From: <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of "Charles Jessee via groups.io" <cbjesseeNH@...>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM
To: "APRSISCE@groups.io" <APRSISCE@groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [APRSISCE] Configure APRSIS32 for Kenwood TM-D710GA as Mobile

I’m just looking to switch from a Yaesu FTM-400 to a Kenwood TM-D7100GA and looking at the Wiki: “ How can you configure APRSISCE/32 to run in APRS mode without usurping control from the Kenwood TM-D710 radio? Well, you really can't if you expect APRSISCE/32 to ever transmit because on the first transmission, MYCALL will be set which changes the D710's identity until it's next TNC reset. However, if you avoid messaging from APRSISCE/32 (or even receiving a message to which an ack must be sent), the following might work for you.“

This seems to suggest that if one gives up major functionality APRSIS32 can work with a TM-710GA. What’s the upside for accepting this downside? If sure I’m missing something...

Bret/N4SRN

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of USU. If this appears to be a USU employee, beware of impersonators. Do not click links, reply, download images, or open attachments unless you verify the sender’s identity and know the content is safe.

Gary 2200E N6GLS

Yes, I use my D710G all the time for APRSIS32 and Winlink.  Keep my cable in all the time and just bring my laptop and plug in.
73 de Gary N6GLS

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

  1. Basically your putting the D710G in kiss mode, meaning the model is dumb and APRSIS32 is doing all the work, encode and decode.  The advantage you get with the D710G is that you can actually use the modem in the radio and access it. For example you can do winlink with it, without any other TNC in packet mode on the D710.  You can not access the TNC in the FTM-400 or any Yaesu radios other than to get data out of the radio.

Kevin

N7RXE

From: <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of "Charles Jessee via groups.io" <cbjesseeNH@...>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM
To: "APRSISCE@groups.io" <APRSISCE@groups.io>

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

And what port type are you using in APRSIS32 for your D710?  It it KISS or APRS?

From: <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of "Charles Jessee via groups.io" <cbjesseeNH@...>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 4:05 PM
To: "APRSISCE@groups.io" <APRSISCE@groups.io>

[...]

Charles Jessee

Hi Lynn - I tried this to create the KWD710(APRS) and KWD710(PKT) ports on APRSISCE and am running it on the APRS port now.
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/groupsioattachments/13949/33145978/13259/0?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJECNKOVMCCU3ATNQ&Expires=1592933888&Signature=F%2Bi18GpC0tZ6vgSvV3xje48u7WI%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3D%22D710+APRSIS32+Set+up+full.pdf%22
What are the advantages/disadvantages of this configuration?
BRET/N4SRN

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Have you read the following page on the Wiki?

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

On 6/23/2020 3:57 PM, Charles Jessee wrote:
Hi Lynn - I tried this to create the KWD710(APRS) and KWD710(PKT) ports on APRSISCE and am running it on the APRS port now.
https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/groupsioattachments/13949/33145978/13259/0?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJECNKOVMCCU3ATNQ&Expires=1592933888&Signature=F%2Bi18GpC0tZ6vgSvV3xje48u7WI%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3D%22D710+APRSIS32+Set+up+full.pdf%22
What are the advantages/disadvantages of this configuration?
BRET/N4SRN

Charles Jessee

Hi Lynn - I did. What has me wondering is the stuff at the bottom:

 How can you configure APRSISCE/32 to run in APRS mode without usurping control from the Kenwood TM-D710 radio? Well, you really can't if you expect APRSISCE/32 to ever transmit because on the first transmission, MYCALL will be set which changes the D710's identity until it's next TNC reset. However, if you avoid messaging from APRSISCE/32 (or even receiving a message to which an ack must be sent), the following might work for you.”

Messages Checked - If you want messaging to work on APRSISCE/32 (See warning above)“

The way I’m reading it, is check Messages is you want messaging to work, which should work as long as you don’t message or receive one to which an ack must be sent. So if I check messaging I should never message? And I’m not quite sure about messages where an ack *must*be sent.

Thanks for you patience have my questions - APRSIS32 is super-duper fine stuff and I appreciate your efforts!

Bret/N4SRN

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Well, I don't have access to a D710, so I can test or verify those statements.  IIRC, the bulk of that Wiki page was copied from an e-mail discussion on the list.

Maybe someone that is using a D710 in APRS mode with APRSISCE/32 can provide insight into their experience?

On 6/23/2020 8:29 PM, Charles Jessee wrote:

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

I think James uses one. Maybe he will chime in.

Fred N7FMH

[...]

Avast logo

Charles Jessee

Hi Fred,

I sent you a test message at 18:24 today. If received or not, that tells me something.  BRET/N4SRN

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Bret,

I saw it today. I don’t always sit down to my PC.

Fred N7FMH