APRSISCE32 and IS->RF

Carl

I gather most APRS software filters out any packets with TCPIP in the path.   I suspect APRSISCE32 does too?   Thing is, my igate is bidirectional for messages, and unidirectional
for position packets but covers a very small area in a dip surrounded by hills.   What I want to do is grab any APRS-IS traffic within 8km of my node and bump it to RF  (we are talking,
hardly any) but it will raise the profile of APRS here and mean APRSdroid users that happen to drive through will be broguht to RF attention - its basically dead otherwise.  Is there a funky .XML edit that might let me do this?  Or is it simply 'not ever cool'??

Carl  GW0TQM   ( MB7UMD igate )

Adam Mahnke

Morning Carl,

There are a few of us that are set up for very similar situations.

First, you have to be running the development Version.

Second, hit "ctrl+G" to open your test filter

Then, using the filters that you can find here "http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx" build your filter for the stations that you want to take to RF.

The suggestion is that you run this filter for a considerable amount of time and make sure that you're only gating the things that you want to.

Once you have the filter built and tested let us know and then there is one more command to make it go "Live"

Adam
KC2ANT

On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 11:49 AM Carl via groups.io <gw0tqm=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I gather most APRS software filters out any packets with TCPIP in the path.   I suspect APRSISCE32 does too?   Thing is, my igate is bidirectional for messages, and unidirectional
for position packets but covers a very small area in a dip surrounded by hills.   What I want to do is grab any APRS-IS traffic within 8km of my node and bump it to RF  (we are talking,
hardly any) but it will raise the profile of APRS here and mean APRSdroid users that happen to drive through will be broguht to RF attention - its basically dead otherwise.  Is there a funky .XML edit that might let me do this?  Or is it simply 'not ever cool'??

Carl  GW0TQM   ( MB7UMD igate )

Carl

I'm getting there thanks.  It's on test now.   Looks like its doing the right thing so far.

If you put multiple filters on the line, are they all followed separately, or is there a cumulative right to left effect.    It seemed to me that putting a t// after an r// seemed to override the r  (when I wondered if I could use the t// command  to refine the result of the r// ).  Im not sure I do exactly, I just wondered?

On Tuesday, 24 May 2022, 17:07:38 BST, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

[...]

It's an AND function list.

a/
AND
b/

Must both be true

Means if a station is inside an area rectangle, AND on this buddy list then gate them if they aren't heard on RF locally

I'll try to dig out my exact filter when I get to the office but the basics of it are

a/ area filter -b/callsigns of stations I don't want -s/symbols of objects I don't want

Inside this rectangle gate everything that is IS, not heard locally on RF AND not these specific station (SSID specific), AND not  these symbols (D-Star hot spots)

The filter as you see it on the website is an add to the AND function.

The - before the symbol filters those stations out of it, but it's still an AND function.

These also work for filtering stations you see on your screen, I just don't remember the name of the field for that and I'm on the road currently

Adam
KC2ANT

On Wed, May 25, 2022, 06:46 Carl via groups.io <gw0tqm=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Here is a filter I have in place currently for W2CXM

a/42.6295/-076.7045/42.2555/-076.23833 -b/KD2EAT/N2PYI-13/KC2DYR -s//a&/D

Area filter of the county the digi resides in
AND
Minus these specific stations, HAB station that is not useful for the local RF Network, a WX Station that is beaconing far too often the last time I checked, and another station with no local RF value
AND
Minus D-Star hot spot symbols

So, if it is a station not heard on local RF by W2CMX, AND it is within the area filter, AND it is not a specified station, AND it is not a D-Star hotspot symbol then it will take it from IS and put it on RF with the beacon path of the station, which is currently direct only as this is a fill in digi.

My D-Star Portable "KC2ANT" and my APRSISMO instance "KC2ANT-13" both show up on my local mobile rig when they are beaconing and I meet the above criteria.

Hopefully this is helpful.

If you tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and give us the filter that you're testing we may be able to assist you.

