APRS

Michael McNamara

I’m new to aprs. I’m using a ftm100de and  kantronics kpc-3 plus. My question is, what computer program should I use to configure the kpc-3, to use with aprs.

Fred Hillhouse

On the one I had, I used a terminal emulator. At the time I used HyperTerminal PE. Now I would use PuTTY.

Fred N7FMH

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael McNamara via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 1:53 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] APRS

I’m new to aprs. I’m using a ftm100de and  kantronics kpc-3 plus. My question is, what computer program should I use to configure the kpc-3, to use with aprs.

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Michael McNamara

Thank you Fred. I’ll give it a try.

Mike N3MRM

On Aug 6, 2020, at 1:58 PM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

On the one I had, I used a terminal emulator. At the time I used HyperTerminal PE. Now I would use PuTTY.

Fred N7FMH

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael McNamara via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2020 1:53 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] APRS

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Rob Giuliano

WELCOME!

I assume that since you are in this forum you are referring to using the KPC-3+ with APRSIS32.
There are 2 options fro working with the KPC3 and both are explained here:

Many people prefer to place the KPC-3+ in KISS mode outside of APRSIS32.  The KPC-3+ will stay in KISS mode even after resets and power cycles, so this works fine.  The above WIKI page explains how that is done.
This requires a terminal emulator (Like TeraTerm, PuTTY, or old Windows Hyperterminal) and the commands found in the KPC-3+ manual.

The alternative (and one really don't "need" any external computer applications) is to edit the APRSIS32.xml file OPEN commands to place the KPC-3+ in KISS mode when the application starts, and CLOSE to exit KISS when you exit APRSIS32.  This is also explained at the above WIKI link. 

Post back an issues or questions.

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

On Thursday, August 6, 2020, 1:52:50 PM EDT, Michael McNamara via groups.io <n3mrm@...> wrote: