Topics

APRS-IS Servers

Gurdon Wolfe

I've been using rotate.aprs2.net as my default server however recently it was suggested

that I change my server to noam.aprs2.net. I made the change but so far haven't noticed

any difference. What are the benefits of using one over the other? My location is east

central Florida.

73, Don

W4GCW

Rob Giuliano

As I understand it, area specific.
Noam is for North America and rotates through available North American servers

Rotate can connect to any server world wide.
In theory there could be a slight difference in reponse from post to available, but it is so slight you would not notice it.

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 5:59:18 PM EDT, w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I've been using rotate.aprs2.net as my default server however recently it was suggested

that I change my server to noam.aprs2.net. I made the change but so far haven't noticed

any difference. What are the benefits of using one over the other? My location is east

central Florida.

73, Don

W4GCW

Arnold Harding. - KQ6DI

Running as an IGate, I notice big differences in the server.  Maybe it's because I live in an area with multiple IGates, so connecting to a 'faster' server only makes it look like it's quicker (earliest into the system gets the count?).  In theory, from USA to Perth Australia might be 70 mS?  And another 70 mS back?  So maybe the difference is only an illusion.

Arnold, KQ6DI

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019, 5:59:18 PM EDT, w4gcw@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

I've been using rotate.aprs2.net as my default server however recently it was suggested

that I change my server to noam.aprs2.net. I made the change but so far haven't noticed

any difference. What are the benefits of using one over the other? My location is east

central Florida.

73, Don

W4GCW

Gurdon Wolfe