Adam
KC2ANT

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 6:55 AM Adam Mahnke via groups.io <kc2ant=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Right, thanks so much!

Well, simply I'm just setting a range at the moment.  I stupidly rounded up the lat long at first and it moved a long way off!

But given your way of filtering out DStar diamonds and also some fixed stations (two local repeaters, whilst useful info, are placed every ten minutes) that would work too.   I'd be able to bump the range higher.   I like APRS messaging folk - a surprising number reply.  Living in a town which is kind of in a dip at the edge of a mountain range is inconvenient (although pretty).

So I'm currently using

r/53.166833/-3.141333/12

(the 12km automatically becomes 7.5miles when the filter happens)

To remove the two repeaters I'd need to add
-b/GB3CR/GB3HM   presumably 'not buddy' and

-s//a&/D to remove the DStar alternate table symbols with a D overlayed.

I'm getting it now.  b/call1/call2/call3 is actually

AND ( call1 OR call2 OR call3)

So to summarise I'm now testing:-

r/53.166833/-3.141333/12 -b/GB3CR/GB3HM -s//a&/D

Phew.. it's turning into heiroglyphics... and the hope is that if people hear stuff on 144.8 they might get curious.   It's SO QUIET at the moment.

Carl
GW0TQM

https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FMB7UMD&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Wed, 25 May 2022 at 14:04, Adam Mahnke
<kc2ant@...> wrote:
[...]

messaging through the IGate is not affected by this filter, this is just for position packets (hoping Lynn will correct me if I'm wrong)

It looks like you're on the right path. When I get to setting one up at my home QTH it will be with a range instead of an area, but the W2CXM was to support the county, so I went with the area instead.

If you can hear GB3CR and HM via RF already they will already be filtered out based on the logic of the function.

What's the callsign and SSID that you're running this on?

Adam
KC2ANT

<kc2ant@...> wrote:
[...]

The igate is MB7UMD-10

The repeater packets are all coming from europe over the internet.

This is my current experimental filter.   It seems to be capturing one packet every two minutes, mostly mobiles, so
this seems pretty ideal.

Its currently set to:

r/53.1668333/-3.14133333/30 -b/GB*/MB*/MW0PJE-10/G7ICY -s//a&/D

This blocks the pi-star hotspots, the repeaters and the igates!  But it allows mobiles and manned stations - so makes most of the packets it lets in more interesting.  Including a Romanian lorry driver driving from Crewe to Liverpool and using a network radio.

That's exactly what I wanted to 'see'   :)

This is a complete hour of capture tonight.  Sorry to bore folk (you can skip the rest of this)      Carl

WinMain:2022-05-25T19:21:41.947 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]GW0TQM-9>5S1PPP,WIDE1-1,qAR,MB7UMD-10:`yal K\>op Carl
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:24:27.602 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0VAZ-10>APDW14,TCPIP*,qAC,T2LEIPZIG:!5323.94NR00307.70W&M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:35:59.293 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0OAU-1>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HK:=5322.00N/00250.99W#PHG33304/APRS IGATE
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:39:27.608 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0VAZ-10>APDW14,TCPIP*,qAC,T2LEIPZIG:!5323.94NR00307.70W&M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:41:03.658 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0OAU-1>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HK:=5322.00N/00250.99W#PHG33304/APRS IGATE
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:42:33.508 IS[*INT*](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]GW0TQM>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@194233h5310.43N/00309.04WlAPRS-IS for Win32
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:45:30.209 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,M0OAU-1:`xR>l!!u/`"4@}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:46:00.822 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,qAR,2E0BCI:`xR?l"-u/`"4>}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:46:31.846 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,WIDE1-1,qAR,2E0BCI:`xR@l! u/`"4>}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:47:09.734 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,qAR,2E0BCI:`xR?l!Du/`"4=}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:49:11.794 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,2E0BCI:`xR@l"4u/`"4:}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:51:16.210 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]GW0TQM-5>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:=5310.3 N/00309.1 W$/A=000562 qrz.com/dB/gw0tqm
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:51:52.769 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,qAR,2E0BCI:`xRBl,Ju/`"4;}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:52:46.852 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,WIDE1-1,qAR,2E0BCI:`xRAl,fu/`"4;}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:53:17.756 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,qAR,2E0BCI:`xRBl!]u/`"4:}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:53:59.944 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,2E0BCI:`xRAl ]u/`"4;}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:54:27.618 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0VAZ-10>APDW14,TCPIP*,qAC,T2LEIPZIG:!5323.94NR00307.70W&M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image
WinMain:2022-05-25T19:54:49.812 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]G7LLQ-9>US2SWQ,qAR,2E0BCI:`xRFl6\u/`"4;}_1
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:01:03.056 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]PE2KMV>APRS,TCPIP*,qAS,pe2kmv:;P-G0DUB  *252001z5310.30NP00248.59W#PHG0020DAPNET POCSAG TX: DAPNETGateway (048C)
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:05:58.374 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0OAU-1>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HK:=5322.00N/00250.99W#PHG33304/APRS IGATE
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:09:27.795 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0VAZ-10>APDW14,TCPIP*,qAC,T2LEIPZIG:!5323.94NR00307.70W&M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:11:04.650 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0OAU-1>APU25N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HK:=5322.00N/00250.99W#PHG33304/APRS IGATE
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:12:33.608 IS[*INT*](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]GW0TQM>APWW10,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:@201233h5310.43N/00309.04WlAPRS-IS for Win32
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:14:30.457 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.86N\00249.43Wk248/036/A=000255 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:14:54.537 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.79N\00249.83Wk264/037/A=000262 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:15:22.388 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.81N\00250.29Wk280/035/A=000269 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:16:04.474 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.89N\00250.96Wk243/016/A=000301 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:16:19.528 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.80N\00250.99Wk189/022/A=000282 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:17:44.415 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.36N\00251.12Wk127/008/A=000242 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:17:59.488 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.35N\00251.04Wk100/017/A=000255 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:18:20.483 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.34N\00250.96Wk345/002/A=000272 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:20:56.498 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.34N\00250.96Wk114/001/A=000275 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:21:28.464 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.34N\00250.96Wk235/002/A=000252 Network Radios Romania
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:24:27.561 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]M0VAZ-10>APDW14,TCPIP*,qAC,T2LEIPZIG:!5323.94NR00307.70W&M0VAZ-10 iGate | DireWolf 1.4 on RPi+RTL-SDR using QSO365 image
WinMain:2022-05-25T20:26:22.451 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(r/53.166833/-3.141333/18.6mi)) [0]YO8TEH>APDR16,TCPIP*,qAC,T2KA:=5320.27N\00251.12Wk063/001/A=000265 Network Radios Romania

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Nope, APRS-IS filter terms are OR'd together every packet that matches any of the terms will go through.

On 5/25/2022 6:55 AM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
[...]

Thanks Lynn, I knew I'd get something wrong.

Adam
KC2ANT

On Wed, May 25, 2022, 18:19 Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

It's one of those strange things to describe in language.  Like the following filter:

b/KJ4ERJ* t/p

Will get all packets from any of KJ4ERJ's -SSIDs AND all position packets from anyone.  So that would seem like an AND, but in fact it specifies that you want all KJ4ERJ -SSID packets OR anything that is a position packet.

The - and (APRSIS32-specific) + modifiers change this as follows:

b/KJ4ERJ* -t/p says get all KJ4ERJ -SSID packets but NOT any position packet, but more likely you'd be wanting

b/KJ4ERJ* +t/p which says get all KJ4ERJ -SSID packets but ONLY  those that are position packets.

So the + says "AND MUST BE" while - says "AND MUST NOT BE".

So, if all you want is position packets (along with the default messaging behavior), I'd recommend including +t/p on any IGate filter that you run.  That way -IS-based stations that also transmit telemetry and such (like periodic telemetry-definition messages), won't get needlessly gated to the local RF environment.

