Topics

APRSISCE/TN-D710 set-up

kobvbg3lifoji5e6puvt3avv33qmjisqhwybn7g6@...

I am running a Dell machine with Windows 10.

Connected to the Dell via the supplied accessory cable supplied by Kenwood and is connected to the D710 on the back of the control head then to a USB port on the Dell.  The Dell does not have a 9 pin connection on the back.

On the computer screen is running the APRSICE/32 software.  When connected to the Internet I see all kinds of stations popping up.  When not connected to the Internet I only see my call AF5AA-1 on the screen.

I have read the documentation on APRSISCE both on the Internet and user's manual.  I do not think I have the set-up correct because reading the documentation I see all kinds of things I am missing.

Is there a detailed description on how to connect and set-up APRSISCE?  I want the D710 to feed the computer with information not the Internet.

Thanks:

Burt

AF5AA.

Don Poaps

I've only used the head comm port for Winlink Express. I used the data port on the body for everything else.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 9:54 AM kobvbg3lifoji5e6puvt3avv33qmjisqhwybn7g6@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

J Lineback <jelineback@...>

Probably dumb questions but have caught me out on occasion… is the TNC switched on, and showing the correct speed?

On Sep 8, 2019, at 1:19 PM, Don Poaps va7dgp@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

Randy Allen

I've learned from hard experience that you need to connect the data cable to the Control Head, NOT the radio body when using APRS (specifically APRSIS32).  The TNC resides in the control head.

Respectfully,

Randy Allen KAØAZS

---In aprsisce@..., <va7dgp@...> wrote :

I've only used the head comm port for Winlink Express. I used the data port on the body for everything else.

73

Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE

Randy Allen

I've been walking a couple of hams through this recently and finally found time to write up what I have found to work. When I get a chance I'll add screen shots and post to the files section. Hope this helps:

First, read this page on the APRSIS32 Wiki: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

Computer Set Up:

Check the baud rate of the COM port you will be using in device manager

Radio Set Up:

Menu 604: COM Port. Set to ON

Menu 929 (AUX, COM PORT, BAUD RATE) Set it to match the baud rate for the computer COM port

Menu 601: INTERNAL TNC, DATA SPEED. That should be set to 1200 bps for APRS work on VHF.

Set TNC to APRS12 or PACKET12 depending on the APRSIS32 port you will be using (see below)

Radio to computer connection.

Connect the data cable being used (such as the Kenwood PG5g) to the computer and the port on the Control Head, not the body of the radio. The port on the body is only for programming the radio (memories, settings, etc.), Echo Link, and connecting with an HF rig. The TNC resides in the control head and that's what that port is for.

APRSIS32 Setup

For the D710, there are 2 pre-canned ports that can set up: KWD710(APRS) and KWD710(PKT).

KWD710(APRS) maintains the radio's internal APRS and GPS features and passes data to the computer. The radio maintains control of transmissions. See full details at the Wiki page linked above.

KWD710(PKT) turns off the radio's APRS features and give full control of the TNC to the computer. In this mode GPS data from the radio is not available.

You start by creating a port: Configure; Ports, New Port.

Use the Type drop down box to select what type of port you are creating. (I would create one of each to make it easier to switch between the different modes with the D710). Name the port whatever you want to find it quickly later.

Click the Create button, then click on the COMn Serial button on the next pop up screen

Set the Port number and Baud rate in the Port Configuration pop up to match the baud rate of the computer's COM port and the COM port on the radio. ( leave the Parity, Data and Stop bits as default, they are pretty standard these days). Click OK.

Make any changes you want to the Port settings (as described in the D710 Wiki page) and click on Accept. (note: the RF Baud is grayed out and fixed at 1200, it has nothing do with the Com port settings)

You set which port you want to use by going to Enables, Ports and clicking on the desired port, putting a check mark next to it. You disable it by clicking on it again and removing the check mark. Match the radio TNC Mode (PACKET12 or APRS12) to the port you are using.

he ports and radio TNC settings are a matched pair.

Use the 710 APRS port when the radio set to APRS12

Use the 710 Packet port when the radio is set to PACKET12

For diagnostic purposes I set the scroller to show RF stations only to ensure that I am not seeing stations coming in from an internet connection: Configure; Scroller; check RF Only.

Having an APRS handheld radio (such as my TH-D74) is handy to ensure everything is working and to troubleshoot, particularly if you are in a location with limited RF APRS activity.

Randy KAØAZS

Tyler Griffiths

Randy Allen

The only issue I see with that cable is that it has a straight data connector rather the 90 degree connector of the Kenwood stock cable (which of course these days usually requires a serial-USB converter). That would not work for me in mobile operations as the space between my control head and dash is too tight (the stock cable just barely fits). It would not be an issue working a portable station out of the vehicle.

That being said, I have this bookmarked for future reference. Thanks.

73

Randy KAØAZS

KD7YZ Bob

On 9/9/2019 10:51, ka0azs@earthlink.net [aprsisce] wrote:
I've been walking a couple of hams through this recently and finally found time to write up what I have found to work. When I get a chance I'll add screen shots and post to the files section. Hope this helps:
First, read this page on the APRSIS32 Wiki: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710
Computer Set Up:
Check the baud rate of the COM port you will be using in device manager .......
OK Randy, I have dutifully followed the outline u sent ( this one on this page is the same if anyone else asks).

Now to see if my PSTRotator progream will setr the Rx on the D710GA to match the Sat Freq.

Not that you covered that. However the "WiKi" article "seems" to say the D710 can be taken over ... so we'll see.

--
73
Bob KD7YZ

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Just remember, Windows only allows one program at a time to access any given COM port.  But to change the frequency, you'll have to cable to the base unit, not the head, so you'll need two cables and COM ports anyway.

On 9/10/2019 7:13 AM, Bob KD7YZ kd7yz@denstarfarm.us [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

Posted by: Bob KD7YZ <kd7yz@denstarfarm.us>

Yahoo Groups Links