IC-9700 TX, any success?

K9WBT/Bruce

Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Does the IC-9700 have an internal TNC?   Or what are you interfacing it with?  Please describe all the pieces-parts of your setup.

On 9/12/2022 6:50 PM, K9WBT/Bruce wrote:

Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

Rob Giuliano

So you are unable to get APRSIS32 to put the IC-9700 into TX.

You will need to give a LOT more information than just the radio model.
 A quick glance at the IC-9700 model shows a few connections
   USB - assume built in sound card.
   ACC - requires an external TNC or external sound card
   LAN - says AF or IF data

I do not own one, but in almost every case, the issue is related to how the radio gets the PTT command.   APRSIS32 does not handle PTT, the TNC handles that.

What TNC are you using?
 Example: are you using a software TNC like Direwolf, UZ7HO, AGWps, or the like through the USB port?

On Monday, September 12, 2022 at 08:58:25 PM EDT, K9WBT/Bruce <k9wbt.ham@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

Randall Wilkinson

I use Direwolf, and rts to send. In the menu touch "send", then "connectors". Choose "rts". One caution, if you use HRD, it causes the 9700 to lock in xmit if you don't turn rts off. At least on my set up.
Randy, K9ANF

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022, 8:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Does the IC-9700 have an internal TNC?   Or what are you interfacing it with?  Please describe all the pieces-parts of your setup.

On 9/12/2022 6:50 PM, K9WBT/Bruce wrote:
Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

Randall Wilkinson

I meant touch set, then connectors. Stupid auto correct.
Randy

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022, 8:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Does the IC-9700 have an internal TNC?   Or what are you interfacing it with?  Please describe all the pieces-parts of your setup.

On 9/12/2022 6:50 PM, K9WBT/Bruce wrote:
Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

K9WBT/Bruce

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 08:20 PM, Rob Giuliano wrote:
This is all new to me.  Thank you for responding.
I am connected to the 9700 via Lan.  The UZ7HO TNC grabs the audio input and output from the icom virtual audio codecs.  I tried set the com ports both ways, in the UZ7HO TNC and in the APRSCE software.  Nothing triggers the radio to transmit. On the radio, I tried USB and LAN, for data input MOD...nothing works.

I get good decode on receive, however.  I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

Thank you.

Rob Giuliano

Check you HRD port setting for flow control and interfsce power.  That is most likely the cause of the PTT.  It might take a ciuple of tries to find the corrdct settings to prevent the PTT sticking  but should be 'fixable'.

Rob KB8RCO

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 21:26, Randall Wilkinson
<randallj5610@...> wrote:
I use Direwolf, and rts to send. In the menu touch "send", then "connectors". Choose "rts". One caution, if you use HRD, it causes the 9700 to lock in xmit if you don't turn rts off. At least on my set up.
Randy, K9ANF

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022, 8:13 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Does the IC-9700 have an internal TNC?   Or what are you interfacing it with?  Please describe all the pieces-parts of your setup.

On 9/12/2022 6:50 PM, K9WBT/Bruce wrote:
Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

Don Poaps

I use UZ7HO to PTT my IC 7100. In it, you have to download PTT.Zip which has 2 files, PTT and Cat. In the PTT menu, I point to the Icom USB port and set up the baud of the radio.  IC 9700 should be just about the same. I also make sure port 8000 matches the setting in APRSIS.

I'm not up on Dierwolf.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 6:33 PM Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I will give this a look. Thank you Don.

K9WBT/Bruce

I should have dug deeper into the manual.  Thank you everyone for the responses.

Don, that was the solution!!! The 9700 is now a fully functioning APRS iGate/Digipeater!!

George Boarman

I don't think that the IC-9700 supports APRS

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:01 PM K9WBT/Bruce <K9WBT.HAM@...> wrote:
I should have dug deeper into the manual.  Thank you everyone for the responses.

Don, that was the solution!!! The 9700 is now a fully functioning APRS iGate/Digipeater!!

