Topics

Another program recommended for Windows 7?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Kenny, (Moving the off-topic post out of UI-View)

Glad the program works for you. You mentioned making "some more maps", but with APRSISCE/32 the maps are automatic. I've got a ToDo item to support user-created maps, but currently it will only display maps from OpenStreetMap.org. If you're going to be operating off-line, you can use "Screen / Map / Prefetch" to download a bunch of map tiles before going offline. See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch for more information.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

kb0npw wrote:

--- In ui-view@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

It doesn't do as much as UI-View (yet) nor does it support plug-ins, but it works well on Windows 7.
Lynn, I downloaded your software, and in less than 30 seconds, had it up and running with no issues. You have a great little gem there! I will definitely be playing with it some more, and attempting to find or make some more maps.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled UI-View32 about 5 times now, and never have gotten it to work. I've tried installing as administrator and as user. I've tried running it as administrator and as user. I've tweaked just about every setting under the properties for the shortcut, and nothing ever works. It's aggravating for sure.

Kenny

g4ilo

Lynn. Is there a reason why APRSISCE/32 could not support Google maps? Is it a technical thing or a licensing thing?

Julian, G4ILO

Kenny, (Moving the off-topic post out of UI-View)

Glad the program works for you. You mentioned making "some more maps",
but with APRSISCE/32 the maps are automatic. I've got a ToDo item to
support user-created maps, but currently it will only display maps from
OpenStreetMap.org.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

At least one, if not more, of the on-line map suppliers have
restrictions like "you cannot display GPS-originated data newer than 5
hours", or "you must include your developer ID in all map fetches"
coupled with "we'll cut you off after N map fetches unless you pony up
some serious $$$$". Oh, and some of them specifically exclude the right
to do any caching or offline viewing of their map data (see the next
paragraph for a possible reason for that one).

They also reserve the right to put "other things" on their map panels
that you are required to display and not allowed to remove. I'm
expecting advertising to begin to appear on the non-paying clients of
those maps. I'm really not interested in giving them more eyeballs for
their financial gain.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

g4ilo wrote:

Lynn. Is there a reason why APRSISCE/32 could not support Google maps? Is it a technical thing or a licensing thing?

Julian, G4ILO

Kenny, (Moving the off-topic post out of UI-View)

Glad the program works for you. You mentioned making "some more maps", but with APRSISCE/32 the maps are automatic. I've got a ToDo item to support user-created maps, but currently it will only display maps from OpenStreetMap.org.

David Shrum

Not trying to pic-nits, BUT, I did notice a slight change needed to make the
APRSISCE/32 Wiki read correctly. The difference is in "Screen / Map /
Prefetch" description; it still says, "View/Map/Prefetch".

Dave N8PU

Kenny, (Moving the off-topic post out of UI-View)

Glad the program works for you. You mentioned making "some more maps",
but with APRSISCE/32 the maps are automatic. I've got a ToDo item to
support user-created maps, but currently it will only display maps from
OpenStreetMap.org. If you're going to be operating off-line, you can
use "Screen / Map / Prefetch" to download a bunch of map tiles before
going offline. See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch for more
information.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

14:34:00

kb0npw <kenny@...>

Lynn, I am learning more and more with your program as I play around with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to set my home position correctly. I guess I can edit the xml file, because it put me in the wrong place, and I can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

The maps are cool. I have dialup, so it took me a bit to get a bunch of tiles downloaded. But the resolution is way better than anything I'm used to seeing with APRS.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm new with this so bear with me. Is this all internet based stuff that I am seeing or does the software actually use my TNC for RF stuff too?

Thanks and 73,

Kenny

kb0npw wrote:
--- In ui-view@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@> wrote:

You could try APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32. Join the Yahoo
Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/APRSISCE/

kb0npw wrote:
Lynn, I am learning more and more with your program as I play around with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to set my home position correctly. I guess I can edit the xml file, because it put me in the wrong place, and I can't seem to figure out how to correct it.
Editing the Lat/Lon in the XML file is the easiest way to fix it. Make sure the client is closed before editing or your changes will be lost. The lat/lon are in decimal degrees. I've got a ToDo item to make a way to set the current coordinate for non-GPS-enabled installations.

The maps are cool. I have dialup, so it took me a bit to get a bunch of tiles downloaded. But the resolution is way better than anything I'm used to seeing with APRS.
I've been pretty impressed with them for most areas of the world (yes, I routinely zoom in on where other people are running the client). There's a street behind my house that wasn't there, so I got the coordinates of the corners and added it! If you see something incorrect, just sign up for an account at OpenStreetMap.org and edit to your heart's content.

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm new with this so bear with me. Is this all internet based stuff that I am seeing or does the software actually use my TNC for RF stuff too?
APRSISCE/32 was originally written as an APRS-IS (Internet) client for Windows Mobile cellphones. It has since evolved into support KISS-interfaced TNCs, TEXT-mode TNCs, and AGW's Packet Engine sound card TNC (but receive-only currently). My plan is to continue evolving it and adding functionality as time and imagination permit.

Thanks and 73,

Kenny