From: Al Massaro <almassaro1@...>
Date: 11/11/20 12:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] APRS-IS RESOLVE/APRS-IS DELAY

In all of the years I have been running APRS_IS I have never seen this before, I have 2 computers doing the same thing. CWOP is operational.
I have no stations populating on the screen other than wx
Is there an issue with firenet?
AL M
KF5Smh

Patrick Connor

I too, am seeing the same thing. The server responds to a log in request with "port full". It seems as though firenet has become too popular, and the servers can't handle the traffic. I find the information passed on by these servers very useful.

Patrick (N3TSZ)

On Wednesday, November 11, 2020, 04:06:20 PM EST, KE6BB via groups.io <rv6amark@...> wrote:

The short answer is yes, but I don't have any details.  I too, see the same thing here in Southern California using firenet.aprs2.net.  It has been happening a lot lately.

Mark,
KE6BB

In all of the years I have been running APRS_IS I have never seen this before, I have 2 computers doing the same thing. CWOP is operational.
I have no stations populating on the screen other than wx
Is there an issue with firenet?
AL M
KF5Smh

Glenn O'Connor

The types of connections...

Al Massaro

As of this AM I am still not able to resolve the connection, another ham 12 miles west has made the connection though. Not that distance/location has anything to do with it. I am attaching a cap with some notations to show what I am seeing here.

Steve N3FWE

Did this problem every get resolved?    It seems I may be having a similar problem.   I got a new computer with Windows 10.  I installed the software and copied over the configuration from my old computer.   After running the software I noticed I wasn't getting any stations from the internet except my Davis Weather Station.   I checked my old XP computer and it was doing the same thing.    I been running the software for a while and never had any issues like this before.   I connect to rotate.aprs.net on 14580.  I tried firenet and same issue.   I tried port 10152 to see if what would happen and I started receiving everything like I should.       My filters look ok.

I tried APRSdroid on my phone which connects to rotate.aprs.net  and that works fine.   Also my stand alone Davis Weather Station sends data to rotate.aprs.net and that is working.     Am I missing something or make a change I may of missed?

Steve, N3FWE

Rob Giuliano

Not sure why it stopped working, but most of the newer documentation suggest using "regional tier 2 rotate servers":
    North America       noam.aprs2.net
    South America      soam.aprs2.net
    Europe & Africa    euro.aprs2.net
    Asia                        asia.aprs2.net
    Oceania                  aunz.aprs2.net

The tier 2 server site says:
The mission of the Tier 2 Network is to provide reliable access to the APRS Internet Service for users around the world. With more than 80 servers worldwide, collecting and redistributing APRS traffic over the Internet, Tier 2 is the optimum choice for all APRS-IS users.

I'd suggest trying that.

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 2:47:46 PM EST, Steve N3FWE <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion.    I already tried that but forgot to mention it.    Also my beacons and status don't show up anymore on aprs.fi

Steve, N3FWE

Rob Giuliano

Now it sounds like an issue with the computer or gateway settings, likely DNS.

As I reread you previous post, you receive the posts from 'your Davis Weather Station' through the internet, but nothing else?  Your old XP computer was also having this issue?

APRSdroid on you phone works - wifi or using the phone's data plan?
  If it works on your data plan, then it is very likely in your home network router.

I'd check the network settings:
  <Windows Menu> >Settings >Network & Internet
     (or writeclick bottom right network icon and "Open Network & Internet setting")
Does the Network status show an internet connection?
Find the DNS settings for the adaptor you are connected with.
   Your ISP should give that info with your IP address, but sometimes ...
   You can add 8.8.8.8 to test.  That is an open Google furnished DNS server.

That's where I would start.

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 3:17:45 PM EST, Steve N3FWE <steve@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion.    I already tried that but forgot to mention it.    Also my beacons and status don't show up anymore on aprs.fi

Steve, N3FWE

Steve N3FWE

Old XP computer does not work.   Phone, Davis and computers all use the same gateway and on the same WIFI network.  I checked all the networking stuff.    I checked dns and tested with  nslookup, ping, added server by IP,  rebooted router etc  I work in networking so that was the first thing I tried.  Firewall is allowing the traffic.

The software does work with the unfiltered port 10152.   It seems related to the filter port 14580.   Its not just aprs.net but also firenet.aprs2.net

Steve, N3FWE

Rob Giuliano

Okay, then I'd suggest 2 thinks:
1. Double check your APRSIS PassCode in
    Menu >Configure >General (not a -1)
2. Clear all the filters:
    Menu >Configure >General >Add Filter:
    NOTE: This is an Add, I believe you map provides the first 'range' level filter
3. Double check Enables:
    a) Menu >Enables >APRS-IS Enabled (Says 'Disabled' if not set)
    b) Menu Enables >Beaconing Enabled (must know your current location)
4. Zoom in on your location and Transmit (so APRS-IS gets your location - if it works)

Last, check the log.
  Menu >Enabled >Logging >Port(APRS-IS)

See what it is showing as it tried to connect.

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 5:37:39 PM EST, Steve N3FWE <steve@...> wrote:

Old XP computer does not work.   Phone, Davis and computers all use the same gateway and on the same WIFI network.  I checked all the networking stuff.    I checked dns and tested with  nslookup, ping, added server by IP,  rebooted router etc  I work in networking so that was the first thing I tried.  Firewall is allowing the traffic.

The software does work with the unfiltered port 10152.   It seems related to the filter port 14580.   Its not just aprs.net but also firenet.aprs2.net

Steve, N3FWE

Steve N3FWE

Rob,

This morning I cleared all the filters on the new computer.     Then I added the same filters back I was using and the map came back to life.    I had done this before but it seem to work this time.       Then I shut down the software on the Win 10 computer and started up the software on the old XP computer.   It started working with no changes needed.

Now sure what happen but thanks for all your suggestions.     Now back to process of moving all the other ham software to the new computer.

73
Steve, N3FWE