Topics

APRS

Joe WB9SBD

Hello Everyone,

What I am about to ask below, if it has recently been asked and answered, please accept my apology. I have zero access to the web page with all the old messages and I just joined this afternoon.

I'm getting back into APRS after a long absence. And I was talking to a guy that still does it and I asked him this.

APRS, with modern computers and all the fancy stuff you see they can do now.

Is there a way to monitor APRS with just a computer and soundcard?

I mean what can be in a old vintage 1980's TNC that can not be done with a computer program and soundcard instead?

And he sent me to this program..
I installed it and got it up and running. I even saw my Home computer on aprs.fi, so it's working.

NOW,,, If I have audio from 144.39 how do I put it into this program?

Joe WB9SBD

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Take a look at DireWolf. It's a sound-card TNC to which APRSISCE/32 can connect.

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf

On 8/11/2019 9:00 PM, Joe nss@mwt.net [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

KP3FT

Download "soundmodem100.zip" from here: http://uz7.ho.ua/packetradio.htm .  After you install it, change its device settings to see your computer's soundcard, and make sure "AGWPE Server Port" is enabled and set to 8000.

Go to APRSis32settings and create a new port as Type "AGW".  Give it a name like SoundModem or whatever you'd like.  Set its TCP Configuration to IP 127.0.0.1 and Port 8000.  Run an audio cable from the radio's speaker-out to the line-in or mic jack of the soundcard.

If there's any conventional packet activity in your area (or HF packet) and you'd like to try it, download EasyTerm from the same website.  It's a packet terminal program that works with the SoundModem TNC, for connecting to nodes, BBS's, etc.

On Sunday, August 11, 2019, 9:01:50 PM EDT, Joe nss@... [aprsisce]

[...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Joe WB9SBD

I tried DireWolf, but was quickly confused.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 8/11/2019 9:00 PM, Joe nss@... [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

    aprsisce-digest@...
    aprsisce-fullfeatured@...

Both Lynn and Jeff have provided sound card modem programs and Jeff gave instructions on the APRSIS32 port type.

I will add:

You mention "monitoring" APRS, so if you are looking at receive only, A simple RTL2832U Software Defined Radio dongle will work great for the radio receiver, but as an IGATE, it is recommended that your station have TX capability.

To add TX:
  If your radio does not have VOX, you will need a PTT circuit in order to get you radio to transmit.
  There are many options, but search the internet to see what those many options are, and find one that you can use.

TX ease is probably the the only thing the Vintage 1980s TNC has that is "a little extra work" when using a PC and sound card.

On Sunday, August 11, 2019, 9:01:46 PM EDT, Joe nss@... [aprsisce] wrote:

[...]

hi Robert,

Working on it.  I got literally dozens of HT's and other rigs to use for listening, so that is not an issue.  and yes just want to listen for now.

Joe WB9SBD

On 8/11/2019 9:42 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:
[...]

Even though you got confused, I'd still look at DireWolf.
Ask questions on here and/or on their support group.  From my experience, both have good support.

In the APRSis32 menu choose
  >Configure
    >Ports
         >New Port ...
In the popup:
For >Type (combo box) choose AGW
  Name it what you like (say maybe 'DireWolf')

Next popup is port type:  TCP/IP

Next popup is TCP configuration:  localhost (if on the same computer, or you will have to give an IP or hostname)
   Port: 8000

For the DireWolf side, the biggest issue is the sound card identification.
   I typically run DireWolf to see the options (they are numbered).
   Then close direwolf and  open direwolf.conf
   Change the ADEVICE # # to match your computer (input # then Output #)
    ACHANNELS 1        for mono mic input
    MYCALL

You should be able to leave everything else as the defaults.
NOTE: scroll down and make sure AGWPORT 8000 is not commented out

If you have issues, post again, put include the DireWolf version and maybe the response from DireWolf on your sound card(s).