Message = "Special"

I keep receiving, in the upper right hand corner, messages and when I click on them to read the content it says "Transmitted Special".  What is that and is there any way to supress just the "Special" messages?
A screen shot is attached.  Thanks!

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Configure / Mic-E Notifications, and uncheck Special.  You may also want to uncheck Priority as there are (thankfully fewer) folks out there transmitting that status as well.

You may also want to read: http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt

On 8/16/2022 8:55 AM, AB9NN - Jon Kreski wrote:

I keep receiving, in the upper right hand corner, messages and when I click on them to read the content it says "Transmitted Special".  What is that and is there any way to supress just the "Special" messages?
A screen shot is attached.  Thanks!

Adam Mahnke

Under the configure menu there is an option for "Mic-E" Messages

On this station I have them all suppressed as it is an unattended Digi/iGate

Adam
KC2ANT

image.png

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 8:55 AM AB9NN - Jon Kreski <jkreski@...> wrote:
I keep receiving, in the upper right hand corner, messages and when I click on them to read the content it says "Transmitted Special".  What is that and is there any way to supress just the "Special" messages?
A screen shot is attached.  Thanks!

Rob Giuliano

> What is that ...
Within the Mic-E standard are message "Notifications" or emergency codes (see: http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt).  With certain notifications, the APRS client is "instructed" to take certain action (according to the specification).
In the original APRS, these bits were to trigger these on-receipt-

 SPECIAL  - would CENTER the map on the symbol
 PRIORITY - would CENTER and ZOOM to 8 mile local range scale
 EMERGENCY- CENTER and ZOOM and ALARM beeps until cleared by operator.
> ... is there any way to suppress just the "Special" messages?
Yes -> From the menu >Configure >Mic-E Notifications
   Choose the level you want.  Most people check "Suppress Notifications"
   but leave "Suppress EMERGENCY too" unchecked