?APRSP

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi all,

Does ?APRSP QUERY work in APRSIS32 please? It is supposed to work when you select MULTITTRACK also, but since no station replies to ?APRSP I wonder if the receiving station has to activate something in the menus.
I use the latest development version and all my friends who I send the ?APRSP queries also use the development version.
All other QUERIES work fine for us. ?APRSP does not seem to do anything.
Any ideas?

--
73 de Demetre M0SUY/SV1UY
APRS: 1st & best Social Network

Adam Mahnke

It appears to be working fine on my home station.

What station are you trying to get to send a position that it isn't working?

Adam
KC2ANT

Sent from my LG V40 ThinQ, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

------ Original message------
Date: Wed, Feb 17, 2021 05:29
To: APRSISCE@groups.io;
Cc:
Subject:[APRSISCE] ?APRSP

Hi all,

Does ?APRSP QUERY work in APRSIS32 please? It is supposed to work when you select MULTITTRACK also, but since no station replies to ?APRSP I wonder if the receiving station has to activate something in the menus.
I use the latest development version and all my friends who I send the ?APRSP queries also use the development version.
Any ideas?

--

Lynn Deffenbaugh

?APRSP does work and is acted on when received in an APRS message by an APRSIS32 instance.  However, IIRC the original specification of that query was not as an APRS message, but as a non-directed query packet.  APRSIS32 does not support sending such queries because I didn't want to risk flooding the channel with the responses.

Just re-checked aprs101.pdf and there are "General" and "Directed" queries.  APRSIS32 only supports "Directed" queries which are the payload of an APRS message packet.  And my memory was worng (sic) on the ?APRSP as it is documented only as a directed query.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 2/17/2021 6:05 AM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
It appears to be working fine on my home station.

What station are you trying to get to send a position that it isn't working?

Adam
KC2ANT

Sent from my LG V40 ThinQ, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

------ Original message------
Date: Wed, Feb 17, 2021 05:29
Cc:
Subject:[APRSISCE] ?APRSP

Hi all,

Any ideas?

--

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Thanks Lynn,

It seems that when I send ?APRSP to a station I can hear on RF, then I get a reply to my QUERY.

When I send a Directed QUERY to RF addressed to a station I cannot hear directly and it has to go via an IGATE-Internet-IGATE and back to his local RF, as in the case of SV1WE who is in Athens-GR and I am in Gateshead-UK, then he does not reply to it! He does reply to most other QUERIES though. I tested ?DX, ?VER, ?APRSD, ?APRSH etc.

All other DIRECTED QUERIES work immediately, but ?APRSP, work fine. This is what puzzles me!

--

James Ewen

SV1WE does not appear to be running APRSISCE/32.

2021-02-18 16:05:50 MST: SV1WE>APZDMR,QTH*,TCPIP*,qAU,SIXTH:)SV1WE-DP!3749.10N/02348.97ErRNG0034 IPSC2-GR-DMO MMDVM 431.0500 MHz 

APRSISCE/32 uses a tocall of APWW11 as seen in Lynn's packet.

KJ4ERJ>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,EIGHTH:@165022h2759.79N/08039.53WlFull Feed Monitor!wwu!Ej.

You asked:

"Does ?APRSP QUERY work in APRSIS32 please?"

The answer is yes, it does work. APRSISCE/32 can send the query, and it can respond to the query. The question you need answered is does the application that IDs as APZDMR in the tocall respond to ?APRSP?

It seems that you know the answer to this question... No response means no it doesn't.

James
VE6SRV

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@...> wrote:
Thanks Lynn,

It seems that when I send ?APRSP to a station I can hear on RF, then I get a reply to my QUERY.

When I send a Directed QUERY to RF addressed to a station I cannot hear directly and it has to go via an IGATE-Internet-IGATE and back to his local RF, as in the case of SV1WE who is in Athens-GR and I am in Gateshead-UK, then he does not reply to it! He does reply to most other QUERIES though. I tested ?DX, ?VER, ?APRSD, ?APRSH etc.

All other DIRECTED QUERIES work immediately, but ?APRSP, work fine. This is what puzzles me!

--

Randy Love

Just a hunch, but I bet that APZDMR is one-way GPS data from DMR devices to APRS... 
In that case, the person's DMR radio probably doesn't actually support true APRS functionality.
Randy
WF5X

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 12:06 PM James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

2021-02-18 16:05:50 MST: SV1WE>APZDMR,QTH*,TCPIP*,qAU,SIXTH:)SV1WE-DP!3749.10N/02348.97ErRNG0034 IPSC2-GR-DMO MMDVM 431.0500 MHz 

KJ4ERJ>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,EIGHTH:@165022h2759.79N/08039.53WlFull Feed Monitor!wwu!Ej.

You asked:

The answer is yes, it does work. APRSISCE/32 can send the query, and it can respond to the query. The question you need answered is does the application that IDs as APZDMR in the tocall respond to ?APRSP?

It seems that you know the answer to this question... No response means no it doesn't.

James
VE6SRV

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@...> wrote:
Thanks Lynn,

--

Randy Love

Here is a page that describes it as DMR APRS... but it's not REALLY APRS... 

Randy 
WF5X

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:20 PM Randy Love via groups.io <rlove31=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just a hunch, but I bet that APZDMR is one-way GPS data from DMR devices to APRS... 
In that case, the person's DMR radio probably doesn't actually support true APRS functionality.
Randy
WF5X

You asked:

James
VE6SRV

Thanks Lynn,

--

Randy Love

The BM TOCALL is APBMxD, so it's not from the Brandmeister network, it's something else... 
APZDMR isn't in the tocalls.txt on aprs.org

Randy
WF5X

TO-CALL

APBMxx is officially assigned to BrandMeister (http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt)

• APBMnD is in use by main software (BrandMeister DMR Server)
  • APBMnS is reserved for supplimentary services such as rpt2aprs

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:25 PM Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

Randy 
WF5X

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:20 PM Randy Love via groups.io <rlove31=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Randy
WF5X

You asked:

James
VE6SRV

Thanks Lynn,

--

Randy Love

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM Randy Love via groups.io <rlove31=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

The BM TOCALL is APBMxD, so it's not from the Brandmeister network, it's something else... 

