Topics

How often does an APRS DIGI need to I'd?

K7OI-Mark

Hi K7OI (Mark)
I remember when aprs first started there was chatter about how often to id.
Is there a rule about beaconing or digipeater.

Currently my beacon is set to 60m.
K7OI(Mark)

Randy Love

Depends.
If your Digi is using a callsign, then it id's every packet that is send, whether originated by APRISCE, or digipeated.

If your digi is using a tactical call, say for example BIGMTN, just have a status message or beacon text sent every 10 mins with you callsign in it.
US regulations, of course.

73,
Randy
WF5X
(SHLBTP digi)

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:24 AM K7OI-Mark <K7oi.us@...> wrote:
Hi K7OI (Mark)
I remember when aprs first started there was chatter about how often to id.
Is there a rule about beaconing or digipeater.

Currently my beacon is set to 60m.
K7OI(Mark)

David Andrzejewski

This is what I do. My digis use meaningful callsigns with their location, and I just have it set to send an ax.25 packet with my callsign every 10 minutes. That way there’s no gray area and it follows US regs.

--

David Andrzejewski
E-mail/iMessage/Jabber: david@...

On Dec 20, 2019, at 11:31, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

Depends.
If your Digi is using a callsign, then it id's every packet that is send, whether originated by APRISCE, or digipeated.

If your digi is using a tactical call, say for example BIGMTN, just have a status message or beacon text sent every 10 mins with you callsign in it.
US regulations, of course.

73,
Randy
WF5X
(SHLBTP digi)

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:24 AM K7OI-Mark <K7oi.us@...> wrote:
Hi K7OI (Mark)
I remember when aprs first started there was chatter about how often to id.
Is there a rule about beaconing or digipeater.

Currently my beacon is set to 60m.
K7OI(Mark)

Robert Bruninga

Just to confirm.   Please never send a 10 minute DIGI id over any digi path.  Send it local direct. (no hops)

If it also has a 30 minute copy then that can be sent via a single WIDE2-1 so that it can be seen in the region but less frequently.  If you have a one hour beacon, then that can be a WIDE2-2 path if the local channel is not to busy, but that will cove entire states back east…

These details are buried in http://aprs.org/fix14439.html

On that page we have shown a method of using the 4 LTexts and single BText to send a local 10 minute beacon, and a regional (1 hop) 30 minute beacon.  This leaves three more texts available for LOCAL frequency objects (Also sent locally, Direct (no hops) once every ten minutes. See http://aprs.org/localinfo.html

Only the digi can originate these things, because only the digi has a high sight and will only transmit this local info when the channel is truly clear so tht it does not interfere with any other packets.

Do not generate these extra objects at home. Because that location cannot hear all the channel the digi hears and will be just another hidden transmitter adding congestion on the channel.

Bob, WB4APR

[...]

George Smith <n7jjy@...>

I have 8 digi's and I make them I'd once an hour and the path set for wide1-1 consideration for it reaching an igate or 2 in case one igate goes down it would digi through another one to reach another igate.  Wide2-1 is a waste of space for a digi especially ones in high places as I have seen it happen in Colorado. The only job if the digi is to get a signal to the nearest igate ONLY. IMHO.
de N7JJY

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 9:53 AM, Robert Bruninga
<bruninga@...> wrote:

[...]

I think you might be misunderstanding WIDE2-1.  That is a single hop just like WIDE1-1.  (It’s the -1 that counts).  But it has the advantage of not brining up all those WIDE1-1 digis that are only fill ins.

My house is a fill-in WIDE1-1 but each time it digipeats, it messes up the TV.  I don’t mind that when there is a local mobile passing by (very rare) but it is frustrating when someone with a high location (such as a digi) uses the path  of WIDE1-1 and squiggles my TV on every beacon 24/7/365…

Bob, WB4APR

[...]

Maybe. But watching the actual beacons there are numerous digi's repeating a beacon with the path set to wide2-1.   Just my observation!!

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:07 AM, Robert Bruninga
<bruninga@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, everyone that hears it will repeat it once.  And digis can hear each other quite a distance away. (when not collided).

Bob

[...]

Yes once and from watching the beacon string even twice. just saying

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM, Robert Bruninga
<bruninga@...> wrote:

[...]

My digis follow this recommendation to the T.

[...]

K tnx fer info. Looked on Aprs.fi at my telemetry and it appears I'm ok. Using my call k7oi-8 for every transmission not an object like Snkrvr.
My ant is at 20ft 3db gain and running 10w for now just to see what's happening as I learn. Seems my 857d is still putting right along and hopefully it's filling in where needed as needed. Guess I'll wait to hear what others in the area think.
73s
K7OI-8

K7OI-Mark

Thanks I've read that link info b4 have a better understanding now and read it again.
Tnx 73s