Topics

APRSISCE and OpenTracker2

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Lynn,,

I am running a Tracker2 mainly as a tracker in my vehicle. Prior to APRSISCE, I used SmartPalm running on a Palm M130. With SmartPalm, it left the Tracker2 Settings alone and I used it mainly to see other traffic and send an occasionally message. With an acquisition of a laptop, I am now running APRSISCE.

I had TEXT enabled and could see other stations appear and such but sending a message (EMAIL) never seemed to work. At lunch I re-configured the T2 and APRSISCE for KISS and the messaging worked. I did notice that it kept trying to send. I only know it worked because when I got back to my office, I had each email I sent myself.

I have set APRSISCE to N7FMH-1 while the OT2 is N7FMH-9. Should they be different? Both are appearing on APRS.FI.

My intention is for the T2 to operate with or without the laptop connected so all the settings in it need to stay intact. Can I expect this?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Fred Hillhouse wrote:
I am running a Tracker2 mainly as a tracker in my vehicle. Prior to APRSISCE, I used SmartPalm running on a Palm M130. With SmartPalm, it left the Tracker2 Settings alone and I used it mainly to see other traffic and send an occasionally message. With an acquisition of a laptop, I am now running APRSISCE.
I suspect you mean APRSIS32, but that's ok. They're the same source code with two different platform builds and very few features in one that are not in the other.

I had TEXT enabled and could see other stations appear and such but sending a message (EMAIL) never seemed to work. At lunch I re-configured the T2 and APRSISCE for KISS and the messaging worked. I did notice that it kept trying to send. I only know it worked because when I got back to my office, I had each email I sent myself.
I suspect that there were no bi-directional, transmitting IGates in your area, but there was a receiving IGate. The acknowledgments from EMAIL-2 were not getting back to the client, so it did 5 retransmissions (I'm guessing). Even the EMAIL-2 confirmation message was probably not delivered to the RF environment where you were listening.

You can confirm that stations are actually being received from RF and not -IS by toggling View / RF / All on. It will automatically turn off the View / All and you should only see "recent" RF stattions after that. Direct and Local restrict the RF view even further and can be remotely queried by sending an APRS message containing ?APRSD or ?APRSL.

I have set APRSISCE to N7FMH-1 while the OT2 is N7FMH-9. Should they be different? Both are appearing on APRS.FI.
Yes, they should be different and this is good. I use -12 for my APRSISCE/32 client based on the recommendations I copied into http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ssids

My intention is for the T2 to operate with or without the laptop connected so all the settings in it need to stay intact. Can I expect this?
Yes, the T2 is the same as my T2-135 which I used in a similar mode, although I don't have the luxury of running the Nuvi 350 and KISS at the same time. I'm still considering bringing the second port out the rear connector on my Alinco DR-135 so that I can keep one port in Garmin mode for the Nuvi and the other port in KISS mode for a BlueTooth to serial link to APRSISCE on my cellphone.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Thanks!
Best regards,
Fred

Craig Leventhal

Fred,

I could be mistaken, but from what I recall reading or seeing on the net about receiving APRS "emails" is that their was some kind of whitelist setting, maybe I 'm getting this mixed up with Airmail.

Craig - KI6WLP

> I am running a Tracker2 mainly as a tracker in my vehicle. Prior to
> APRSISCE, I used SmartPalm running on a Palm M130. With SmartPalm, it
> left the Tracker2 Settings alone and I used it mainly to see other
> traffic and send an occasionally message. With an acquisition of a
> laptop, I am now running APRSISCE.

I suspect you mean APRSIS32, but that's ok. They're the same source
code with two different platform builds and very few features in one
that are not in the other.

> I had TEXT enabled and could see other stations appear and such but
> sending a message (EMAIL) never seemed to work. At lunch I
> re-configured the T2 and APRSISCE for KISS and the messaging worked. I
> did notice that it kept trying to send. I only know it worked because
> when I got back to my office, I had each email I sent myself.

I suspect that there were no bi-directional, transmitting IGates in your
area, but there was a receiving IGate. The acknowledgments from EMAIL-2
were not getting back to the client, so it did 5 retransmissions (I'm
guessing). Even the EMAIL-2 confirmation message was probably not
delivered to the RF environment where you were listening.

You can confirm that stations are actually being received from RF and
not -IS by toggling View / RF / All on. It will automatically turn off
the View / All and you should only see "recent" RF stattions after
that. Direct and Local restrict the RF view even further and can be
remotely queried by sending an APRS message containing ?APRSD or ?APRSL.

> I have set APRSISCE to N7FMH-1 while the OT2 is N7FMH-9. Should they
> be different? Both are appearing on APRS.FI.

Yes, they should be different and this is good. I use -12 for my
APRSISCE/32 client based on the recommendations I copied into
http://aprsisce. wikidot.com/ ssids

> My intention is for the T2 to operate with or without the laptop
> connected so all the settings in it need to stay intact. Can I expect
> this?

Yes, the T2 is the same as my T2-135 which I used in a similar mode,
although I don't have the luxury of running the Nuvi 350 and KISS at the
same time. I'm still considering bringing the second port out the rear
connector on my Alinco DR-135 so that I can keep one port in Garmin mode
for the Nuvi and the other port in KISS mode for a BlueTooth to serial
link to APRSISCE on my cellphone.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Fred

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Craig,

I don't think so. I was able to send myself two emails today without going anywhere to sign up, etc. It didn't seem to work in TEXT mode but i would have to try that again to be sure.

To receive messages through APRS beyond my local area (within radio earshot) teh message does have to pass through an I-Gate. The I-Gate does have to be configured to pass IS to RF messages. One of the local operators will not configure his machine to do that. So it will be handled a different way.

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

________________________________
[...]

I added the GTRANS to my T2 and it was worth it!

Best regards,
Fred, N7FMH

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Fred, Craig, and all,

I don't know how many of you saw my dissertation on the miracle that is APRS messaging. If not, check it out at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messenging-explained

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Broncus wrote:

[...]

g4ilo

Is "messenging" a word? :)

Julian, G4ILO

Fred, Craig, and all,

I don't know how many of you saw my dissertation on the miracle that is
APRS messaging. If not, check it out at
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messenging-explained

Lynn Deffenbaugh

It is when your fingers get fat late at night! Thanks for noticing. I fixed the title, but now both pages exist! Hopefully I'll get some time soon to figure out the Wiki. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messaging-explained I'll delete the bad URL page in a few days. I don't want it to disappear after having so recently put out the link....

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Going on a finger diet to reduce the fatness :)

g4ilo wrote:

Is "messenging" a word? :)

Julian, G4ILO

Fred, Craig, and all,

I don't know how many of you saw my dissertation on the miracle that is APRS messaging. If not, check it out at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/aprs-messenging-explained

Fred Hillhouse

I did read it. You did good!

KISS seems to work while TEXT seems to not work. But I won't get my shorts in a bind yet. The conditions the other night when trying TEXT was not the best. I will try it again. I intent to use KISS anyway.

Best regards,
Fred