Fun with filters (Really just some questions)

Justin Cherington

Ok thanks for the info. I was hoping that I could blacklist, we’ve got lots of people who abuse aprs and aren’t interested in learning. The -b filter was helpful in the past but I like your software enough to get over it.

sounds like RF to IS isn’t really customizable, but IS to RF is? I thought I saw in the docs that creating a satgate was possible. In that scenario you wouldn’t want to gate directly heard RF, only that which was digipeated by the sat.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:automatic-filters for a full description of APRSIS32 automatic filters.

The m/ and r/ filters are automatic, but the 9 comes from your Configure / General / Range which is specified in 1/10 miles, but goes out in the filter as kilometers.

Rest easy, the filter only applies to what the APRS-IS will be sending to you, not what you will be gating to the APRS-IS.  APRSIS32 adheres to the IGate specification at http://www.aprs-is.net/IGateDetails.aspx, specifically:

Gate all packets heard on RF to the Internet EXCEPT if any of the following are true:

  1. (AX.25 RF) The packet does not have a control field of 0x03 or a PID of 0xf0.
  2. The TNC has PASSALL turned on.
  3. 3rd-party packets (data type } ) with TCPIP or TCPXX in the 3rd party header.
    3rd-party packets without TCPXX or TCPIP mnust have the RF header and the 3rd party data type stripped before passing to APRS-IS.
  4. generic queries (data type ? ).
  5. packets with TCPIP, TCPXX, NOGATE, or RFONLY in the header (last 2 are optional).
Note that there is no provision for "black-listing" stations.  If you copy it on an RF-type port and none of the above conditions are true, then the packet will be gated to the APRS-IS.  Assuming, of course, that you have the appropriate enables on both the RF and APRS-IS port.

On 3/25/2020 8:44 PM, Justin Cherington wrote:
Ok, I have used filters in Direwolf but am trying it in aprsis32 for the first time.  I entered two -b filters for two calls signs that involve pilots just swamping the area almost daily with 30 second beacon rates and WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1 paths.  I entered them in the Configure>General>add filters box.  I wish to ignore these guys and not gate them in either direction.

I then surprisingly got a pop up box (attached) that showed what I entered but also what looks like a 9 mile range filter around my location.  We have mountain top digis here with 80 mile ranges, (I decode them 50+ miles away all day) so I want to make sure I am not neglecting to gate some packets needlessly.  Or does the m/9 filter mean something altogether different?  I did not enter that so I assume it is one of the auto filters.  Thanks!

Justin Cherington