Topics

Unwanted Follow-Me window

JD Delancy

APRSIS intermittently opens up a "follow me" screen for a N4xxx station.  No clue who that is, nor do I wish to follow it

Anyone have a clue why APRSIS spawns that unwanted follow me?  How do you stop it

   jd

Gurdon Wolfe

Same with people that keep sending their "Special Status", who cares?

Randy Allen

Check to see if that station is transmitting an Emergency Beacon. That would cause a window to open up centered on that station.

It's meant as a means of alerting stations that someone is having an emergency situation.

If it happens on a recurring basis, it most likely is a misconfigured radio/tracker or a user education issue.

73

Randy

KAØAZS

Randy Allen

I actually use the Special status for trackers and other stations during public service events.

It's easy to filter to show only stations with that status at net control to focus on them if there is other APRS activity in the area. (View/Mic-E/Special)

I only run that status during events, but not everyone bothers to reconfigure their status (and I suspect many don't even know what it is or how or why to change it)

73

Randy
KAØAZS