GPS Setup SOLVED

Brandon Clark

Hello group,

I found a section of the GPS dongle's configuration utility where you can tell the dongle how to send the NMEA strings. Two of the settings are called "Main Talker ID" and "GSV Talker ID". They were previously set as follows:
Main Talker ID: 0-system dependent
GSV Talker ID: 0-GNSS Specific

I'm far from a GPS expert (obviously), but I think the dongle was formatting the data strings differently based on what type of satellite system the data was coming from. I changed those settings to the following:
Main Talker ID: 1-GP (GPS)
GSV Talker ID: 1-Use Main Talker ID

After flashing those instructions to the dongle I reopened the virtual COM port in PuTTY. Everything is not coming through as $GPxxx type strings:

There is still all that funky stuff at the beginning, but I guess that's normal because it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Anyway, when I engage the port in APRSIS32 again I get a full lock almost immediately, as expected.
73,
Brandon Clark, KL7BSC

Julian

Hi Brandon, I haven't experimented with APRSISCE GPS yet, but programs working with NMEA normally pick up the GPGGA and GPRMC data as these strings contain position, altitude, speed etc. As long as the GPS (possibly GLONASS) unit TXes these strings everything should be OK: https://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm   https://youtu.be/AXwSYz6htsg
I can see you have got a Fix Quality of 2 in the GGA string which is very good. I am no expert in GPS, but I had to learn few things, forced by the hobby... I have experimented with Kantronics KAM-XL where you can find a similar setup, GPS wise. What I have noticed is that APRSISCE shows the KAM-XL GPS waypoins with a boat symbol (I am assuming it could because boats use a similar format in their positioning system?), aprs.fi on the other hand shows them correctly as waypoints (red dot). aprsdirect.com doesn't show them at all ( I learned aprsdirect.com doesn't show APRS Items either). aprs.fi won't show waypoints with a poor Fix Quality aka zero.
Good luck and regards,73 de J M0IPU YO3FCA

Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...>

The first two lines may be a communication link or baud rate connection to your computer from the GPS. Once that function happens the gps is running and linked to your computer.