I'm confused

Max Baker

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 02:50 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 02:26 PM, Max Becker wrote:
As stated, name is correct. For the APRS passcode, just do a google search with that phrase and you will find multiple sites that will give you a passcode immediately using your call sign.
Please do not promote the use of these websites for passcodes!
If you provide this service on your own website - PLEASE STOP and discourage others from using such services.

"We" are responsible to ensure "the system" is used by licensed operators and complies with all requirements.
That effort is only possible by following the instructions put forth by the APRS-IS network (http://www.aprs-is.net/connecting.aspx)
It clearly states :
     It is the responsibility of each software author to provide the proper passcode to their individual users.

This is the only way to integrity of the service and follow all regulations.

My bad!  < :-D

Rob Giuliano

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Correct, because the wiki describes BOTH platforms because they share a single common source.  If/when I get around to porting to 64 bit, the About and wiki might change to APRSISCE/32/64 just to add to the confusion!

On 10/29/2022 10:03 AM, Ben Miller wrote:

Here is why there is confusion...

Entire page is "APRSISCE/32"    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

"About" screen in the software...

Ben Miller

Here is why there is confusion...

Entire page is "APRSISCE/32"    http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

"About" screen in the software...

Lynn Deffenbaugh

There is no "APRSISCE32" and never was.  Here's the name history:

APRSISCE - Originally implemented for  WinCE aka Windows Mobile

APRSIS32 - Port of APRSIS32 to the Win32 API for desktop Windows

APRSISMO - Probable name of the upcoming MOAI-environment implementation (currently installs as "TestHost")

And there was consideration of other APRSIS-based names in the series like:

APRSIS64 - A 64 bit version of APRSIS32

APRSISAN - Android version
APRSISIO - iOS version
APRSISUX - Linux version

Those last three are actually rolled into the cross-platform-capable APRSISMO thanks to the MOAI (lua language) environment.

PS.   And for those that find the APRSIS* base name confusing, always remember to qualify WHICH APRSISxx you are talking about and don't abbreviate it to "APRSIS" which IS easily confused with "APRS-IS", the name of the backbone APRS network.

PPS.  And I'm not the only APRS author guilty of confusing naming when you consider aprs.fi the web site vs aprs.fi the iOS application by the same author!

On 10/28/2022 7:30 PM, z_ kevino wrote:

If I need a license for APRSIS32 running on windows 10, do I send an email requesting it for APRSISCE32? or since it is not running on Windows CE, it is just APRIS32? I may have messed up on my emails?

-Kevin (KK4YEL)

z_ kevino

thank you Ben

Ben Miller

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Can you provide a screen capture of where you think the name is incorrect?

On 10/28/2022 9:11 PM, Ben Miller wrote:

They changed the name but did not update the screen display in the software. There is only one program.

Ben Miller, PE retired
KD9BBB
708-431-7875

James Ewen

No, the name hasn’t changed. The program started out as APRSISCE for a Windows CE device. Lynn quickly saw that it could also run on Windows 32 without much trouble, hence the APRSISCE and APRSIS32 dual name.

Windows CE isn’t all that popular anymore, so you will not see APRSISCE running out in the wild a lot today.

APRSIS32 will also run on 64 bit architecture, so you are good for now.

Don’t confuse APRSISCE or APRSIS32 with APRS-IS… that’s something completely different.

--
James
VE6SRV

Ben Miller

They changed the name but did not update the screen display in the software. There is only one program.

Ben Miller, PE retired
KD9BBB
708-431-7875

James Ewen

The program has a confusing name, you are running the proper program.

To get your APRS-IS passcode, follow the instructions and send your request to the proper address.

The APRS-IS passcode is based off your callsign. If you have ever had one before, you already have it.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 18:14 z_ kevino <z_kevino@...> wrote:
thanks. I typed too quickly.
I'm confused because when I downloaded the app, I swore it was called APRSISCE32 but when I look at it running, I see only APRSIS32 in the title and task bar.
What I do need, however is the passcode so i could upload to the network, and this is what I was asking. I was reading that each software author is responsible for issuing passcodes. If I sent an email to the passcode at homeside account and I mistakenly called it the wrong s/w name, I didn't want to have it not work
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

--
James
VE6SRV

z_ kevino

thanks. I typed too quickly.
I'm confused because when I downloaded the app, I swore it was called APRSISCE32 but when I look at it running, I see only APRSIS32 in the title and task bar.
What I do need, however is the passcode so i could upload to the network, and this is what I was asking. I was reading that each software author is responsible for issuing passcodes. If I sent an email to the passcode at homeside account and I mistakenly called it the wrong s/w name, I didn't want to have it not work
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

James Ewen

There is no license required to run APRSISCE/32. It is freely available. Download the zip file and unzip it to an unprotected folder on your machine.

There is a verification passcode required to be able to authenticate to the APRS-IS network. That also is free.