Getting APRSIS TO tx/rx on RF

g6yrk@...

Hi
I have read a lot of posts on here but cannot find one that answers my question.
I have been using APRSIS for a long time on a Win7 machine with out any problems, and decided to upgrade to Win10, so I
downloaded and installed the program on the Win10 Pro machine and the program runs ok, I am receiving stations via the internet
but cannot receive or transmit via RF, I am using the same hardware as before but still no joy.
I am running a FT4700, with a Siskin Tiny2 on Com1
Not getting any error mesages, but just no RF, I have configured the rf port and enabled

Any help please

Steve

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Open a terminal program and talk to the TNC directly over COM1.  Make sure APRSIS32 is NOT running when you do this as Windows doesn't share COMM ports between two programs.

You should see something in the terminal emulator when packets are received, even if the TNC is in KISS mode.

On 1/23/2020 2:55 PM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Hi
I have read a lot of posts on here but cannot find one that answers my question.
I have been using APRSIS for a long time on a Win7 machine with out any problems, and decided to upgrade to Win10, so I
downloaded and installed the program on the Win10 Pro machine and the program runs ok, I am receiving stations via the internet
but cannot receive or transmit via RF, I am using the same hardware as before but still no joy.
I am running a FT4700, with a Siskin Tiny2 on Com1
Not getting any error mesages, but just no RF, I have configured the rf port and enabled

Any help please

Steve

Min

Look at the windows driver for the coms port as that is the normal issue. Windows thinks you should have a new driver and then screws up the system.

Min Standen G0JMS
07917 830 410

On 23 Jan 2020 19:55, g6yrk@... wrote:
Hi
I have read a lot of posts on here but cannot find one that answers my question.
I have been using APRSIS for a long time on a Win7 machine with out any problems, and decided to upgrade to Win10, so I
downloaded and installed the program on the Win10 Pro machine and the program runs ok, I am receiving stations via the internet
but cannot receive or transmit via RF, I am using the same hardware as before but still no joy.
I am running a FT4700, with a Siskin Tiny2 on Com1
Not getting any error mesages, but just no RF, I have configured the rf port and enabled

Any help please

Steve

Rob Giuliano

I am curious if you copied (or moved) your original XML to the new Windows 10 machine, or started over?
I am not familiar with teh Siskin Tiny2.   What type of interface is it: DB9, USB, or other?
   I saw one article on 9600 baud that mentioned "Phil Bridges G6DLJ of Siskin Electronics Ltd" but no mention of the product.

COM1 is typically a hardware port on most computers.  If it is a USB interface and you assigned the USB device to COM1, some computers hold that for the hardware interface (even if the motherboard doesn't have it).

On Thursday, January 23, 2020, 4:08:27 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Lyn, I have now tried that and it is receiving packets on the terminal but not on software

g6yrk@...

Hi Rob, I am XML file from the new install! the interface from the Tiny2 is via DB9 and I am using 9600baud, and there is a dedicated com board in the PC

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, what version of APRSIS32 are you running?  If you freshly downloaded it and haven't yet set it for development mode, you'll want to do that.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

Once running the latest development version, go to View / Logs / Port(<YourPortName>) and enable it.  Then disable the RF port and enable it again and see what the trace log shows as packets are received.

I don't think you mentioned what port type you're using in APRSIS32?  If the TNC is locked in KISS mode, then it should be Simply(KISS).  The KISS port type is for Kenwood APRS radios prior to the D74.

On 1/24/2020 7:10 AM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Hi Lyn, I have now tried that and it is receiving packets on the terminal but not on software

g6yrk@...

Hi Lynn I am not sure what version it is as all it says is: "Current version verified" but not sure about the development mode I cannot find that on the software

Catalin

Hi !

First, try to disable APRS-IS (from Enable menu) and check if RF part starts to work.

73! de YO3FVR

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have read a lot of posts on here but cannot find one that answers my question.
I have been using APRSIS for a long time on a Win7 machine with out any problems, and decided to upgrade to Win10, so I
downloaded and installed the program on the Win10 Pro machine and the program runs ok, I am receiving stations via the internet
but cannot receive or transmit via RF, I am using the same hardware as before but still no joy.
I am running a FT4700, with a Siskin Tiny2 on Com1
Not getting any error mesages, but just no RF, I have configured the rf port and enabled

Any help please

Steve

Lynn Deffenbaugh

In the About box it should show a Built: date/timestamp.  If it is 2012, you are not on the latest development.  Follow the instructions at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

Note: In Development mode, it will say "Current Development version verified".

On 1/24/2020 10:27 AM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Hi Lynn I am not sure what version it is as all it says is: "Current version verified" but not sure about the development mode I cannot find that on the software

g6yrk@...

Hi again, I have uninstalled the version I had but cannot find a Development version
have you a link please ?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Like I said, follow the instructions at the following link.  You start with the general release version, close it, edit the APRSIS32.xml file as described, restart it, and then check About.  There will be a button there to install the upgrade.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:development-version

There is no direct download link for the development version.

On 1/24/2020 1:53 PM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Hi again, I have uninstalled the version I had but cannot find a Development version
have you a link please ?

Rob Giuliano

Can you copy the exe and xml from the old computer?

Otherwise, there is no link to the development version.  The non-development version will download and install it when the XML setting is set (per Lynn's previous email and link to the wiki.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 13:53, g6yrk@...
<g6yrk@...> wrote:
Hi again, I have uninstalled the version I had but cannot find a Development version
have you a link please ?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

He is finally running the development version and has opted to go to a private exchange with me.  I'll try to encourage him to get back to the group so others can a) benefit, and/or b) think of things that I haven't.

