Two way igate not working.

Justin Cherington

Hi everyone.  I am using an FTM400 radio connected to a Mobilinkd TNC3, which is communicating to APRSIS32 developer version on a windows 10 laptop via Bluetooth.  I have successfully ran this setup as a fill in digipeater and it works beautifully, as does using it as an rx igate.  For some reason it refuses to be a two way igate though.  I'll post some screenshots of everything that is setup but here it is in text format:  TNC3 port activated and working on all other ways, APRS-IS enabled, Internet enabled,RF to IS and IS to RF boxes checked.  I also have these checked under the TNC3 port options:  Enabled, Bulletin/Obj, Messages, Xmit Enable, Beacon, and Telemetry.  Me not 3rd is unchecked.

I am on our local UHF APRS 1200 frequency now as it is more quiet, but I have run the Digi log all day and there might be 1000+ RF to IS lines, but never a single IS to RF.  I have no filters setup by myself.  I also tried to send an sms message via smsgte, it made it to my cell since my gate is working as an RX one, but of course I never got the reply back on my HT via my FTM400 50 yards away because it wont TX.  And yes, aprs is setup and operates perfectly on my HT via other peoples igates when I am on the typical 144.39 frequency so I know it isn't a radio setting problem.

Any help would be fantastic!!! And thank you in advance.  Screen shots below:

andy robeson

I think you will find this is down to the FTM400. I believe that the radio is RX & TX for APRS, but if you want to pass to and from a pc it’s only radio to pc. Not pc to radio.

Regards,
Andy Robeson

On 18 Mar 2020, at 20:05, Justin Cherington via Groups.Io <huntjlc@...> wrote:

[...]

<Capture3.jpg>
<Capture2.JPG>
<Capture1.JPG>

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I assume you're looking for messages to gate from -IS to RF, not arbitrary packets.  With that said, APRSIS32 will only gate a message for a station under the following conditions:

1) The APRS-IS feed delivers such a message to APRSIS32.  This SHOULD be automatic if you're connected to 14580 on an APRS-IS server that is consuming a full feed on the other end and IF the following conditions have been met.

2) A packet has been received from the station addressed in the message "recently" and "near enough".  You can see which stations meet this criteria if you do a View / None followed by a View / RF / Local.  Any station that shows up there are eligible to have messages gated to them.  Or you can send a ?APRSL message which will respond back with a list of stations which are considered "Local".  Yes, you can send this message to yourself in your APRSIS32 IGate instance.

I believe there are several Trace Logs that can provide additional information.  Look for logs called IGate and IGate(NOT), especially the latter as it will show why a message was NOT gated to RF.  Bring up the Trace Log and ensure that you have Enabled it and THEN try getting a message to a local RF station from the APRS-IS.

BTW, the way I usually test is with an HT, I'll send a message to "ISS" (without the quotes) and see if I get the auto-response back.  If you're not familiar with the SATSRV, read http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satsrv

Or send an APRS station ID (callsign-SSID like KJ4ERJ-12) to "QRZ" (again without the quotes and see what comes back.

On 3/18/2020 4:00 PM, Justin Cherington wrote:
[...]

That would be true if he was using an FTM-350 type port, but he's got a KISS-mode TNC3 connected via audio to the radio if I read the screen shots correctly.  That was EXACTLY my first thought until I looked more closely at his text and his pictures.

On 3/18/2020 4:54 PM, andy robeson wrote:
[...]

Thank you, I’ll give this a go tomorrow morning as it’s now raining here. I appreciate it.

Justin Cherington

Yes the FTM400 without an external TNC is receive only.  But with a TNC or some other interface it becomes just like any other radio. I’m not relying on it’s aprs modem.

Justin Cherington

Thanks Lynn, I was able to get it working this morning.  I sent a message via smsgte on my HT to my truck in the driveway that has the solar charged FTM400 and TNC3, which then gated it.  Once the message was received on my phone I responded and the process reversed until it was displayed on the HT.  Looking at the logs it went as it should.  I appreciate the help.

*One more thing* I enabled frequency monitor and it will not turn off.  There is a checkmark next to it but when I click again it just pulls up a stations frequency in a new window, but the checkmark remains.  Even after closing the software and reopening it.  Any advice?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

With the Frequency Monitor window visible, try unchecking the checkmark.  Or right click in the window and disable it from there.

On 3/19/2020 10:38 AM, Justin Cherington wrote:
Thanks Lynn, I was able to get it working this morning.  I sent a message via smsgte on my HT to my truck in the driveway that has the solar charged FTM400 and TNC3, which then gated it.  Once the message was received on my phone I responded and the process reversed until it was displayed on the HT.  Looking at the logs it went as it should.  I appreciate the help.

*One more thing* I enabled frequency monitor and it will not turn off.  There is a checkmark next to it but when I click again it just pulls up a stations frequency in a new window, but the checkmark remains.  Even after closing the software and reopening it.  Any advice?

Justin Cherington

That worked!  Always appreciated.  I will leave you alone now for a bit =)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Glad everything is working now.  It's not a bother, ask away!

On 3/19/2020 12:36 PM, Justin Cherington wrote:
That worked!  Always appreciated.  I will leave you alone now for a bit =)

KD7YZ Bob

"BTW, the way I usually test is with an HT, I'll send a message to "ISS" (without the quotes) and see if I get the auto-response back. If you're not familiar with the SATSRV, read http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:satsrv"

07:50:47 New Chat Between KD7YZ-15 and ISS on 2020-03-28
07:51:23> TEST ISS
07:51:31< AOS 8h22m (2013z) SE^18

COOL. THAT was fun. Thanks Lesson Lynn.

KD7YZ Bob EM88LL