Randy
WF5X

TO-CALL

APBMxx is officially assigned to BrandMeister (http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt)

Randy 
WF5X

Randy
WF5X

You asked:

James
VE6SRV

Thanks Lynn,

--

James Ewen

Nice sleuthing. I had a look in the tocalls document and found nothing. 

Just had a quick poke around the website you listed and can’t find anything that provides useful information about the APRS portion. Looks like it might just be a noise maker that only sends out information and doesn’t actually communicate. 

The original query made it sound like he was getting responses to some queries. At least that’s how I read the statements made. 

James

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 1:40 PM Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 3:29 PM Randy Love via groups.io <rlove31=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Randy
WF5X

TO-CALL

Randy 
WF5X

Randy
WF5X

You asked:

James
VE6SRV

Thanks Lynn,

--

--
James
VE6SRV

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Sorry guys,

I forgot to give you the SSID. It is SV1WE-1.

--

Randy Love

Capture from APRS.FI of queries 

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021, 6:13 AM Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY <demetre.sv1uy@...> wrote:
Sorry guys,

I forgot to give you the SSID. It is SV1WE-1.

--

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi Randy,

I get replies to all my APRS QUERIES to SV1WE-1, all except for the "?APRSP" QUERIES I send him. Of course our link is via IGATES, not direct on RF because I am in the UK and he is in Greece and we are both on 144,800 kHz.

I wonder if this happens because although I contact him on RF my PACKETS can only reach him via my local APRS IGATE to his local APRS IGATE and eventually to him on his local RF. If I send a "?APRSP" QUERY to any other station I can see direct on RF, they always transmit their Position BEACON as a reply to my APRS QUERY.

--

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi,

Same thing happens when I send ?APRSP to SV1GGY-1, who also uses APRSIS32, but he replies to all other APRS QUERIES I send him!

--

Greg Depew

Do you happen to have the station multi tracked? What response are you expecting back? ?APRSP only send a position report. It will not send any messages back. 

KB3KBR Greg.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/21/21 15:08 (GMT-05:00)
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] ?APRSP

Hi,

Same thing happens when I send ?APRSP to SV1GGY-1, who also uses APRSIS32, but he replies to all other APRS QUERIES I send him!

--

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Wait, this just dawned on me.  ?APRSP does not HAVE a reply!  It is a remote request that the recipient transmit a position report!  So, have you verified that the target station did or did not transmit a position report when ?APRSP is received?

I just verified the source code and the processing of a received ?APRSP simply sets the internal "ForceTransmit" flag just like the Transmit menu option.  So the station will subsequently transmit a position report if it is so configured.  If the receiving station isn't configured for transmitting position reports (for whatever reason), then the remote query shouldn't override those settings.

On 2/21/2021 3:08 PM, Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY wrote:
Hi,

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Wow, there must have been a wave of insight flow through the ether on that answer!

On 2/21/2021 3:50 PM, Greg Depew wrote:
Do you happen to have the station multi tracked? What response are you expecting back? ?APRSP only send a position report. It will not send any messages back. 

KB3KBR Greg.

Hi,

--

Greg Depew

Haha! I just happened to reread thru some of the emails stating he got responses back for the other queries and realized I didn't know what he expected back. 

KB3KBR Greg.

Date: 2/21/21 16:15 (GMT-05:00)
To: APRSISCE@groups.io

Wow, there must have been a wave of insight flow through the ether on that answer!

On 2/21/2021 3:50 PM, Greg Depew wrote:

KB3KBR Greg.

Hi,

--

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for reply. ?APRSP is supposed to force the receiving station to transmit a BEACON. This is useful if you want to multitrack.
For me to see the queried station's Position Beacon via an IGATE, I must first send him a message and after I get an ACK, any Position Beacon he sends should appear in my APRSIS32 MULTITRACKing MAP. Now this does not happen if the queried station sends his Position Beacon as reply to my query. It happens if he sends it manually though.

Funny thing an maybe this is not an APRSIS32 problem. I don't know!

Maybe I confused you before. I hope what I am saying now makes more sence!

--

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, now I understand what you are expecting and what you are seeing.  And everything is actually WAD.  But first I need to make sure that the station we're talking about is NOT in your normal range, nor matched by your currently active APRS-IS filter terms. If that is in fact the case, then then only packets your APRS-IS server will actually deliver to you are a) messages addressed to you from that station and b) the next position report that the station issues AFTER having sent you a message.

So, the posit after receiving a message makes sense.  And the "missing" posit when sending a ?APRSP also makes sense because the station didn't send YOU a message (or even a response, which is really just another message) before sending the posit.

If you check aprs.fi's raw packets, do you see the posit there that should have been triggered by the ?APRSP?

On 2/22/2021 9:49 AM, Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY wrote:
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for reply. ?APRSP is supposed to force the receiving station to transmit a BEACON. This is useful if you want to multitrack.
For me to see the queried station's Position Beacon via an IGATE, I must first send him a message and after I get an ACK, any Position Beacon he sends should appear in my APRSIS32 MULTITRACKing MAP. Now this does not happen if the queried station sends his Position Beacon as reply to my query. It happens if he sends it manually though.

Funny thing an maybe this is not an APRSIS32 problem. I don't know!

Maybe I confused you before. I hope what I am saying now makes more sence!