Topics

Editing XML for digipeating

Gurdon Wolfe

I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Lynn Deffenbaugh

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

As for the KPC-3 or KAM, I'll refer you to the specific TNC documentation.  But you probably don't want both APRSISCE/32 and the TNC both doing the digipeating.  Pick one or the other.

On 6/1/2019 3:17 PM, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.

Gurdon Wolfe

I'd rather it be the software.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 8:40 PM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

As for the KPC-3 or KAM, I'll refer you to the specific TNC documentation.  But you probably don't want both APRSISCE/32 and the TNC both doing the digipeating.  Pick one or the other.

On 6/1/2019 3:17 PM, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.

Rob Giuliano

Some TNCs (Like Byonics TT4 and Argent Data Systems T3) can be in KISS mode and still handle other functions, but most commercial TNCs (KPC-3 and KAM) are pretty much a dumb MODEM in KISS mode.  Things like DIGI, mailboxes, etc. are unavailable in KISS mode.  To truly work with APRS applications like APRSIS32 the TNC really needs to be in KISS mode.

wrote:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

As for the KPC-3 or KAM, I'll refer you to the specific TNC documentation.  But you probably don't want both APRSISCE/32 and the TNC both doing the digipeating.  Pick one or the other.

On 6/1/2019 3:17 PM, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.

Gurdon Wolfe

Lynn,

Do I edit the line   or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?
If I add another line do I place it above that line or below it?

On Saturday, June 1, 2019, 8:40:00 PM EDT, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

As for the KPC-3 or KAM, I'll refer you to the specific TNC documentation.  But you probably don't want both APRSISCE/32 and the TNC both doing the digipeating.  Pick one or the other.

On 6/1/2019 3:17 PM, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:
I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.

Rob Giuliano

I think this may have been answered, but I found it in the SPM folder...

KPC3 and KAM will not DIGI (by themself) when in KISS mode.  The computer application (like APRSIS32) has to handle this function.  KISS mode is a simple Modem (modulation from bits to sound) only.  The computer send it bits (with some overhead) and the TNC turns it into the modulated sounds that get transmitted over the air.  On receive the TNC turns those modulated sounds back into bits and sends them to the computer (again with some overhead).

For APRSIS32 to act as a DIGI, you must edit the XML as described here: DigiPeating - APRSISCE/32 The future of Amateur Radio APRS

IMPORTANT:  the inside the port is ignored (furture possible implementatio, but not used in the current version).  You must palce the "common to all port" outside the port descriptions.

On Saturday, June 1, 2019, 3:18:04 PM EDT, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Gurdon Wolfe

Okay, using KAM/KPC is out. So now my question this, do I add
 WIDE1-1=WIDE1*
above or below the line that contains
in radio port?

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Saturday, June 1, 2019, 3:18:04 PM EDT, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I want to setup my station to digipeat. In the XML file under port 1, do I edit the line
line or do I add another line with WIDE1-1=WIDE1* ?

Also, using a KAM or KPC3Plus, what parms do I change to allow the tnc to digi APRS
traffic prior to putting it into KISS mode?

Any help with my problems would be greatly appreciated.

73, Don
W4GCW

  Photoalbum/Logos/ARRL logo lg
Proud member since 1982

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Rob Giuliano

Just curious, why is the KAM/KPC3 out?
   Any commercial TNC you use for RF will likely act the same.

A: Outside the port settings completely

As the wki shows ...
After the last

You will find another (seemingly extra)

Gurdon Wolfe

What I meant was the kam/kpc are out as far as using it as a digi. Editing the software is easier and cheapest.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 6:47 AM, Don Wolfe w4gcw@... [aprsisce]
<aprsisce@...> wrote:

[...]

Many thanks Rob for your instructions. I'll give that a try.
73, Don
W4GCW