On 1/24/2020 7:26 PM, Rob Giuliano via Groups.Io wrote:
Can you copy the exe and xml from the old computer?

Otherwise, there is no link to the development version.  The non-development version will download and install it when the XML setting is set (per Lynn's previous email and link to the wiki.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 13:53, g6yrk@...
Hi again, I have uninstalled the version I had but cannot find a Development version
have you a link please ?

g6yrk@...

Well what can I say, what a good job Lynn did last night sorting my problem out, plus I also learnt a lot about APRSIS that I did not know, and I have been using since it since about 2003
but we (Lynn) found the problem was down to the "Kiss" settings, I had it set to Simply (KISS) and my old system running on Win7 was Just "KISS" so changed it and hey presto it worked
and we were chatting on APRSIS untill about 02:30 in the morning trying to sort it

But Very Many thanks Lynn and putting up with some of my questions

Steve G6YRK  uk

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I'm glad we got it worked out.  I'm still surprised that the <Open/CloseCmd>s from the Kenwood APRS radios (lurking beneath the "KISS" port type) actually made your TNC function, but function it did!

According to the query I just did (?APRSH *), you've copied packets from 5 stations in the past 2 hours or so:

G3CWI-5(1) G6YRK-7 M0WIT-9(2) M1VIP-9(2) MB7UMC

G6YRK-7 and MB7UMC were copied direct and the other 3 were via digipeats.  Is G6YRK-7 your APRS HT?  If so, what was the magic to get it decoded and received?

On 1/25/2020 10:02 AM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Well what can I say, what a good job Lynn did last night sorting my problem out, plus I also learnt a lot about APRSIS that I did not know, and I have been using since it since about 2003
but we (Lynn) found the problem was down to the "Kiss" settings, I had it set to Simply (KISS) and my old system running on Win7 was Just "KISS" so changed it and hey presto it worked
and we were chatting on APRSIS untill about 02:30 in the morning trying to sort it

But Very Many thanks Lynn and putting up with some of my questions

Steve G6YRK  uk

Jeffrey Golas

How do you do these queries? Is it possible to do within the software?

Jeff

On Jan 25, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, just send an APRS message to the station you want to query.  You can even send an APRS message to yourself to query your own station.

All queries start with a ?.  If you send an invalid query (like ?JUNK) APRSIS32 will respond with the queries that are supported.

        > Support[1/2]: ?APRSD ?APRSL ?APRSH ?APRSM ?APRSO ?APRSP ?APRSS
        > Support[2/2]:?APRST/?PING? ?ABOUT/?APRSV/?VER ?CPU ?DX ?IGATE

The only odd-ball is ?APRSH (query heard).  By default it will respond with the path over which the query was received.   But if you add a trailing * (?APRSH *), it will respond with a list of all stations heard via RF ports.  ?APRSD responds with the direct stations (no hops used), ?APRSL with local (<2 hops and past N minutes).  The number in () will be the calculated used hop count with (0) suppressed for directly-received stations.

https://robust-packet.net/documents/APRS-Queries.pdf has an interesting list although I didn't study it in detail just now.

On 1/25/2020 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Golas wrote:
[...]

Ah cool I didnt realize that was a thing. Thanks!

Jeff

On Jan 25, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, just send an APRS message to the station you want to query.  You can even send an APRS message to yourself to query your own station.

All queries start with a ?.  If you send an invalid query (like ?JUNK) APRSIS32 will respond with the queries that are supported.

        > Support[1/2]: ?APRSD ?APRSL ?APRSH ?APRSM ?APRSO ?APRSP ?APRSS
        > Support[2/2]:?APRST/?PING? ?ABOUT/?APRSV/?VER ?CPU ?DX ?IGATE

The only odd-ball is ?APRSH (query heard).  By default it will respond with the path over which the query was received.   But if you add a trailing * (?APRSH *), it will respond with a list of all stations heard via RF ports.  ?APRSD responds with the direct stations (no hops used), ?APRSL with local (<2 hops and past N minutes).  The number in () will be the calculated used hop count with (0) suppressed for directly-received stations.

https://robust-packet.net/documents/APRS-Queries.pdf has an interesting list although I didn't study it in detail just now.

On 1/25/2020 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Golas wrote:
How do you do these queries? Is it possible to do within the software?

Jeff

On Jan 25, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I'm glad we got it worked out.  I'm still surprised that the <Open/CloseCmd>s from the Kenwood APRS radios (lurking beneath the "KISS" port type) actually made your TNC function, but function it did!

According to the query I just did (?APRSH *), you've copied packets from 5 stations in the past 2 hours or so:

G3CWI-5(1) G6YRK-7 M0WIT-9(2) M1VIP-9(2) MB7UMC

G6YRK-7 and MB7UMC were copied direct and the other 3 were via digipeats.  Is G6YRK-7 your APRS HT?  If so, what was the magic to get it decoded and received?

On 1/25/2020 10:02 AM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Well what can I say, what a good job Lynn did last night sorting my problem out, plus I also learnt a lot about APRSIS that I did not know, and I have been using since it since about 2003
but we (Lynn) found the problem was down to the "Kiss" settings, I had it set to Simply (KISS) and my old system running on Win7 was Just "KISS" so changed it and hey presto it worked
and we were chatting on APRSIS untill about 02:30 in the morning trying to sort it

But Very Many thanks Lynn and putting up with some of my questions

Steve G6YRK  uk

Kako Lizares

Hi try to check your soundcard config..