Don Poaps

If the radio is an Icom. The USB driver does Cat PTT using the UZ7HO PTT.Zip file.  In UZ7HO you show the Icom USB codec. This must be chosen to show the APRS on the waterfall/print of the 144.390 stations. This data is somehow imported into APRSIS via configure localhost port 8000.

The IC 9700 uses IC-7100/IC-7200/IC-7300/IC-7410/IC-7600/IC-7610/IC-7850/IC-7851/IC-9100/IC-9700/IC-R8600 | Firmware / Software | Support | Icom Inc. (icomjapan.com) the same driver as my IC 7100. The same setting I do with IC 7100 will work for IC 9700 using

ptt-dll.zip
30-Oct-19 22:39247.22K
soundmodem114.zip09-Jun-22 06:18465.62K

You have to make sure ptt-dll.zip is extracted into the same director where UZ7HO is extracted.

image.png

I hope this helps anyone with the Icom Sound card radio.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 7:53 PM K9WBT/Bruce <K9WBT.HAM@...> wrote:
Well, I spoke too soon...

The APRS signal doesn't transmit...  In short, I have TX, no audio.  When I switch to the PC speakers you hear the APRS tone...when I switch it back to the IC-9700 audio codec, nothing.

Thanks again.

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

You need to use a CIV Cable to key the 9700, if you are using the USB sound card in the radio. I have the 7100 and in order to use it with UISS, I had to use the CIV Cable in Data Port 2 to key the radio. Could be similar.
Jack L. Blake

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:58 PM K9WBT/Bruce <K9WBT.HAM@...> wrote:
Hello everyone.  I am just curious if anyone has successfully gotten an IC-9700 to digipeat and TX on RF?  I can only seem to receive and decode with it.

Thank you!!

K9WBT/Bruce

Seeminly, everything works.  I'm hearing the aprs tone TX from the 9700 on PTT however the D74 isn't decoding it.

So close though.  I'm guessing it will be something that can be tweaked in the UZ7HO soundmodem.

Don Poaps

1:Fm LDYSMH To TYPQQR Via SRRY39*,WIDE2* <UI R Pid=F0 Len=41> [20:58:42R] [++-]
'3MDl #/"5p}VE7LSE  12.9V Ladysmith Digi
1:Fm VA7DGP To APWW11 Via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI C Pid=F0 Len=44> [20:58:50T]
@035830h4912.04N/12257.23WlAPRS-IS for Win32
1:Fm VA7DGP To APWW11 Via WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 <UI C Pid=F0 Len=44> [20:58:50T]
@035836h4912.04N/12257.23WlAPRS-IS for Win3

I'm using APRSIS 32

image.png

This is using AWG setting in the Aprsis program. The secret is the advanced menu setting in Uz7ho and points to the comport using cat for the Ptt menu.

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...

ALLSTAR  530780
Hamshack Hotline
5971
Mid-Island Phone Mesh
2210
2232

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 8:47 PM K9WBT/Bruce <K9WBT.HAM@...> wrote:
Seeminly, everything works.  I'm hearing the aprs tone TX from the 9700 on PTT however the D74 isn't decoding it.

So close though.  I'm guessing it will be something that can be tweaked in the UZ7HO soundmodem.

K9WBT/Bruce

Good morning all.

Here's where I am at.  the 9700 receives APRS flawlessly using the UZ7HO soundmodem and APRSIS. Thanks to Don, I also now have TX working on the 9700 using cat control with the PTT/CAT DLL files.

I fiddled with the modem settings and now today it is working perfectly!!  I think the FX25 mode defaulted to RX only.  Once it set it to RX+TX, all worked.  Thank you everyone for your input.  The 9700 will make a great fill in digipeater in my area  when I am not using it for nets & 2m FT8.

Screen shot of UZ7HO soundmodem settings for the 9700 and my D74 decode.

Don Poaps

I got this info from the Winlink Group. I couldn't figure out why I could not TX. It was one of the gurus who told me about the PTT zip file. I've used this setup for all of my programs other than MMSSTV.

Glad you got APRSIS working.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC