APRSIS Pass through GPS feed broken with Kenwood D710A

Anthony Mascola

My GPS pass through broke also recently.  I used to see my position and speed continuously on the APRSIS32 display in my Jeep though it was not always reliable. I used to be able to uninstall APRSIS32 and it would run for a time.  Now it consistently does not work at all

Configured Port: D710 APRS port configured to serial cable COM Port and checking GPS.  It's no longer working
Transceiver: Kenwood D710A
GPS: K6VHF GPS attached to operation panel of D710A (note as above the D710A does not have a built in GPS.  Note you do not configure this GPS unit as an NMEA GPS port on the same COM port as the transceiver.  It is intended to pass through the data through the COM port combining the TNC controls and GPS positioning data
Serial connection to computer: RT systems serial to USB cable or US Converters Blutronium serial to bluetooth dongle - neither work to pass through GPS data anymore
Computer: Toshiba WT8-A32 Windows 10 tablet, Fujitsu T902 laptop- neither receive GPS passthrough data anymore, both did previously

Is anyone running a D710A with an attached GPS unit such as the Greenlight labs, K6VHF or other and able to get pass through GPS to APRSIS32 as before?  I can beacon and run APRS fine from the Kenwood showing my speed and GPS coordinates accurately and know GPS is working properly.  Somehow something has changed that does not allow APRSIS32 to see and pass through this information as before.  I have spent hours and hours trying to get this working again...

Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes)

When passing data (of any type) through an RS232/USB adapter, the number one issue tends to be a change in COM port. Look at your port settings in APRSIS32 and compare with you device settings in Windows.

Fred N7FMH

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 1:00 AM Anthony Mascola via groups.io <a_mascola=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Reread your email. I still comparing settings is valid. I had trouble with Bluetooth adapters working most of the time rather than all the time. I found Bluetooth to be a frustrating endeavor.

Fred N7FMH

On Sat, May 16, 2020, 8:30 AM Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) via groups.io <f.hillhouse.jr=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I’ve confirmed the COM port settings are good.  APRSIS32 opens the TNC properly and I can see all of the stations I hear post onto the map and into the scrolling list I see their call signs appear as I hear each packet arrive.  Their position data and pacs are fine via RF.  The only thing missing is my personal GPS feed.  My speed and location are not passing from the transceiver to the software.  It says I have no fix even when I do have a good fix.  The speed doesn’t change and shows a dash even when I am moving.  If I try to beacon It tells me it won’t beacon until I get a fix even though on the D710 itself my position and speed indicate the GPS is working properly.  If I run APRS without using APRSis32 it works normally.  I’ve tried now with the Bluetooth serial adapter removed to eliminate that variable Using the RT systems cable and it still doesn’t pass my GPS information to the software somehow ...

On May 16, 2020, at 05:35, Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) <f.hillhouse.jr@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob Giuliano

I can't speak to the D710, but I have used GPS passthrough on a KISS port.
I dId not check the latest release, but with earlier May 2020 releases it was working.

If the D710 data is still "getting through", but the GPS data is not, I'd suggest:
   1. Enable logging for the D710 RF port <Menu> <Enables> <Logging> <port({D710})  (replace {D710} with your port name).
       You should see NMEA sentences within the log.  If you do, check APRSIS32 GPS viewing settings:
         a) GPS enabled checked in the Port setting box - yes double check
         b) <Menu> <Enables> <GPS Enabled>      When set you should see extra lines at the bottom and direction and speed - top left
         c) <Menu> <Configure> <Screen> <Speed Font Size> for speed above the APRS and port status.

   2. If no NMEA data is seen in the port log, try a terminal program (like TeraTerm).
       If no GPS data is seen, then the D710 isn't sending.
       If you see GPS Data in a Terminal program, but not in the port log, then Lynn can help troubleshoot - beyond me!

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 8:35:18 AM EDT, Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) <f.hillhouse.jr@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Please e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to KJ4ERJ@....  Or dig into it and find your <Open/CloseCmd>s for that port.  I suspect it isn't properly telling the D710 to send NMEA data out the serial port.

Are you running KISS (which doesn't support NMEA from the D710), APRS (which I don't remember) or Packet (which I know does) mode on your D710 port in APRSIS32?

On 5/16/2020 9:38 AM, Anthony Mascola via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I emailed the XML file as well as my notes for how I installed the software.  I recall being instructed to be sure to use the D710 APRS12 mode to maximize the ability for the transceiver to decode the packets and display information as well as the software to show the locations graphically.  I don't know if this was from Julian Moss's video or from the yahoo groups messages.  I will try to find the reference.   I recall this working for a long time but sporadically and now not at all.  Previously I would have to uninstall the software and reinstall using the above procedure to see my position and speed again and it would work for awhile and then stop working.  I was never sure why this was happening.  I sure would love to see a moving map display and have been trying on and off for a few years to get this running reliably and am not sure why I can't get it running consistently.  I sure appreciate all of the hard work you have put into this and sure hope I can get my Jeep running consistently as several of the Dad's in our scout troop want to use this to track our vehicles on the overlanding campouts if we can get this working.
Sincerely,
Anthony Mascola
KJ6OKV

On Saturday, May 16, 2020, 12:37:49 PM PDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

ve6tdx

Hi all.

I have the same problem after installing the new software.

I had to un-install the new version and put the old one on the computer and it worked fine.

So it is not the settings for the old one works fine, but so soon I tried to update to the new version the through-put

Is not working any more.

So back to the old version again.

Thanks.

Adrian VE6TDX

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Bruce Coates

Hi

This symptom first appeared in the July 17 2017 release of the development version and was present all subsequent versions.  The February 10 2017 was the last development version where the D710 passthrough worked.

In my case I'm running my D710 in APRS mode and it outputs the GPS data about every 2 seconds in the format of $PKWDPOS.  For me, my NMEA.logs file shows "Unrecognized Talker" each time it receives one of these string.

73, Bruce - VE5BNC

Lynn Deffenbaugh

THAT was the "magic bullet".  Upgrade to the latest dev release, (2020/05/17 07:00) which should fix this.  When I updated the NMEA parsing code to support more than $GP as a "listener" ID, Kenwoods non-standard $PK (as in $PKWDPOS) was inadvertently considered to be invalid.