Topics

KAM-XL symbol (was: GPS Setup SOLVED)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What particular station was showing a boat vs a red dot?  I'd like to track down and explain the choice of symbol.

On 10/21/2019 3:55 AM, Julian wrote:
Hi Brandon, I haven't experimented with APRSISCE GPS yet, but programs working with NMEA normally pick up the GPGGA and GPRMC data as these strings contain position, altitude, speed etc. As long as the GPS (possibly GLONASS) unit TXes these strings everything should be OK: https://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm   https://youtu.be/AXwSYz6htsg
I can see you have got a Fix Quality of 2 in the GGA string which is very good. I am no expert in GPS, but I had to learn few things, forced by the hobby... I have experimented with Kantronics KAM-XL where you can find a similar setup, GPS wise. What I have noticed is that APRSISCE shows the KAM-XL GPS waypoins with a boat symbol (I am assuming it could because boats use a similar format in their positioning system?), aprs.fi on the other hand shows them correctly as waypoints (red dot). aprsdirect.com doesn't show them at all ( I learned aprsdirect.com doesn't show APRS Items either). aprs.fi won't show waypoints with a poor Fix Quality aka zero.
Good luck and regards,73 de J M0IPU YO3FCA

Julian

Hi Lynn. Tnx for coming back on this one. The stn is M0IPU-8, a setup I was playing with on my KAM-XL. I am attaching couple of pics anyway. Re Red Dot, I have also read your Wiki doc on the subject, but I believe aprs.fi uses it for current location on iconless... stns/GPGGA statements. I am not 100%. I didn't go through their help files.

Regards, J, M0IPU YO3FCA

Note: I believe the Yahoo group link needs to be updated on Wiki

Randy Love

You're seeing a boat in APRSIS32 because the SSID -8 is a boat since there is no other indicator of symbol.
APRS.fi is defaulting it to a red dot tho..

From the APRS spec:
image.png

73,
Randy
WF5X

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 1:41 PM Julian <iulianp@...> wrote:

Hi Lynn. Tnx for coming back on this one. The stn is M0IPU-8, a setup I was playing with on my KAM-XL. I am attaching couple of pics anyway. Re Red Dot, I have also read your Wiki doc on the subject, but I believe aprs.fi uses it for current location on iconless... stns/GPGGA statements. I am not 100%. I didn't go through their help files.

Regards, J, M0IPU YO3FCA

Note: I believe the Yahoo group link needs to be updated on Wiki

Julian

Hi Randy. To be honest this is the 1st time I see this table, SSID defined icons!  I didn't realise icons can be defined by the SSID in APRS. This is very useful in my case, "pure" GPGGA statements. I'll need to polish my APRS skills... he he. I am assuming aprs.fi has not implemented this feature, probably stn status conflicts etc? Many thanks.
I have tried SSID -4; truly, APRSISCE shows a bicycle; red dot in aprs.fi
Regards and 73 de J, M0IPU YO3FCA