Topics

APRS text documents

Gurdon Wolfe

Anybody know how to prevent text and log documents appearing on my desktop?
Any help would be appreciated.
73, Don
W4GCW

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Make sure you have the .EXE not directly on your desktop or the shortcut you use to start the client specifies a default directory that is not your desktop.  These files are created in the shortcut's default directory (if using a shortcut) or in the directory with the .EXE (if double-clicking the .EXE to launch).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 10/20/2020 3:22 PM, Gurdon Wolfe via groups.io wrote:
73, Don
W4GCW

Rob Giuliano

I assume you are talking about APRSIS32 logs.
These are stored in the same folder as the APRSIS32.exe, APRSIS32.XML and APRSIS32-Safe.XML.
Or in the 'Start in' folder specified in the shortcut.

The preferred configuraton would be to place APRSIS32 in a folder and create a shortcut on the desktop.  All required files would then be placed in that folder (the Maps folder, XML, and all log files).  Some people place this in Program Files(x86), but Windows 7 and above does not easily allow configuration files and maps to be written there.  Most user prefer a folder off the base (root drive) where you can control the user properties and allow the map folder and files, logs, and xmls to be properly maintained by application.

Personally, I prefer a structure like this:
  C:\WinApps\Tools               (specialty file tools and other key applications)
  C:\WinApps\Radio              (APRSIS32 and other apllications)
  C:\WinApps\Electronics     (Arduino and other applications)

But you can choose any structure you like.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 3:23:07 PM EDT, Gurdon Wolfe via groups.io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

73, Don
W4GCW

Gurdon Wolfe

Many thanks Lynn and Robert, that's
a big help.
73, Don
W4GCW

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io
<kb8rco@...> wrote:
These are stored in the same folder as the APRSIS32.exe, APRSIS32.XML and APRSIS32-Safe.XML.

The preferred configuraton would be to place APRSIS32 in a folder and create a shortcut on the desktop.  All required files would then be placed in that folder (the Maps folder, XML, and all log files).  Some people place this in Program Files(x86), but Windows 7 and above does not easily allow configuration files and maps to be written there.  Most user prefer a folder off the base (root drive) where you can control the user properties and allow the map folder and files, logs, and xmls to be properly maintained by application.

C:\WinApps\Tools               (specialty file tools and other key applications)

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 3:23:07 PM EDT, Gurdon Wolfe via groups.io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

73, Don
W4GCW

Gurdon Wolfe

Got it, thanks.

73, Don
 W4GCW

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 03:39:18 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

73, Don
W4GCW

Gurdon Wolfe

Got it, thanks.

73, Don
 W4GCW

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020, 03:32:59 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Make sure you have the .EXE not directly on your desktop or the shortcut you use to start the client specifies a default directory that is not your desktop.  These files are created in the shortcut's default directory (if using a shortcut) or in the directory with the .EXE (if double-clicking the .EXE to launch).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 10/20/2020 3:22 PM, Gurdon Wolfe via groups.io wrote:
73, Don
W4GCW