Remember, just t/p will include ALL position packets regardless of source coming to you from the APRS-IS, while +t/p will select ONLY position packets from the other terms of your IGate/test filter.

And if you want to only pick up APRS-IS-based station rather than retransmitting RF-based stations from your IGate, add a +D/TCPIP term to your IGate/test filter to only include those packets with TCPIP somewhere in their path, which should be true of all APRS-IS-based stations.  Note that this will still pick up stations that both transmit on RF and inject directly to the APRS-IS because the -IS packets are pretty much guaranteed to arrive before the RF-transmitted packets which will then be dropped by the APRS-IS dupe filter.

On 5/25/2022 6:21 PM, Adam Mahnke wrote:
[...]

Rob Giuliano

I debated sending this - I hope it doesn't add to the confusion.
AND and OR get confusing at the HIGHER level, when using them for restricting.

To me the confusing part is that the process you are using AND and OR for is a restriction (filter), so the meaning kind of flips.

AND => both conditions must be true before passing, so the pass restriction becomes more restrictive (less items pass).
EXAMPLE1: b/KJ4ERJ* +t/p
    The /b filter "ONLY" allows KJ4ERJ (any SSID) packets would get through.
        Those packets are checked against the second condition +t/p and only position packets pass this conidtion.
     So this would limit traffic to only KJ4ERJ position reports
         Not even 'other' packets from KJ4ERJ would get through - only position reports.
   In the case of an AND, order becomes important!
      Consider a position filter as the first element, then only if KJ4ERJ was within that area would you receive any data at all.

EXAMPLE2: b/KJ4ERJ* -t/p
     Only "non-position" packets from KJ4ERJ would get through, because -t/p would remove position packets.

So, we can be confident the actual filter string is "OR".
 Let through b/KJ4ERJ* OR anything that meets this +t/p

On Thursday, May 26, 2022, 08:48:10 AM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Carl,

If all of those "Hit" packets are things that you intend to pass to RF then you're good.

If there is stuff in that list that you don't think belongs on RF (Remember, you are responsible for what your station transmits, regardless of its origin) then we need to figure out how to filter it out.

Are the beacons from YO8TEH useful to the local RF Network? or are they just clutter? They're awful close together

Adam
KC2ANT

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 4:31 PM Carl via groups.io <gw0tqm=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Actually, if you look at it from the logic (not language) perspective, all non-modified terms are joined by OR.  The + and - modifiers are final AND terms that must match (+) or not match (-) whatever is selected from the non-modified OR terms.  If the + doesn't match, the OR-selected packets are dropped.  If the - matches, the OR-selected packets are dropped.  But the non-modified packets are absolutely OR'd together.  Any packet matching any non-modified term will be selected and will subsequently match the overall filter assuming they ALSO (AND) meet (or not) the modified terms.

On 5/26/2022 9:59 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
[...]

That was what I was trying to cooment on yhe language, nog logic.

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 16:10, Lynn Deffenbaugh
<kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Riiiight.   My bad.   It's isn't Boolean so much as a Venn diagram of sets of data.

The whole data is the full set.
t/p is a new set of positions within that.
r/50/3/30 +t/p is a position set within the range set
and r/50/3/30 -t/p  is the area inside the range set that is outside the position set  :)   Love it.

Sorry I seem to have stirred a bit of a nest up here.  But the filter is a lot more flexible than I imagined.

Carl

They were, but he was only twenty miles away and moving.  So it was ok, actually it was fascinating.    I wonder about changing callsigns when
mobile.   Six miles from me my callsign changes from GW0TQM to G0TQM - but it would be nuts if my APRS call had to too....

I'm still watching and its remarkably stable at one packet every two minutes on average so Im not too worried just now.

I think a bit more filter creativity will be possible as I learn.

On Thursday, 26 May 2022, 16:12:47 BST, Adam Mahnke <kc2ant@...> wrote:

[...]

If you're ready, and you have your filter running then hit "Ctrl+I" and it'll start gating.

Suggest you start the log for the transmission logs and watch them for a while.

Good luck

Adam
KC2ANT