8329mph ESE Tag

KD7YZ Bob

In the lower-right quadrant of the screenshot is a local Igate/Digipeater, KG4DVE-1 .

underneath the 146.94 TR object is " 8329mph ESE" .

Occasionally I see something similar at his station, on the map. 3000, 5000-ish and so forth.

I looked on your wiki screen docs page as you'd posted in my last question, but I see nothing similar.

I don't know is the following link is germane=, but it does have a few red-font lines in it

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KG4DVE-1&limit=500&view=normal

Otherwise what is the meaning of the 8329mph and who generated it please ?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you click on the station and select the top menu option to bring up the station information box, you'll be able to see the source of the speed and heading values.  Likely that the object is transmitting very quick packets with slight changes in location which calculates out to that very large speed.

The speed is actually on the 146.94-TR object, not the KG4DVE-1 station.

And the pop-up information on that station says (at least, right now):

146.94-TR via KG4DVE+
r146.940MHz T107 R25m KG4DVE/R
Freq: 146.940MHz *NoFTM-350*
Sym: Digi (/#)
App: PLX Digi/Tracker (06)
1059/1344 black Tracks (63Kb) 1058 Bad!
I: 44 68 46 36 42 34 31 39
FromME: 1938mi NW (317º)
GridSquare: DN66cf
4613.07N 10748.90W
Calc: 0mph Avg: 5492mph
Time: 00-23 11:47:00z
2021-11-23 11:47:09 (4m39s)
KG4DVE-1->TCPIP*
TCP RemRF

Notice the Tracks line?  Those 1058 BAD points out of 1344 indicate that likely the object is ping-ponging between two locations, I'm guessing because it is transmitted by two different originating stations.

2021-11-23 06:52:09 EST: KG4DVE-1>APMI06,TCPIP*,qAS,KG4DVE:;146.94-TR*231152z3823.22N/08239.75W#r146.940MHz T107 R25m KG4DVE/R

So that's one of the packets, but you'll notice that my popup information shows it at "4613.07N 10748.90W" which is NOT what this packet says.  I haven't yet captured where the 46/107 coordinate is coming from, but it puts the repeater object NE of Billings Montana.

Having seen no other station transmitting this object ID in the past 30 minutes, I remembered that this can also happen when packets get concatenated or otherwise mangled on their way into and through the APRS-IS network.  While I cannot detail the source of the different coordinates, I can state that it is likely two coordinates for the same object ID that is causing the excessive speed to be displayed.

On 11/23/2021 5:21 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
In the lower-right quadrant of the screenshot is a local Igate/Digipeater, KG4DVE-1 .

underneath the 146.94 TR object is " 8329mph ESE" .

Occasionally I see something similar at his station, on the map. 3000, 5000-ish and so forth.

I looked on your wiki screen docs page as you'd posted in my last question, but I see nothing similar.

I don't know is the following link is germane=, but it does have a few red-font lines in it

https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KG4DVE-1&limit=500&view=normal

Otherwise what is the meaning of the 8329mph and who generated it please ?

KD7YZ Bob

Thanks Mr. Lynn ! Great lesson.

" I remembered that this can also happen when packets get concatenated or otherwise mangled on their way into and through the APRS-IS network."

THAT "may" explain why sometimes UISS Map-View shows my D710GA located up in the same place in Ontario CA and sometimes my friend KO4JBA is located in Kansas.

Now, in my case, my Longitude is always correct while my Lat. is circa 49Deg N.

Tom's Lat. is FB while his Longitude is no good.

But I look on APRSIS32 and it seems we are OK.

" KG4DVE-1>APMI06,TCPIP* ....">APMI06 " ... that API06 ...

and in my case

"KD7YZ-1 To DI2Y6X Via KG4DVE-1 ....." the "DI2Y6X" , how is that encoded? or maybe what encodes it ?

along with the compressed Lat/Lon

`oY%l*-/]"6h}= from mine.

Sometimes I put out a Lat/Lon and sometimes compressed.

APRSIS32 has Beaconing ON

that "AP

KD7YZ Bob

and this beacon,

1:Fm KD7YZ-1 To DI2Y6W Via KG4DVE-1,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1 <UI pid=F0 Len=16 >[11:37:01]
`oYl -/]"6h}=

just flagged me as Ontario Canada