From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of Wayne Morris via Groups.Io <waynemia@...>
Sent: Monday, March 9, 2020 11:01 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io>
Subject: [APRSISCE] APRSIS shutting down

I frequently find that APRSIS has shut down when I go up to check on it. I have the PC on a UPS and the program autostarts if the pc reboots. I saw something in one post about running a development release. I set my system up about 6 months ago or so. If I need to look into running a development release or something, I will research that. I don't know why it is shutting down.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris

Windows 10 but I have this program in the startup programs. I have verified that it autostarts when Windows boots. Windows is running but the program has stopped.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What version of APRSIS32 does About show you?  If it is the general release from 2012, there are certain packets that can cause it to crash.  If you upgrade to the latest development version, your mysterious disappearance should quit happening.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

PS.  Yes, Bob W9BU, I'm considering moving the current development version to general release before diving back in to make more changes.

On 3/10/2020 9:28 AM, Wayne Morris wrote:
Windows 10 but I have this program in the startup programs. I have verified that it autostarts when Windows boots. Windows is running but the program has stopped.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

AE5IB (Kip)

I have had problems with my Windows 10 laptop using Winlink.

Windows likes to shut down things when it thinks they are not used. It was shutting down the USB port to the TNC.

Maybe you have a similar problem.

Kip

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020, 8:35 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

What version of APRSIS32 does About show you?  If it is the general release from 2012, there are certain packets that can cause it to crash.  If you upgrade to the latest development version, your mysterious disappearance should quit happening.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

PS.  Yes, Bob W9BU, I'm considering moving the current development version to general release before diving back in to make more changes.

On 3/10/2020 9:28 AM, Wayne Morris wrote:
Windows 10 but I have this program in the startup programs. I have verified that it autostarts when Windows boots. Windows is running but the program has stopped.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris

OK, I am pretty sure it is the normal download. I will look into the developoment version tomorrow.

Thank you.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris

I completed the changes for the development version and the program did download the update. I will be monitoring the status to see if it is better about staying up.

--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Wayne Morris

I just wanted to add a note that the program has not shut down since implemeting the development version.
--
73's, Wayne, AC5V

Anthony Mascola

That's great.  I'm still not able to get either version working consistently unfortunately.  The development version seems to lose my GPS position feed.  I have reverted back to the production version and have to restart it every hour or so as it crashes but I can restart it and it works for a little while.  I don't always realize when it crashes and sometimes have been driving for awhile and after I get home to review I notice that my position feeds to APRS terminate well before the trip did.  Somehow with my hardware or settings neither version is stable.  If I use the development version I can't track my position while mobile nor beacon my position as it still says "No Fix" despite my transceiver having the correct data and the same settings in the production version working.  Anybody have any ideas about why this is happening?  As before I am using a Blutronium serial to USB connection.  See prior email.
AM