APRSISCE GPS

Burt N Sammis

i currently have APRSISCE/32 up and running on a computer.
In the Enables menu I have GPS Enabled.
On the screen displayed in the upper left hand corner is a square with two dashes and a smaller square with 3 smaller dashes.
I have a Kenwood TM-D710 running with GPS flashing showing it is receiving.
The D710 is connected to the computer with the furnished cable.
In the lower righthand corner of the screen shows no fix.

I have also connected a standalone GPS to the computer with the same results.
What am I missing?
Burt
AF5AA

Min

HI Burt

If your fixed station put the location in manually as any gps position location will suffer from GPS jitter and location will move by several yds/meters

Turn off GPS and fix the location on the screen.

Min G0JMS

i currently have APRSISCE/32 up and running on a computer.
In the Enables menu I have GPS Enabled.
On the screen displayed in the upper left hand corner is a square with two dashes and a smaller square with 3 smaller dashes.
I have a Kenwood TM-D710 running with GPS flashing showing it is receiving.
The D710 is connected to the computer with the furnished cable.
In the lower righthand corner of the screen shows no fix.

I have also connected a standalone GPS to the computer with the same results.
What am I missing?
Burt
AF5AA

Lynn Deffenbaugh

And if you're trying to go mobile with your D710 feeding the GPS through, you need to use the proper <OpenCmd>s to enable that passthrough and also check a box on the RF Interface to tell APRSIS32 that it can try to parse NMEA from that port.

And the D710 only passes the GPS data through in one mode, but I don't remember which one it is.  But it's definitely NOT KISS, which unfortunately is the most reliable and capable mode.

On 5/1/2021 3:05 PM, Min via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Lets try this again.
I have everything working to my satisfaction except the Enables-GPS Enable.
When I activate Enables menu to show the info on the screen I get in the upper left corner a box with 2 large dashes and a smaller box
with 3 smaller dashes.
In the lower right corner of the screen in a small box I get No Fix.
Across the bottom of the screen there is no satellite info.
i am running a D710 with a GPS attached to the head.  As stated in a previous post I have attached a stand alone GPS with same results
What gives?

Another problem I have encountered I have activated Frequency Monitor.  When I deactivate it will not go away.  Raher annoying.  How do I get rid of it?
Burt
AF5AA

If your fixed station put the location in manually as any gps position location will suffer from GPS jitter and location will move by several yds/meters

Turn off GPS and fix the location on the screen.

Min G0JMS

i currently have APRSISCE/32 up and running on a computer.
In the Enables menu I have GPS Enabled.
On the screen displayed in the upper left hand corner is a square with two dashes and a smaller square with 3 smaller dashes.
I have a Kenwood TM-D710 running with GPS flashing showing it is receiving.
The D710 is connected to the computer with the furnished cable.
In the lower righthand corner of the screen shows no fix.

I have also connected a standalone GPS to the computer with the same results.
What am I missing?
Burt
AF5AA

Rob Giuliano

These 2 methods of connecting of connecting a GPS to APRSIS32 are very different.

Let's start with the 'stand alone' GPS:
1. This connection is made with a NMEA port type
    Menu >Configure >Ports >NMEA
       Choose the port type and settings for the attached GPS
    Menu >Enables GPS Enabled    => the data should be from the GPS port

    I do not see an easy way to change port type or delete the NMEA settings, once entered.
    It appears you must edit the XML file to delete and reconfigure this port.

Next is the 'SHARED' GPS data on an RF port
2. This connection MOSTLY relies on the device severing the GPS data along with the TNC data
    The only configuration beyond the RF port settings can be:
       a) GPS NMEA checkbox - indicates there is GPS data available on this port
       b) <OpenCMD> commands to configure the device to send the GPS data (if needed)
    In your case, the 'device' is the D710 with its built in capability.
    You must check GPS NMEA in the RF port box for sure.
    As for the D710:
       Lynn has already posted about GPS data only being available in certain modes of the D710.
       For the settings that enable the GPS data to be passed to an attached computer, you need to look to the D710 manual.

I am pretty sure you don't want both types active at the same time.
Lynn can verify, but I believe the NMEA port type has priority, so if that is configured, it looks there first.

I am not familiar with Frequency Monitor.  Is this a function of the D710 or APRSIS32?
If it is a function of the D710, you might have better luck on a D710 group.

On Monday, May 3, 2021, 8:35:25 AM EDT, Burt N Sammis <kango03@...> wrote:

Lets try this again.
I have everything working to my satisfaction except the Enables-GPS Enable.
When I activate Enables menu to show the info on the screen I get in the upper left corner a box with 2 large dashes and a smaller box
with 3 smaller dashes.
In the lower right corner of the screen in a small box I get No Fix.
Across the bottom of the screen there is no satellite info.
i am running a D710 with a GPS attached to the head.  As stated in a previous post I have attached a stand alone GPS with same results
What gives?

Another problem I have encountered I have activated Frequency Monitor.  When I deactivate it will not go away.  Raher annoying.  How do I get rid of it?
Burt
AF5AA

Rob Giuliano

I just tested the GPS setup, and the ports appear to be "or'ed".
I was able to connect through method 2, even with method 1 configured but no device attached.

Then I switched.
I was able to connect through method 1 (GPS directly connected), even with method 2 configured with RF GPS enabled but no device attached.

So, your issues should be working for any method (1 or 2, or both below) is configured properly.
If I read your intentions, the D710 configuration is the key to getting GPS data through the RF port.

On Monday, May 3, 2021, 9:12:28 AM EDT, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Depew

For the frequency monitor it has to be visible the go back into enables and unchecked it. Or while it is up right click on it and uncheck enabled.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

If your fixed station put the location in manually as any gps position location will suffer from GPS jitter and location will move by several yds/meters

Turn off GPS and fix the location on the screen.

Min G0JMS

i currently have APRSISCE/32 up and running on a computer.
In the Enables menu I have GPS Enabled.
On the screen displayed in the upper left hand corner is a square with two dashes and a smaller square with 3 smaller dashes.
I have a Kenwood TM-D710 running with GPS flashing showing it is receiving.
The D710 is connected to the computer with the furnished cable.
In the lower righthand corner of the screen shows no fix.

I have also connected a standalone GPS to the computer with the same results.
What am I missing?
Burt
AF5AA

T W

This is interesting. I have frequency monitor enabled but nothing ever pops up.

On 3 May 2021, at 17:50, Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg, I right clicked on Fequency Monitor, Schazam, it was gone.
Thanks, Burt, AF5AA.

Sent from my Galaxy