From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 9:53 AM
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: RE: [aprsisce] Any way to block object or sender?

Hey Arnold, check this out!

From: aprsisce@... [mailto:aprsisce@...]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:16 PM
To: aprsisce
Subject: [aprsisce] Any way to block object or sender? [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from ARNOLD HARDING included below]

I've been asking this question for years without any reasonable answer.  Is there any way to block objects or whatever the heck they are coming from one station?  This one station, KJ6DZB-3 is constantly sending junk like this (and it varies) because his tracker is set wrong.  He doesn't seem to care.  I care because it messes up the APRSIS32 screen, and there isn't any way to stop it as far as I know.  Help please on this...  This is via RF, and via internet is even worse.  Try having stuff like this appear on the screen while doing an event!

Arnold, KQ6DI

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

Where is "footprint"?

Arnold, KQ6DI

On July 29, 2019 at 7:43 AM "'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce@...> wrote:

By the way, uncheck “footprint” and it all goes away.

In you case, it might be the PHG setting that will remove it.

Fred N7FMH

[Attachment(s) from ARNOLD HARDING included below]

I've been asking this question for years without any reasonable answer.  Is there any way to block objects or whatever the heck they are coming from one station?  This one station, KJ6DZB-3 is constantly sending junk like this (and it varies) because his tracker is set wrong.  He doesn't seem to care.  I care because it messes up the APRSIS32 screen, and there isn't any way to stop it as far as I know.  Help please on this...  This is via RF, and via internet is even worse.  Try having stuff like this appear on the screen while doing an event!

Arnold, KQ6DI

Fred Hillhouse

Toolbar Screen Labels Footprint

Fred N7FMH

By the way, uncheck “footprint” and it all goes away.

In you case, it might be the PHG setting that will remove it.

Fred N7FMH

[Attachment(s) from ARNOLD HARDING included below]

I've been asking this question for years without any reasonable answer.  Is there any way to block objects or whatever the heck they are coming from one station?  This one station, KJ6DZB-3 is constantly sending junk like this (and it varies) because his tracker is set wrong.  He doesn't seem to care.  I care because it messes up the APRSIS32 screen, and there isn't any way to stop it as far as I know.  Help please on this...  This is via RF, and via internet is even worse.  Try having stuff like this appear on the screen while doing an event!

Arnold, KQ6DI

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

Fred,

It's not "footprint" or PHG.  Lynn sent the following a year ago, but I am still annoyed by it and haven't found a way to get rid of it.  aprs.fi doesn't show it...

KJ6DZB-3 is a SainSonic AP510 which, IIRC, is tricky to set a
symbol in. This station managed to set a symbol to the secondary table
(\) lower case L (l) which is an "Area Object" to APRS. This is
described in chapter 11 on page 60 of aprs101.pdf. Basically, because
of this symbol, the nnn/mmm in the station's packets are being
interpreted as the type, color, and lat/lon offsets of an area object.
Here's the salient section from aprs101.pdf:

> Area Objects
> Using the \l symbol (i.e. the lower-case letter “L” symbol from the
> Alternate
> Symbol Table) it is possible to define circle, line, ellipse, triangle
> and box
> objects in all colors, either open or filled in, any size from 60 feet
> to 100
> miles.
>
> These Objects are useful for real-time events such as for a
> search-and-rescue,
> or adding a special road or route for a special event.
>
> The Object format is specified as a 7-character APRS Data Extension
> Tyy/Cxx immediately following the l Symbol Code. For example:
> ;OBJECTVVV*ddmm.hhN\dddmm.hhW l Tyy/Cxx
>
> where:
>
> T is the type of object shape.
> /C is the color of the object.
> yy is the square root of the latitude offset in 1/100ths of a degree.
> xx is the square root of the longitude offset in 1/100ths of a degree.
>
> The object type and color codes are as follows:
>

> The latitude/longitude position is the upper left corner of the
> object, and the
> offsets are relative to this position — the yy offset is down from
> this position
> and the xx offset is to the right of this position. (An exception is
> the special
> case of a Type 6 line which is drawn down and to the left).

and it goes on to provide some examples of this.

So, APRSIS32 is just displaying what the station is (inadvertently, most
likely) asking it to display. If you can contact this operator, have
him set his symbol to something else and the visual effects should quit
happening and the nnn/mmm will go back to being interpreted as speed and
heading as s/he likely intends.

I contacted the operator, and he doesn't care.

[...]

David Shrum

Wish I could remember just how long I have been using this program of Lynn's and just discovered today, (because someone asked a question) some "new" features to me. DUH, but I basically just use it to track my son when he is out and about. Thanks Fred N7FMH for pointing this out. Even though I already was using the "footprint", I didn't realize I was, now to 'play' with some of the other screen settings. 😊 Obviously I haven't read all of the WiKi.

Dave N8PU
=====