Connecting APRSIS32 to APRX or DIXPRS

Rob Giuliano

Thanks for the clarification.  I was actually thinking that APRX 'listened' and when APRSIS32 tried to connect, it would do so.  But as usual, you are correct.  Neither does.

You can connect from APRX to APRSIS32 through as the APRSIS32 local-server.
  I have never looked at whether APRX can have more than 1 APRS-IS server configuration.
  I tried it.  I didn't get an error, but it appears it only connects to the first instance.

The other WRT54 application I was using at the time was 'ldsped' by ON7LDS
It is somewhere between AGW and APRX in that it includes AGW ports for remote connections to TNCs. I think it was a little more difficult to get setup, but that must have been what I used.
I think I read there was a version for the Pi.  I am not sure if it is still in development, but the page was still active.

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 1:22:29 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

APRSISCE/32 does not accept incoming connections from TNCs or other external devices.  APRSISCE/32 expects the device to be listening for an incoming connection that APRSISCE/32 will initiate.

On 2/19/2021 12:19 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
The last time I used APRX was with my WRT54, so it is a bit rusty.

First, you want Simply(KISS) in APRSIS32 because you will not need any <OpenCmd> or <ClosseCmd> commands for this port configuration.
  The other ports (KISS and radio specific) have defined information that is sent to properly initialize the TNC.

Your interface is trying to connect to itself (localhost).
I am pretty sure you want that interface to connect to APRSIS32.

# This port tries to connect to your APRSIS32 application - assumed on another computer.
# I am not sure what APRX will do if that application (port) is not open.  I assume wait for it.
<interface>
      tcp-device   {APRSIS32 IP} 8100    KISS
      callsign     iw2ejh-14
      tx-ok true
</interface>

# This port connects to your TNC2 - assumed already functioning.
<interface>
      serial-device {device settings per APRX manual}
      callsign     iw2ejh-1        {for referencing below, use your current settings}
      {All your related settings for the TNC2 ??}
</interface>

# Send all received packets from TNC2 to APRSIS32
<digipeater>
      transmitter iw2ejh-1
      <source>
            source iw2ejh-14
      </source>
</digipeater>

# Send all received packets (according to the port configuration) from APRSIS32 to TNC2
<digipeater>
      transmitter iw2ejh-14
      <source>
            source iw2ejh-1
      </source>
</digipeater>

I am pretty sure that was how I had it working on my WRT54.  I tried to find copies of my old aprx.conf files from back then, but I am sure they are long gone.

MARINO MELONI

Rob,

I thought I had to create a port in APRX that was accessible to any Kiss client, that is why I created it with localhost, and I also tried with the IP of APRX host. Now, following your suggestion, I also tested putting the IP address of the APRSIS32 host, but the result is the same, sames errors appear.

Lynn,

So If I well understand, APRX is not listening on that port what APRSISCE/32 is sending to initiate two way communication.

My question to all now is:
- Do I well understand that I cannot use APRSISCE/32 to communicate with a remote TNC running as digi and gateway (I know that I can connect it probably using SOCAT or similar, but at that point it will be a one to one connection and it will not gate directly any data)

- Do someone know how can I connect remotely from a pc running APRSISCE/32 to a TNC2 connected to a sw that run as digi/igate?

I'm pretty sure years ago I did it, unfortunately I cannot remember that I used to reach this result. I hope someone did it and may help.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

[...]

Thanks Robert for reviewing my question.

I want to configure APRX using the second option. basically I would like aprx to be used like direwolf, presenting two host ports for remote connection (and yes, actually I am connected to direwolf with that method, but what I need is to connect to the TNC2 that is interconnect with aprx.)
I did some test, configuring aprx as below and creating a simplykiss port in aprsis32 (I also tested a pure kiss port but similar results) and there is no connection betweem the two ports. It seems aprx is not creating a port in host mode, and aprsis32 get no answers to it requests

aprx.conf

# my test with aprsis32 I/O port
<interface>
      tcp-device   localhost 8100    KISS
      callsign     iw2ejh-14
      tx-ok true
</interface>

APRX error log

socket connect() preparing: tcp!192.168.1.71!4100!
2021-02-19 11:08:31.531 TTY tcp!192.168.1.71!4100! EOF - CLOSED, WAITING 30 SECS

APRSIS32 port log

Port(__aprx__kiss):2021-02-19T12:38:09.415 Restarting Reader...
Port(__aprx__kiss):2021-02-19T12:38:09.415 TcpReader Running on @192.168.1.71 or 192.168.1.71:4100 (1 OpenCmds, 1 CloseCmds)
Port(__aprx__kiss):2021-02-19T12:38:11.420 connect errno 10061
Port(__aprx__kiss):2021-02-19T12:38:11.420 connect(@192.168.1.71) Failed
Port(__aprx__kiss):2021-02-19T12:38:11.420 Delaying Restart for 17994/20000 msec

Rob Giuliano

I haven't seen a reply yet, so I'll give it a shot.

I am not familiar with DIXPRS, but APRX will interface with APRSIS32 through either an AGW port or KISS over TCP port.  They key is for each application to have a single device (TNC) attached to it.

OPTION 1:
If APRSIS32 will be available all the time and have internet access, you can set APRSIS32 as a 'local APRS Server" and have APRX and/or DIXPRS connect to them as if APRSIS32 is just like noam.aprs2.net.  APRSIS32 would then forward the infomration to its APRS-IS server and all should work - as long as APRSIS32 is running and has access to both sides.

OPTION 2:
Configure each as a KISS/TCP port

>>> For APRX it is something like:
   <interface>
      tcp-device    {IP and port of the APRSIS32 configuration}
       callsign        {call}-{ssid}
       tx-ok            true
   </interface>
Then in APRSIS32 configure a Simply(KISS) port set over TCP and point to the IP of this device.

>>> For Direwolf -> uncomment one or both of the interfaces:
        AGWPORT 8000
        KISSPORT 8001
Then in APRSIS32 configure a Simply(KISS) port set over TCP and point to the IP of this device, or an AGW port withe IP and port of this device

>>> For DIXPRS -> couldn't find any info on KISS over TCP.
I didn't see infomration on configuring either KISS over TCP or AGW.

 I hope this helps.

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 9:07:00 AM EST, MARINO MELONI via groups.io <iw2ejh@...> wrote:

Good day to all

In the past I use to run APRSIS32 24/7 on an old laptop and I interfaced it with several TNC, virtual (Direwolf) and real (TNC2) everything was configured along the years and was running fine. Several years ago, after the laptop died, I replaced everything with a couple of Raspberry pi. Actually I'm running APRX and DIXPRS on these, with actually two ports, one connected to Direwolf, and one using the TNC2 in Kiss mode.
My goal now is to use aprsis32 from my laptop in another room to connect remotely to one of these two programs in order to be able to have access to the APRS network.
I know in the past I was able to run several different computers around my house and was able di interconnect everything, sending/receiving messages from every pc, but now after several years, I do not remember if I had to configure in a particular way APRX, or DIXPRS or if I installed another software to share the TNC access between several devices around the house. (I'm getting old, and I'm loosing memory).
I tried to search in the group, but I didn't found a clear answer how to reach the goal.
I hope someone can help me to connect aprsis32  via TCP/IP one of my TNC via some of the software I'm running.
Thanks
IW2EJH
Marino

MARINO MELONI