Passcode request for KI6HHJ

Rob Giuliano

With all this discussion, I decided to "give-it-a-go".
I am following the instructions from https://www.novaspirit.com/2019/04/15/run-x86-arm/
  (instructions, I don't watch video - I'd rather read).

I did change "stretch" to "buster" to get the latest raspian version (4.19.127 is showing).
This will take a little experimenting, but I'll let you know how it goes.

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 8:21:36 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Ah, that's the subject of this whole (wrongly subjected) thread!  Here I was hoping that you already had it up and running and we were all going to ask you how you managed it!

On 6/25/2020 8:14 PM, Don Poaps wrote:
I would love to use if I knew how to make it work.

73

Don

On Thu., Jun. 25, 2020, 4:17 p.m. Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Is that "I love to USE" or "I WOULD love to use"?  Do you have it up on a PI currently?

On 6/25/2020 1:43 PM, Don Poaps wrote:
I love to use APRISCE on a PI. The maps that are used are really good.

73
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:26 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I did attempt to get MOAI/APRSISMO running on a Pi over a year ago, but at that time the windowing layer that MOAI used wasn't properly detecting and/or using the native video chip in the Pi, so it was falling back to X which was EXTREMELY SLOW....  I tried to figure it out but gave up.

So maybe by now the lower layers have caught up and I should give that another shot.  It won't be APRSIS32, at least not until I get most of the remainder of the features ported over!

Oh, and it won't have MutliTrack in any case because the entire MOAI GUI interface is single window, even under Windows.

On 6/25/2020 11:54 AM, Greg D wrote:
It might be easier to get the Android version to run on a Pi.  Both ARM, and both Linux.  Just missing the Android API.  Has anyone written such for the Pi?  This looks promising...  https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/android-raspberry-pi

Greg  KO6TH

Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
The Pi4 is definitely a much more powerful processor (4 cores at 1.5GHz) with more RAM (now up to 8GB with some fancy 32-bit paging).

However, the Pi is an ARM processor and APRSIS32 is compiled for the x86 processors.  Since WINE is typically run in a Linux environment also on x86 processors, it doesn't translate across the processors.  It mostly translates to the host OS. There was a version of WINE for the PI, but there are so few apps compiled for the Pi processor, that it created high expectations that it couldn't deliver on.

Exagear was a true "emulator" that allowed the x86 code to run on the Pi's processor.  However, the processor in the Pi4 made so many drastic changes to key things like hardware I/O addressing and even memory addressing, it has been hard for Exagear to catch up.  It looks like they gave up in February.

There is a newer 'custom' version of WINE for the Pi that does a much better job, but it requires a customer Kernel and some modifications to the WINE configuration.  I think it requires some custom QEMU settings as well. There are a few YouTube videos if you search on "WINE on the Pi4".

Good luck - report back if you actually get it running!

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 10:16:45 AM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I don't know if the newest Pis have enough power to do it reasonably well, but APRSIS32 runs under WINE and I believe you can put WINE on a Pi.

On 6/25/2020 9:03 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
Mike,
I am posting your Pi question to the main group.
Of course APRSIS32 is a Windows application for x86 processors.
I do not know of anyone running this on a Pi

I know some who use the Pi as the pseudo TNC (soundcard or direct connect a hardware TNC) then send the data to a Windows PC over TCP/IP.

PS:  Passcode sent off list.

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 2:54:25 AM EDT, Mike Hollibaugh <mhollibaugh@...> wrote:

Good evening, I am very excited to use your software,

I would like to use APRSSI32 and I am hoping to obtain a passcode.

My name is Michael L Hollibaugh and my callsign is KI6HHJ.

I can be found on aprs.fi using the SSID's of KI6HHJ-1 and KI6HHJ-2:

Thank you for your assistance and please let me know if you have any questions,

Mike

PS: being that Exagear's emulator is no longer available, do you have
any other recommendations to install your application on a Raspberry
Pi 4, 4G without a Windows environment?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

[...]

Greg D