Not receiving RF

Don Wolfe

I just reinstalled APRSIS32 and for some reason I'm not receiving any RF when internet access is disabled.
I can see signals being received on the radio as well as the TNC and hear signals in the radio using an aux
speaker. Nothing appears on the scroller or the map unless I enable the internet access,  I am however able
to see my car when I drive around the block.

I had been using a KPC-3 when this problem first occurred then switched to an MFJ 1270X but the problem
continues. Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn O'Connor

Rob Giuliano

The most common issues are the port settings, especially if you are using USB type devices.
You don't say which operating system, but I'll assume Windows (for APRSIS32), so double check the port (COM#) your device is attached to.  so you settings should be COM#,{baud},{parity},{data},{stop} in the APRSIS32.xml file

If you are using the MFJ1270X, then you should have created a Simply(KISS) port at the proper port settings (I think default is 19200,n,8,1 - at least that is what mine is set to).  The TNC-X is ALWAYS in KISS mode, so no need for <OpenCmd> or <CloseCmd> statements.

Someone else already pointed to the >Enable checkbox.

RF port section for my TNC-X:
<!--RFPort[0]-->
<RFPort Name="TNC-X">
<Protocol>Simply(KISS)</Protocol>
<Device>COM3:19200,N,8,1</Device>
<RfBaud>1200</RfBaud>
<OpenCmd>~!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>~!!0</CloseCmd>
<QuietTime>0</QuietTime>
<Enabled>1</Enabled>
<XmitEnabled>1</XmitEnabled>
<ProvidesNMEA>0</ProvidesNMEA>
<RFtoISEnabled>1</RFtoISEnabled>
<IStoRFEnabled>1</IStoRFEnabled>
<MyCallNot3rd>0</MyCallNot3rd>
<NoGateME>1</NoGateME>
<BeaconingEnabled>1</BeaconingEnabled>
<BeaconPath></BeaconPath>
<BulletinObjectEnabled>1</BulletinObjectEnabled>
<DXEnabled>1</DXEnabled>
<DXPath></DXPath>
<MessagesEnabled>1</MessagesEnabled>
<MessagePath></MessagePath>
<TelemetryEnabled>1</TelemetryEnabled>
<TelemetryPath></TelemetryPath>
<!--DigiXform-->
</RFPort>
<!--RFPort[0]-->

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 04:02:37 PM EDT, Don Wolfe via groups.io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

I just reinstalled APRSIS32 and for some reason I'm not receiving any RF when internet access is disabled.
I can see signals being received on the radio as well as the TNC and hear signals in the radio using an aux
speaker. Nothing appears on the scroller or the map unless I enable the internet access,  I am however able
to see my car when I drive around the block.

I had been using a KPC-3 when this problem first occurred then switched to an MFJ 1270X but the problem
continues. Any help would be appreciated.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You can bring up and enable the trace log called "Port(Radio)" via Enables / View Logs / Port(Radio) and then hitting the Enable menu option.   This may provide some visibility in to what is going worng (sic).

Given that you say it's a KISS device and the port is already configured as Simply(KISS) (I checked via ?igate), my guess is that the TNC is no longer in KISS mode and you'll see logs about missing 0x?? characters.

On 9/26/2022 4:01 PM, Don Wolfe via groups.io wrote:

I just reinstalled APRSIS32 and for some reason I'm not receiving any RF when internet access is disabled.
I can see signals being received on the radio as well as the TNC and hear signals in the radio using an aux
speaker. Nothing appears on the scroller or the map unless I enable the internet access,  I am however able
to see my car when I drive around the block.

I had been using a KPC-3 when this problem first occurred then switched to an MFJ 1270X but the problem
continues. Any help would be appreciated.

Don Wolfe

I'm sorry Lynn but I don't understand any of your instructions. The areas you wanted me to check don't follow the same
path you provided, you might be using thr development version while I'm running the standard version. I have changed
the tnc from USB to Serial but it hasn't changed anything, still no receive. I appreciate your efforts.

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 04:50:32 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Robert and thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm using APRISIS32. I did have the tnc connected via a USB cable but when it wasn't working
I switched to using a serial cable on port 1, 9600, n,8,1. I've used this program on several pc's and laptops over the years and this is the
first time I've ever had a problem. It's always worked with all of the defaults as they are. I'm really at a loss. I've used these to tnc's in the
past and never had any problems. I've deleated the program completely then reinstalled it and still nothing seems to help.
Again, I appreciate your help.

On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 04:22:54 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

[...]

So, do you have it working?

If not, please provide some details so that we can help.
   1) What TNC are you currently using?
   2) How is it connected to the computer?
       a) USB to serial adapter   b) direct serial cable to TNC c) Bluetooth   d) other
   3) What is "port 1" - are you referring to COM1?
        Windows typically uses COM# as the designation for serial ports, whether USB adapters or direct hardware ports?
   4) Are you sure the TNC is set to the same port settings as the computer?
   5) Can you paste the same XML section for your RFport as I did below.
       It should look something like this:
<!--RFPort[0]-->
<RFPort Name="TNC-X">
<Protocol>Simply(KISS)</Protocol>
<Device>COM1:9600,N,8,1</Device>

On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 04:05:08 PM EDT, Don Wolfe via groups.io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert,
  With Hurrican Ian almost on my doorstep I don't have much time to think about radio problems but here's
one thing I've learned. I loaded PinPoint APRS program and am having the same problems as I did with
APRSIS32. When I have time I'll look at your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again for your help.

On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 05:25:39 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

[...]

Stay SAFE!!!

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 06:16:57 AM EDT, Don Wolfe via groups.io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

[...]

Max Becker

I think Robert touched on this already, so maybe OBE.  I was having similar issues with my KPC-3 and it turned out to be a KISS/SIMPLY KISS issue.  I set the KPC-3 in KISS mode and unbeknownst to me APRSIS32 was switching me out of KISS into TERMINAL mode every startup.  My solution was to set APRSIS32 for SIMPLYKISS, then I switched the KPC-3 into KISS mode and left it there.  Never had a problem since.

And I'm west of you in EL89.  Just rain so far from the hurricane, but winds are supposed to pick up this evening.  I think we'll just get a glancing blow in our neighborhood.  Best of luck!

Max

Rob Giuliano

I know Don is protecting his family and property but for the record, I suggest sticking with the "simple" TNC-X (MFJ1270X).
Then your only worry is the baud rate (jumper settings inside cover) and which port it is connected to.
   Oh, and make sure you don't have any TNC-X add-on boards.
For the baud rate setting, I suggest JP1 OFF and JP2 ON for 9600 baud.

If you have the USB board for the MFJ-1270X, then you need to make sure the Virtual COMM port setting is available.

Beyond that, you need to make sure ONLY the APRSIS32 app is trying to access the TNC (no TeraTermPro, PuTTY, or other application).

Rob KB8RCO

Don Wolfe

Max,
 You may have hit the nail on the head on both counts. The KPC has alway been rock solid and I was
surprised when it messed up. Robert is on top of it also. Right now I'm wornout from watching nothing
but weather updates that haven't changed in the last 12 hours. I'm gonna fix myself a good Scotch and
watch a movie. The eye should be here sometime early in the morning.

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 02:27:47 PM EDT, Max Becker <maxheadspace@...> wrote:

I think Robert touched on this already, so maybe OBE.  I was having similar issues with my KPC-3 and it turned out to be a KISS/SIMPLY KISS issue.  I set the KPC-3 in KISS mode and unbeknownst to me APRSIS32 was switching me out of KISS into TERMINAL mode every startup.  My solution was to set APRSIS32 for SIMPLYKISS, then I switched the KPC-3 into KISS mode and left it there.  Never had a problem since.

And I'm west of you in EL89.  Just rain so far from the hurricane, but winds are supposed to pick up this evening.  I think we'll just get a glancing blow in our neighborhood.  Best of luck!

Max

Fred Hillhouse

You will probably need to connect to the TNC using a terminal emulator. If I remember correctly, type KISS ON at the command prompt. The TNC will be in KISS mode until some other strangeness occurs.

Fred N7FMH

 You may have hit the nail on the head on both counts. The KPC has alway been rock solid and I was

surprised when it messed up. Robert is on top of it also. Right now I'm wornout from watching nothing

but weather updates that haven't changed in the last 12 hours. I'm gonna fix myself a good Scotch and

watch a movie. The eye should be here sometime early in the morning.

73, Don

W4GCW

EL98pf

Where am I? Click link below.

https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 02:27:47 PM EDT, Max Becker <maxheadspace@...> wrote:

I think Robert touched on this already, so maybe OBE.  I was having similar issues with my KPC-3 and it turned out to be a KISS/SIMPLY KISS issue.  I set the KPC-3 in KISS mode and unbeknownst to me APRSIS32 was switching me out of KISS into TERMINAL mode every startup.  My solution was to set APRSIS32 for SIMPLYKISS, then I switched the KPC-3 into KISS mode and left it there.  Never had a problem since.

And I'm west of you in EL89.  Just rain so far from the hurricane, but winds are supposed to pick up this evening.  I think we'll just get a glancing blow in our neighborhood.  Best of luck!

Max

Don Wolfe

Finally! I kept trying everthing and now have it working again. I want to thank both of you guys for your thoughts to help me.

We didn't get any damage from the storm, only a few broken limbs. Never lost power or water or even satellite tv. We were extremely
lucky.

On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 02:53:38 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

I know Don is protecting his family and property but for the record, I suggest sticking with the "simple" TNC-X (MFJ1270X).
Then your only worry is the baud rate (jumper settings inside cover) and which port it is connected to.
   Oh, and make sure you don't have any TNC-X add-on boards.
For the baud rate setting, I suggest JP1 OFF and JP2 ON for 9600 baud.

If you have the USB board for the MFJ-1270X, then you need to make sure the Virtual COMM port setting is available.

Beyond that, you need to make sure ONLY the APRSIS32 app is trying to access the TNC (no TeraTermPro, PuTTY, or other application).

Rob KB8RCO

bobsayers2000

I'm sure we all hope those limbs were only tree ones, Don!

Bob, G8IYK

NNNN

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 at 11:46, Don Wolfe via groups.io
<w4gcw@...> wrote:
[...]

Glad you weathered the storm!
And that you got APRSIS32 working.