should be checked for filtered reverse gating.  Messages should also be checked to support normal message gating to RF.  And of course, RF to IS should always be checked for an IGate.

And you should also verify that Enables / Ports / Receive Only is NOT checked as this will disable transmitting on all RF ports for any reason.

And the final question is: Are your APRSIS32 beacons transmitting on the RF port?  If they are, then the transmit logic from APRSIS32 to the TNC to the radio is fine.  But if clicking the Transmit menu option doesn't key your radio with the beacon packet, you need to solve RF transmitting in general before getting into reverse filtered IGating.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 1/18/2022 10:17 AM, Brian Webster N2KGC via groups.io wrote:

Do you have a valid APRS passcode and is it entered in the software? IF no then that will be your problem. The other thing to look for is under configure, ports, APRS-IS. In this windows make sure you check enabled, xmit enable, messages and others based on your needs.

Brian N2KGC

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bradley Haney via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 9:55 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] Bi directional I gate will not transmit