Transmitting through APRRSISC32

Justin Cherington

It is annoying that it is output only without an external TNC/interface. And Yaesu is well known for ignoring suggestions and complaints. They still haven’t fixed the bug where duplicate packets result in a chime you can’t mute, they forgot to include it in the aprs chime on/off menu settings.

with that being said, at least they do support aprs, unlike Icom. My TNC3 is awesome and the BT function means I probably would have purchased it anyway.

Rob Giuliano

The FTM400 does have the audio I/O and PTT on the 10-pin connector for an external TNC (or sound card variation).

I think the worse part of all of this is that the reviews (such as the ARRL review in QST) don't make that point clear.  I do not know of anyone who has purchased a Yaesu "APRS radio" who was not surprised to find out that it required an external TNC of some sort in order to fully use the APRS function with an attched computer.  Most I know said something about readin reviews on the radio and buying it from that infomration, only to find this severely lacking feature.

PS: IMHO - Yaesu is still takng advantage of these and not making any effort to satify their customers.  There is no doubt they have recived complaints, and yet they are still making new models with the same configuration.  That attitude has really turned me off from Yaesu products.

On Sunday, August 9, 2020, 5:22:20 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Note: The following is based on my direct knowledge of the FTM-350.  I have not heard anything to the contrary for the FTM-400.

What you are doing wrong is that you are using a Yeasu APRS radio.  Yaesu, in their infinite wisdom, does not allow transmitting from outside the unit.  It will only transmit what it internally generates.  Even their protocol for passing decoded packets out the serial port is not quite the same as all other APRS radios before it.

If you want to transmit, by Yeasu's own documentation, you must hook up an external TNC and completely ignore the APRS capabilities of the radio itself.

PS.  I just quick-scanned the FTM-400 documentation and I didn't even see how to connect an external TNC to that model.

On 8/9/2020 3:23 PM, Sean Rafferty wrote:
I am unable to transmit through the program. When I look at CONFIGURE>PORTS>FTM-400(the radio I am using) Xmit Enable is not checked. Even if I check it it will not stay checked, when I look again, it is still not checked.
What am I doing wrong?

Greg Depew

The only way I've gotten my 350 to work is to use a signallink and sound card Tnc or an external Tnc like TT4. I would assume as I don't have the cable for the 400 that you would have to do the same.  It's a pain but it works. And if you go the sound card route you now have the capability for other sound card modes like FL Digi.

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone